I Need A Little Advice!

Decorating By TheCakeGirl87 Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 10:36pm by Jenteach

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 18

So this morning I was approched by one of my co-workers she is a friend but we are not very close. She proceded to tell me that a friend of hers was getting married in September and asked me if I would do the wedding cake. She also wanted it at cost. Its not that I care to do it, its just that I am in college dont have a lot of time or money and dont really think that I should have to do a cake at cost. So I think what I am asking is if you were put in this situation what would you do?

17 replies
msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 18

Tell her you don't have time and can't do it for that cheap.
Or just say my schedule is full for that month.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 18

Just tell her that your schedule is full. You don't have to go into specifics.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 18

I won't tell you what I would tell her - simply NO

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 18

Or maybe tell her time and material like contractors do. Does she work for free? I don't know why she would expect you to make a cake for cost for someone you don't even know!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 18

If I were in that situation I would assess where I am with my cakes and where I want to be, who the cake is for and who and how many will be at the reception. At first glance, it may seem that I'm shallow(I am),but if I'm being asked to basically lose money on a cake, I wanna know how it will benefit me to be so generous. If it's gonna advance my career or get my work noticed I might consider doing it as long as I am in control of the design. She wouldn't be showing up at my place wanting the Taj Mahal on a doublewide budget.

Botanesis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Botanesis Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 18

Absolutely NOT. Some people think a cake is as simple as popping it in the oven, then smothering a little frosting on it.

This girl should know better than to ask you for something like that. Especially if she is a friend. If you say yes, they are going to run all over you. Before you know it, you'll be making each layer a different flavor, the size of it will change, they'll want bigger and better things, all because they can get it cheap.

Please don't do it for cost. I think you'll regret it if you do.

sugarbakerqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbakerqueen Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 18

I just think that is so incredibly rude! What is wrong with people now days? I would never ask any of my friends for a discount...if they offer one, that is a different story, but even then, I would over tip. WHy do people tend to treat their friends / family worse than total strangers?

I am a hairstylist and you would be amazed at all the discounts people try to get out of me. After 15 years, I just don't deal anymore. My final answer is 'it's not a hobby, it's my career! '

Sorry.....had to vent. This is a very frustrating subject! icon_mad.gif

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 18

Why would she think you'd do it for cost? That's a lot of nerve.

I think you already have lots of plans for that week. icon_smile.gif

SweetSandee92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSandee92 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 18

I agree with Janette.. just simply tell her NO!*but tackfully* I just can't imagine why she'd think you'd do a wedding cake at cost.. when it takes more time to decorate... and that's what you are really getting paid for...

Me.. "Sorry but I don't think I can do it.. thanks."

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 18

I agree with everyone else, tell her you can't do it. Don't feel guilty about saying no. Just think how ticked off you'll be if you say yes and then produce a beautiful cake for nothing. You don't even know the person who's getting married, so you can't even call it a labor of love. Frankly, it's pretty inconsiderate for someone to even ask you to do it.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:22pm
post #12 of 18

"No" is such a lovely under used word for adult women to use.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 18

No, nope, nada, no can do, dont think so, give me a break, are you kiddin me, excuse me!, for how much!, sorry but no, umm let me think.....NO, yeah uh duhh NO..

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 18

I would say no also, You have to or they will run you ragged, I know first hand. After 25 years I'm even starting to tell family you get a 10% discount. I don't feel guilty since they buy their birthday cakes elsewhere, but when they want a huge thing they come to me and want it at costs. Nope, I'm done, and don't start it now then you won't have to feel mean later in life. People are just rude. icon_surprised.gif

Might I add amen to TNUTY................U go!!!!!!! Well said.

ssnc79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssnc79 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #15 of 18

What was your initial response? Did you just say I'll get back to you? I think that you should tell her that you will give her an estimate of what you think your cake is worth and include your labor. Let her know this is what you do for all clients including friends. That way she can look over the estimate and if she doesn't like it then she can look elsewhere. If she chooses to look elsewhere I am certain she won't get a better deal. She obviously knows your work and came to you because she appreciates your talent!

jackiessweettreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackiessweettreasures Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 18

Everyone is correct - Your time is worth a lot and everyone should understand how much time, effort and work go into making a cakeicon_biggrin.gif

The only way I would even consider doing it is if I was able to chose the design and do it the way I wanted to and be able to place business cards and/or brochures next to the cake, so that you would be able to benefit later on from the exposure. If they want something from you for next to nothing they should give you something back.

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 6:37pm
post #17 of 18

My first responce was yes i will do it. She cought me as I was late to a meeting, as I was sitting in the meeting I started thinking about it a little more. I have since gone back and told her that I will still do it but I will have to charge her something and left it open of to how much i would charger her. The bride is meeting us at work tonight and she is going to be telling me what she wants, I think she wants a grooms cake as well. After that I will be able to give her a better idea. Thanks for all your help and I will keep you posted on how things go.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:36pm
post #18 of 18

You are a busy student and you work? If I was in your shoes I would say that I would love to do your wedding cake, but I don't work for free. Tell her you will charge her for your costs and then a set price per hour. It doesn't have to be a huge price per hour, but it should be something for your time....

JMO

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%