Maybe A Silly Question...

Decorating By CakeEscape Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 1:32pm by CakeEscape

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 19

what does everyone use to pipe decoration with RI? I was using just a disposi pastry bag but I actually saw tiny bags on aces of cakes and she was using a tip and her lines were very thin even still. Anyone know what they were using or what do you use?

18 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 19

they were prolly using cones made out of parchment paper. i've done it before, but i really didn't like it. i don't use RI very often, but when i do i just use my reusable featherweight pastry bags. i run them through the dishwasher after every use and it gets all the grease out, so my RI doesn't break down. haven't had a problem with it yet.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 19

Yep I agree they were most likly using cones made from parchmant. I personally make my cones from wax paper, for no real reason other than I have a box full of the pre cut square sheets. I do like working with the cones persoanlly I find I have better control for some reason, and I don't have to deal with washing out my other bags. Really though it is just a matter of prefrence, I don't think it makes a huge diffrence either way

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 19

Anyone have pointers on how to make the 'cone' from wax or parchment paper? Do you use a tip with that or is the icing just 'round'.

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 19

I think on Ace of Cakes they were using smaller cones from parchment. I also buy large pre-cut triangles. When only using a small amount of icing, I fold the triangle into smaller triangles to make a small cone. Then, without a tip, I cut the point slightly so a tiny hole is present so I can pipe.
I also decorate using parchment triangles with tips and sometimes couplers. I find that it easier because, unlike the bags, the parchment doesn't get the icing "hot."
Good luck!!

spongemomsweatpants Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 19

Ok I am going to try to describe this in words so bear with me. You take your triangle you have the 1 point on the "tip" then the 2 points that are across from each other. Take one of those 2 points and bring it down to the tip while making a clinder shape, then take the other tip and wrap it around until you have a cone. Then I personally do not use a tip I just nip the end.
LOL but having read what I just typed I realize that it makes no sense at all. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Where is DOUG when you need his handy graphic skills...Where oh where has Doug gone...where oh where could he beeeeee??

pieceofcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake1 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 19
Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:24am
post #8 of 19

you also learn how to make the paper cones in the first Wilton Method class.

sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:24am
post #9 of 19

I am so glad that you asked this question. They always have those tiny little triangles and it doesn't look like they are using a tip. I have never tried parchment, so this is very interesting to me. I HATE cutting plastic bags to get my tips out. Does anyone have a strong preference?

spongemomsweatpants Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:06pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofcake1

Hope this helps
http://www.fantes.com/parchment_triangles.htm

ok that is perfect...lol much better than my very sad instructions. Thanks for finding that. I sometimes forget that I can just do an internet search. I personally prefer the paper cones, I find them easier to control and clean up is a breeze, juts toss em. One suggestion though is to make up a bunch before starting a project becasue you will need to toss and fill a new one from time to time.

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:28pm
post #11 of 19

I agree, parchment bags are the ones I prefer. Once you learn how to make them, they are a breeze! And, as spongemom said, clean up is the best part, you just toss them. Which means if you are dealing with buttercream, no greasy mess! And, you can use couplers with them so you can change the tips as you go or go without.

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggshells

Really? I don't remember being taught how to make these in my first class. It's been about 2 years since then, but I'm certain my teacher just had us use the disposable or reusable bags.

Scrappinstephy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scrappinstephy Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:50pm
post #13 of 19

I much prefer the parchment triangles. I also cut them small for piping. I feel like I have more control, and again clean up is great!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:53pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakerer

Anyone have pointers on how to make the 'cone' from wax or parchment paper? Do you use a tip with that or is the icing just 'round'.

I follow the directions on the box of parchment triangles, and it works fine for me.

Instead of using an actual tip in there, though, I drop a coupler in. That way, I can change tips when I need to. When I'm done, I just cut the coupler off, unwrap the paper, and wash. icon_smile.gif Some people drop the tip into the cone, and that works fine, as well. Or you can just cut the very tip of the cone off, and pipe it directly from there. But I heartily recommend the coupler. It's kind of a pain until you get used to it, but it's so much easier, for me, than trying to load several cones with different tips.

(sorry if I'm rambling... haven't had coffee yet)

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgirl

Quote:

Really? I don't remember being taught how to make these in my first class. It's been about 2 years since then, but I'm certain my teacher just had us use the disposable or reusable bags.

i'd forgotten too till i read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappinstephy

I much prefer the parchment triangles. I also cut them small for piping. I feel like I have more control, and again clean up is great!

and then i remembered the instructer i had said she found them useful for pretty much only piping and since they didn't hold much she just stuck to her featherweights. well actually what she had were heavy duty ones- proffessional almost fabric feel- I wanted some but found out they either no longer made them or were found only in california or something like that- like i said its been Years! lol

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:59pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgirl

Quote:

Because she was lazy icon_lol.gif or didn't know how to do them herself. ( She may have been a great instructor otherwise..lol) As a WMI I used to give people the "homework" assignment to make 100 of these the first night of class.

Mind you, they could split a box between friends and make them 1/2 sized, but they had to make them and bring them to class the next time.

After you make 100, you can make them in your sleep!

lisaworm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisaworm Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:10pm
post #17 of 19

I am just about finished with course 1, the instructor had us use the parchment triangles a lot. We first started with using piping gel and just cutting the tip off to write with the cone. Then she also taught us how to strip using the parchment paper. I will admit the first time we used them in class I had thought to myself that it is nothing I would want to do again, but after using them over and over now I am hooked. The ease of clean up is wonderful. We didn't use the couplers, we just cut the cone a little short of the tip length and dropped the tip right in. Works great icon_lol.gif

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:47am
post #18 of 19

based on everything said, I'm assuming these are also fairly easy to use with couplers. I really have to try these tomorrow. I have to make sheet cakes with polka dots....thanks to everyone for their input.

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:32pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks for all of your input! Truely appreciated. Here is a link I was PM'ed these are small bags with 8 different mini tips.. Im going to get it just because I am curious, and from the picture the tips would be tiny and oh! so cute! lol icon_lol.gif

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=CD8701&cn=100700

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%