mochaboi Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:21pm
post #1 of

I am making a cake for the 4th, which has a 10" base cake. The project calls for a Wilton Silver Cake Base, however, I can not get one in time for the 4th. My question is, can I double or even triple up on the cake boards for support?

Thanks

9 replies
ntertayneme Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:33pm
post #2 of

I've done that many times before, but it all depends on how much weight you're going to put on it. Are you doing a tiered cake?

mochaboi Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:39pm
post #3 of

Well, it's a stacked... a 6" on top of a 10"

Thanks for the response..

ntertayneme Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:56pm
post #4 of

If the layers are each 2", then you'd need some good support for the bottom... If you glue about 3 or 4 boards together and cover them, you should be fine... the main thing is to make sure the boards wouldn't bend with the weight of the cake on them.

mochaboi Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:13pm
post #5 of

You know, I saw these 2" Styrofoam circles...a lot like the cake dummies. They seemed pretty sturdy...do you think that could work?

Thanks again for all your suggestions.. icon_biggrin.gif

ntertayneme Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:15pm
post #6 of

It probably would do ... I'd kinda push on it a bit just to see if it would take the weight ok

mochaboi Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:24pm
post #7 of

Oh I've already beat them up in Michaels..LOL I even whacked my partner with it a few times to see if it would break..LOL Of course had it broken, I would have paid for it, but I wouldn't have used them for the project..LOL

Thanks a lot.

HAPPY 4th!

MrsMissey Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:39pm
post #8 of

If you do decide to tape or glue three or four cardboard rounds together make sure you alternate the direction of the corrugated lines...this provides added strength!!

mochaboi Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:01pm
post #9 of

Food for thought from MrsMissey!

always appreciated..

Thanks

beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 2:31am

I've used doubled up cake circles before. I was nervous about the strength of the boards, so I was very careful to sit the cake on a smaller, inverted cake pan, so I didn't have to pick the cake up from the edges and cause the circles to bend. I'm thinking of investing in masonite boards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%