Has Anyone Ever Seen Gold Cake Columns?

Decorating By nanni Updated 21 Jan 2005 , 6:49pm by nanni

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 17 Jan 2005 , 12:01am
post #1 of 11

A friends parents are having their 50th anniversary-they were talking about gold columns for the parents cake-I have never seen the columns-anyone out there know of a place that sells them? Thanks.

10 replies
mayagyal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayagyal Posted 17 Jan 2005 , 3:12am
post #2 of 11

hi nany ,to be honest I have'nt seen any gold column but here's an idea ,I belive you can paint any colomn in gold and will surely save the day.hope it helps

nanni Posted 17 Jan 2005 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 11

I had thought of that but wantd to see if I could find some anywhere just in case the paint didn't stick or something. The cake is going to be irovy and pink and I don't think white would look right.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 7:53am
post #4 of 11

Hi Nanni,
Here is a suggestion. I work a lot with crafts and the paints that will adhere to plastic are few and far between.
I purchase a product made by Americana (Deco Art) called Multi Purpose Sealer. It can be purchased at any Michael's store. there are many other products of this type, but for me, this is the best. It can be used as a base, or mixed about half this product to half a craft paint and applied. I also use it as a sealer once paint has set and dried. I tend to use the Folk Art paints made by Plaid, they make some nice golds. You can apply it with a sponge brush or a regular artist type of paint brush. You will probably need two or three coats. I think for this purpose, I would just go with mixing it half and half and apply. Just mix it up in a little palette or in a small dish. It is non-toxic.
Most spray paints that people would normally use, do not adhere well to plastics.
A quicker option, but one you would have to be careful handling, would be to take a gold lustre dust that you would use for cake decorating and drybrush it onto the pillars. Some of it would of course, fall off, but it would be a quick fix.
Hope that helps,
hugs Squirrelly Cakes

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 11

Just another suggestion in case the painting doesn't work; maybe try wrapping the columns with gold ribbon; or use both together-paint and ribbon.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 11

how about wrapping the columns with gumpaste or fondant and painting them with gold luster dust mixed with alcohol? Just an idea...

Good Luck!
Debbie icon_cool.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 11

You might also try using some of the gold foil that is used for wrapping cake boards! Happy baking, Missey

nanni Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 11

these are all such wonderful ideas--thanks to all of you for your input! I truly appreciate it-I will check with my friend and see which idea she prefers. Thanks again!!

trisha1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trisha1972 Posted 20 Jan 2005 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 11

Did see some on an ebay auction.........but don't remember if they were painted or not.

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 21 Jan 2005 , 6:36am
post #10 of 11

I found a recent auction on ebay for silver and irridescent columns. The description says they are wilton, but maybe you could ask here where she got them as they may also have gold ones:

nanni Posted 21 Jan 2005 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 11

thanks Jackie-I will check it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%