Can I Substitute Lard For Shortening

Decorating By monizcel Updated 2 Oct 2015 , 3:56am by Brookebakescake

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 21

Hi Everyone,

For some reason I cannot find Crisco shortening in my grocery store....which is strange to see the least. I did find lard though. Is it possible to substitute the lard for the shortening without affecting the flavour of the buttercream. I was going to try and make either the Dream Whip Buttercream or the Buttercream Dream recipes found here on CC.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 21

I don't know what the substitution ratio is, but many people do not want to eat lard, so beware.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 21

No, don't substitute lard for shortening in buttercream. It won't taste right, nor have the right texture. Use all butter if you can't find vegetable shortening.

cakejunkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakejunkie Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 21

I wouldn't try it, I don;t know if you've ever cooked with lard but me it has a pork taste. I use it when I refry beans I don't think it would be good in frosting. Hope this helps!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 21

Lard is pork fat. It will not make good icing. Besides the taste and the greasy texture, it will not hold its shape. But it does make a great flaky pie crust!

monizcel Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 21

Thanks for the quick responses. The lard will be thrown out tonight and I will buy butter to use in my buttercream.

That brings up another question...unsalted or salted butter in buttercream?

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 21

Unsalted.

Also, ask your grocer to stock crisco - its insane that he doesnt carry it.

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 21

monizcel,
don't throw out the lard use it 4 frying...

unsalted butter

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 21

the recipe online for the dream buttercream is for
1 stick unsalted butter
1 stick salted butter
1/2c crisco
1 1/2 teas. flavoring
2 lb powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Enjoy!

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 21

I've always used salted butter. PLUS, I add another pinch when making buttercream. Otherwise, it's too cloyingly sweet for my tastes. Salt cuts the sweetness quite nicely. Everyone raves about my buttercream.

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 21

I agree. The salt cuts the sweetness. I always use salted.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 21

I like salted too! That way you dont have to add the additional salt and you avoid those pesky white salt spots!

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 21

I use salted butter as well.

monizcel Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 21

I found the Crisco...i'm so silly, I didn't realize that Crisco did not have to be refrigerated so it was with all the other oil products in the supermarket.

Thanks for all your help

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 1:08am
post #15 of 21

I just posted about NOT doing this yesterday in cake dec. forum...

Color separates and doesn't hold its shape thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

Not a good idea

chefstephlol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefstephlol Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 1:35pm
post #16 of 21

I just thought i would share Australia's best kept secret.

In place of shortening you can use Ghee. It is found in most middle eastern, indian, Malaysian food stores. It is literaly vegetable fat that solidifies at room temperature with a transparent appearance. I used it today to make cannolis and they were spot on.

Middle east, Malaysia, indian use this product in a large number of their dishes so it shouldnt be hard to find.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 2:20pm
post #17 of 21

That's interesting about the ghee.  I thought it was just clarified butter, at least that's what I've heard on TV a couple of times.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 4:24pm
post #18 of 21

Absolutely, ghee is just clarified butter - so it is 100% fat as the milk solids (protein etc) are removed in the clarification process.

Never tried it in buttercream though! And I don't like the flavour or the idea of crisco or other similar fats - so I make all butter SMBC with unsalted butter and add my own salt so I can control the quantity in the final product - safer not to rely on manufacturers! 

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:17pm
post #19 of 21

She is talking about vegetable 'ghee' which is basically palm fat and coco fat and lots of homogenisers and other nasties. I use real ghee in my cooking and baking. It has a really strong flavour so it has to be used sparingly. I would not use it for buttercream and neither would I use shortening or any kind of margarine. Good old-fashioned butter for me!

As for lard, don't throw it away. Use it on your roast potatoes to give them extra crispiness (as lard cooks at higher temps than veg. oil) and flavour. It is weird because lard itself does not have a flavour but it seems to enhance the taste of roast potatoes. 

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 2:57am
post #20 of 21

Ghee is clarified butter and wonderful for cooking. I've used it all my life but never for buttercream or baking except for certain cookies with cardamon. It is made by heating the butter for at least half an hour or until all the whey has burnt of leaving a golden liquid which once cool solidifies.

Try cooking eggs with ghee, scrambled or fried you will never go back to oil, it's delish.

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 3:56am
post #21 of 21

Lard definitely has a flavor.  Or at the very least, a texture, as in: I can feel it in my mouth after eating it.  As a vegetarian, I would be shocked to learn that someone had used it in a cupcake.  Not an equal substitute.

I will have to try making me some ghee. It's always been expensive wherever I've seen it, but I'd like to try it in some things now.  

As a side note, I don't eat twinkies because they are made with lard, probably fried in them.  The low fat twinkies are not. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%