beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:49am
post #1 of

Lately I've been thinking I need an airbrush. Mind you, I've never airbrushed before nor do I even know if I am coordinated enough to do it. For those of you that have them, what do you think of them? Are they hard to master? How expensive are they? I don't even know where to begin. The more I read this site, the more toys I think I want! icon_lol.gif

4 replies
sunlover00 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 2:29am
post #2 of

I want to know the exact same things! I was just chatting about how busy I was in planning the wedding (3 weeks away) and I lost a cake order because they thought I was complaining! icon_sad.gif

Anyway, my cake was "replaced" by a cake with a large airbrushed design on it. I was upset and jealous a little.

I'm anxious to read your responses. I wonder if airbrushing is faster - easier - less expensive....do you have to be a tremendous artist, etc.

SweetCreations Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:25am
post #3 of

the lady that taught our wilton classes Taught an air brushing class a week or so after only charged like $25.00, we got to play with their supplies to see if we liked it. we also used sheets out of coloring books to Practice, then we we also taught how to Make a stencil for them and how to put it on a cake then how to color it in. it is really cool to use . but you can tip the thing over and spill dye on your cake if your not careful. icon_confused.gif but you can get the kit for about 175. or so. and it comes with tons of colors and they last a really long time. I bought one with a great discount b/c they had opened a new one for class.. but didnt use any of the coloring as they already had some open. thumbs_up.gif I haven't used it a whole lot but love it cause I know its there if & when I want to. So what I would Suggest honestly, is to take the class & see if you can live with out it for a while or if you just have to Have it. this way you can "Try before you BUY! ( gotta Love that!) Let me know if ya get one how you like it.
~Sweet~ icon_rolleyes.gif

Lisa Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:27am
post #4 of

I have one and I love it! They're expensive but they end up paying for themselves. You don't have to be an artist...that's what stencils are for icon_lol.gif I used mine with a stencil to make the nets on my tennis cupcakes. That saved me huge amounts of time since I made almost 7 dozen of them. I can't even imagine if I had to pipe on the nets. They wouldn't have been as straight that's for sure.

I also used it to make the spider-man bust red. Another big time saver...I didn't have to try and color all the icing red either.

It's one of my favorite toys...

traci Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:33am
post #5 of

You could also shop around for different brands of equipment. I went to a cake store in my area that sells the equipment. I think you can get everything for around 100.00. I asked the man that owned the store if it was difficult to do...he said he learned how to do it by just practicing with it. I might look into later...after I get moved! I think taking a class would be a great idea.
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%