Which Fondant Do You Use? And Why.

Decorating By Dreme Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 7:00am by CakeMakar

Dreme Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 7:53am
post #1 of 46

Uhm yeah....what it says above.

Im on Wilton right now due to learning purposes and availability of the product.

45 replies
beachcakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 46

I prefer to use Satin Ice because it is easy to work with and can be refrigerated. I've also used Pettinice, which is also easy to work with. MMF is an easy, cheap alternative, but I guess I'm just lazy and I hate to make it! icon_redface.gif Wilton, IMO, is just as expensive as the other commercial brands, but tastes like chemicals, so I stay away!!

Dustbunny Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 46

I use mmf because its cheap and easy to make. Wilton is gross IMO. I want to try Satin Ice, its seems to be what most of the pro's use if they don't make their own.

missyek Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 46

If I could afford large amounts of Satin Ice, I would use that exclusively. But, I settle for MMF because it is easy and quick to make. I like using Wilton fondant--espcially the pre-colored ones--mixed with gumpaste to make figures and pieces that will not be eaten.

PerryStCakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 46

I use Satin Ice because it taste the best (and I have tried them all). It is also easy to knead and roll out and looks fabulous on cakes.

Also - I put it in the fridge and while its a little tacky after it comes out, it dries up again within the hour! I just did a cake this weekend with it and it was great! (In my photos, the cake with the pink gumpaste calla lilies).

imartsy Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 46

Oh my gosh I've been trying to get a good answer on this for figure molding. I can't seem to find a good fondant for it! Here's my experiences w/ fondant:

Wilton - pretty good for molding, tastes icky
Satin Ice - not so great for molding but it fairly smooth, smells like Play-doh, doesn't have much taste to it
MMF - a little difficult to get the right consistency, but when you do it works pretty well - tastes like marshmellow and isn't good for using w/ molds - loses it's shape quickly (at least mine did) - a little tricky to make
white chocolate fondant - homemade - YUMMMY but stretched too much, didn't hold its shape, easy to roll out but not good for molding of any kind
rolled buttercream - homemade - LOVE the taste - absolutely YUMMY-licious! Breaks kind of easily, greasy feel to it, does not hold shapes well, not great for using w/ molds
Toba Garret's fondant recipe -homemade - another yummy fondant but couldn't get it to mold into anything - it was droopy and didn't hold its shape - definitely didn't hold in a mold of any kind - just wasn't what I was looking for

I've heard about Regalice but have found that it is only sold in the UK or around there - so no luck here in the U.S. icon_sad.gif

I'd LOVE to hear about a good molding fondant that you can still eat! I understand you can add tylose powder or whatever to make gumpaste but I want a fondant that I can easily work with that will hold its shape or hold its shape after putting it in a mold and that you can eat! Something I could use to create Debbie Brown's awesome cakes.......

PerryStCakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 46

imartsy - mix your fondant with GP for modeling. (50/50 ratio).

kaste28 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 46

PerryStCakes - just checked out your cake, and WOW! Beautiful! I'm definitely going to try Satin Ice. I've been using MMF, and it usually stays too soft.

doescakestoo Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 46

Ref to Regalice. It is sold here but to grocery stores that use fondant on cakes. Here in Oklahoma the Reasors were getting it at one time. Can find out if they still do it.

Chocopan is another good one.

Fandx is from California.

The brands that I mentioned above I have not tried on moulding but just to let you know of other brands out there.

MissT Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 46

beachcakes - if you don't mind sharing, how does Pettinice taste? I found it at the local cake supply shop and am debating trying it.

HeatherMari Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 46

I have been using FondX lately and LOVE it! It is easy to work with, tastes great and can be refrigerated. I also have used Satin Ice and love it! For Satin Ice, I have found that most places that carry it, the price is pretty regular but for Fondx I found the best price on Pfiel & Holing (www.cakedeco.com). The FondX colored fondant is white chocolate and is really yummy too but I think it softens up a bit more than the white. Satin Ice's colors are the same as the white. Satin Ice's customer service is great too if you call they company them selves because I needed a small amount of black for a project and called them to see if they sold it in smaller tubs than 2lbs (which they don't) but the lady I talked to said she had some black that was used for samples and sent me probably about 1/2lb or more for FREE and sent their sample pack which has all the colors & the chocolate in it. All for FREE!
HTH,
Heather

beachcakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 46

MissT, I find it tastes just like Satin Ice. Kind of a vanilla taste? I found that when working with it, it dried a little quicker than SatinIce. I'm pretty bad at rolling out fondant, so that could have something to do with it.

SUELA Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 46

Wilton works best for class purposes....tried rolled buttercream yummy but found it cracked on me.....used Virgin Ice by Liberty better tasting than Wilton....recently discovered McCall's own brand, but have to order that in.

Regalice note...I have sen in our grocery store here in Canada Regalice marzipan, yes, same brand as UK. Grocery stores MIGHT have it on thier lists as what they CAN order. I found it a bit hard.

auntsushi Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 46

I haven't done fondant. I scares me. LOL icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

Seriously, I made a batch of MMF about 3 weeks ago, wrapped it in Saran Wrap and it's still sitting on my kitchen counter, as hard as a rock. I have no idea how long this stuff keeps. I think I'll take it out this week and try to practice with it.

tiggy2 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 46

I use petince because it is easy to work with, taste good and I can get it locally at a reasonably price.

angelas2babies Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 7:08pm
post #16 of 46

I like using MMF because I can make it, and I can roll it out pretty quickly. I would love to try some of the fancy kind, though. icon_smile.gif

For modeling I like to use gumpaste, or add gumtex to the fondant.

Angie

mkerton Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 7:20pm
post #17 of 46

I have a question about gumpast or gumtex...I just made my first batch of MMF to practice with, and I am wanting to do some little easy flowers that I see people doing where they stick the wires in them, and they sort of look like they are bouncing off the cake (my soon to be 5 year old niece thinks that is so cool)......

Anyway back to the question, I guess I need to add Gumtex or gumpaste to the fondant I use for that so that it gets hard enough to stay on the wire???? if so do you have to make a whole batch and add the stuff while making it, or after its made can you seperate a bit of it and add it there.....

Can you tell I have never used the stuff before!!!

angelas2babies Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:29pm
post #18 of 46

You can add GUMTEX to your fondant to make it harder. It is a powder that you mix into your fondant.

Your other option is to make or buy GUMPASTE. I have used the powder that you add water to, or the pre-made gumpaste that is ready to use. Both dry very hard alot faster than fondant. I like using the gumpaste for flowers and the bumble bees.

I have used fondant on its own for modeling and making flowers. It does dry kind of hard, but it takes a lot longer.

Hope I helped.
Angie

mkerton Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:39pm
post #19 of 46

angelas2babies...you are helping, I notice in your photos you have bee's on one cake and stars on the planet cake, So are you saying those decorations are all gumpaste? I am gonna have to buy some and just experiment.

angelas2babies Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:43pm
post #20 of 46

Yes, those are gumpaste. I insert the wire while they are still wet, so they dry with the wire stem and won't fall off. icon_smile.gif

You can do it. It's actually fun, and it does add a new dimention to the cake.

Can't wait to see your cake!

Angie

mkerton Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:50pm
post #21 of 46

Now you've gone and got me excited about it....since my birthday is coming up I am using it as a trial run for my nieces birthday the week after that.....Since I dont care if my cake is a flop I get to try all the things I have been too chicken to try!

missyjo30 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:01pm
post #22 of 46

I have used Fondx,I like it, it taste like vanilla and is easy to work with. I want to try the Satin Ice & Choco pan, does anyone know the difference between Satin Ice, Fondx and Choco pan??? which is best?????

doescakestoo Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 8:55pm
post #23 of 46

I do know that Choco Pan and Fondx have chocolate added to the recipe. Don't know about Satin Ice. Have used all three for different reasons. Cost mostly. Love to work with all of them. If you have extra funds you could buy some. But I have asked and recieved samples from the companies in question.

bonnscakesAZ Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:23am
post #24 of 46

I use satin ice and really like it. I have a bunch I need to get rid of.

stephaniescakenj Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:38am
post #25 of 46

I have used the satinice fondant and so far I love it. I haven't covered a whole cake in it but have used it to make flowers twice and palm tree leaves. I actually had people pull the flowers off the cakes both times and pop them in their mouth like a candy. It crusts a little on the outside but its still soft inside. You basically scoop it out, knead it a few times and its ready to go. I have tried the marshmallow fondant twice. I covered a three tier cake once and put it in the fridge, it got very slimy... so won't be doing that again. The next time I made it, I just had a horrible time because it was too humid and ended up even slimier (is that a word lol?) without putting it in the fridge. I think I'll stick with satinice from now on.

beachcakes Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:44pm
post #26 of 46

stephaniescakenj, welcome to CC! I have had the same experiences as you with MMF!!! Both fridge and humidity! I'm from NY so maybe it's the climate here? Most people on here don't seem to have issues with MMF.

aine2 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:02pm
post #27 of 46

Try this recipe for making Mexican Paste to use in your molds.

Sift together 8 oz icing sugar and 3 x 5 ml teaspoons of gum tragacanth. (gum powder which I hope is attainable where you are!)

Make a well in the centre. Add 5 x 5 ml teaspoons of cold water.

I would wear food safe gloves and get my hands into this to bring it all together. If there are still a lot of 'crumbs' left at the end of kneading, add another teaspoon of water and keep kneading until you are able to turn it out onto your worksurface. Sprinkle a little icing sugar onto the surface to avoid sticking or else rub the work surface with white fat.

Once finished kneading, seal in a plastic bag and leave for 24 hours.

Any paste that is rock hard can be zapped in a microwave for a couple of seconds just to start the heat in it so that your hands can take over the work and knead it back into a pliable state.

imartsy Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:31pm
post #28 of 46

So can you eat that Mexican paste? Can you flavor it? Is it nasty? It sounds like a good idea for using in molds - do you just tell people to remove those decorations before they eat??

aine2 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:10pm
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

So can you eat that Mexican paste? Can you flavor it? Is it nasty? It sounds like a good idea for using in molds - do you just tell people to remove those decorations before they eat??

It's completely edible. It's only icing sugar, the gum powder makes the decorations dry solid but still chewable. The powder doesn't taste of anything really. It's all very sweet though.

cakesbyjess Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 7:16pm
post #30 of 46

My most favorite fondant is Massa Grischuna. I learned about it when I took a class from Colette Peters. She told us that this is what she uses. Here's the website: http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/store/merchant.mvc?page=ASC/PROD/1j_ENROBING/505023

It's a bit pricier than Pettinice/Regalice (which I also like), but I think it's the best fondant I've ever worked with and tasted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%