Italian Meringue Buttercream

Baking By siris Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 6:18pm by sabally

siris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siris Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 5

I TRIED MAKING IMBC LASTNIGHT, THE RECIPE I HAD CALLED FOR ADDING CREAM OF TARTAR TO THE EGG WHITES AS THEY WERE BEING WHIPPED....I DIDN'T HAVE CREAM OF TARTAR, DOES THIS IMPACT THE OVERALL TASTE/TEXTURE OF THE IMBC? icon_confused.gif

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 5

No, I've forgotten it a few times and it didn't make any visible difference. Cream of tartar is a by-product of the wine industry. It is added to whipped whites only as a stabilizer/volumizer, but your IMBC will be okay without it.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 5

Very new here but I read that the cream of tartar is only to stabilize the meringue. I don't imagine it would affect the taste or texture. I made some IMBC this morning for the first time and there is not turning back for me. YUMMY!!! Thanks ShirleyW, the recipe is awesome. Hopefully someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong.

siris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siris Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 5

THANKS EVERYONE, I LOVED IT ALSO, ALTHOUGH I THINK I MAY HAVE ADDED JUST A BIT TOO MUCH BUTTER, I TRIED A SAMPLE RECIPE, BUT IT STILL CALLED FOR 1 POUND OF BUTTER...MY BOY THOT IT WAS TOO BUTTERY, BUT I LOVED THE CONSISTENCY, NOT GRAINY LIKE REGULAR BC, MY DH BIRTHDAY IS COMING UP, THINK I WILL USE THIS, PROBABLY FROM HERE ON OUT IT WILL BE IMBC thumbs_up.gif

sabally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabally Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 5

I agree that IMBC is the best tasting BC ever. But in my experience it is soft and it melts quickly. I have read a lot of posts, but I have yet to come across a solution. Does anyone have a solution/ideas. Otherwise I will not be able to use it on cakes that have to sit on display for a couple of hours or so.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%