How To Charge For Fondant Wedding Cake?

Decorating By SweetToothCreations Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 10:16pm by leah_s

SweetToothCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetToothCreations Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 8

I done lots of buttercream wedding cakes, but I have someone who would like a wedding cake done in fondant to feed 100 people, the cakes look like hat boxes, with luster dust, and gumpast bows, she wants coconut flavor cake and pinapple flavor filling. I charge 2.50 a slice for BC cakes., but I'm not sure how to charge for this cake!

7 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 8

you should charge between $3 and $3.50 then if you charge $2.50 for BC. i also charge $2.50 for BC and i start fondant at $3.00. so if it were me, i would charge a starting price of $300 (this includes all my flavors of cake and 3 layers of filling, i don't nickel and dime brides for those). if the bow is big i would charge an extra $10-15 for it. if there is a ton of extra fondant decor, i would raise my price to $3.50 per serving to cover the cost of the fondant and the time it takes to do it all. HTH!!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 8

Think about this...

A national grocery store the offers cakes will charge their base price and then add an additional $50-100 for fondant. PLUS you then have to buy the topper for the cake. THOSE prices were huge. They had a bride and groom with a bunch of ribbon and netting for $75!!!

If it were me... I would charge $300. Fondant is expensive, and not everyone can do it well. I don't charge extra for bows, unless it is a giant cake topper kind of bow, then I would only charge about $30 for that.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 8

I would charge a minimum $3.50/serving for fondant (probably more), especially since the cake & filling are what I consider to be "premium" flavors and she's wanting a high-end hatbox design with the gumpaste bows & luster dust. Do not undercharge yourself on this one, it sounds like a lot of work!

SweetToothCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetToothCreations Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 8

thank you guys so much, this is a lot of help, It was exactly what I needed to know, thank you!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 8

I totally charge extra for bows --$40. Its a cake topper after all.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I totally charge extra for bows --$40. Its a cake topper after all.

Is this for just one bow or more than that .

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 8

One bow. But big enough to pretty much cover the top of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%