How Early Can I Ice Cookies...

Baking By Dana0323 Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 3:18pm by jonahsmom

Dana0323 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:34am
post #1 of 14

and still have them be "fresh"? My daughter's party is saturday, and I want to do as much ahead as I can. I'm not using RI, but an icing with just milk, flavoring, and powdered sugar. It still dries hard.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dana

13 replies
Starkie Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:47am
post #2 of 14

Wow, I am in the same boat and would like to know this as well! I need to make 100 cookies for a wedding on Saturday and I don't know when to start! Anyone out there know?

GeminiRJ Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:57am
post #3 of 14

You could easily start now. I often bake a week in advance, then freeze the cookies until I'm ready to decorate. Sugar cookies are pretty stable, sturdy cookies. They have a very good shelf life.

snowshoe1 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 14

I usually bake and decorate a week in advance since I have a 'regular' job on weekdays. I don't freeze, just wrap up well in saran wrap and never had any drying out issues.

Starkie Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 14

What about the icing? I usually put fondant on my cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. Will that stay fresh as well? And Dana is using a milk-based icing ~ will that stay fresh a week in advance?

KarensCookies Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 14

I personally wouldn't hesitate to start right now on those cookies. They will be fine by Saturday. Sugar cookies really have a pretty good shelf life.

JenWith Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 14

Agreed. Since you need the cookies for Saturday, no need to freeze them. Wrap them well and they will be nice and fresh.

I'm still eating sugar cookies with RI that I need over a month ago and they are as good as they were when I first made them. I wrapped them individually in saran wrap and in a ziploc bag stored in the fridge. I eat them at room temp (I find that's the best since I stored them in the fridge). Very yummy and still moist.

Good luck!

Dana0323 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks guys! I baked the cookies and froze them on Sunday, so today I will thaw and decorate. I personally think they'd still be fine even left on the counter till Saturday, but I'll probably stick them in the fridge.

JenWith Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 14

As long as they are air-tight, I would leave them on the counter too. I put mine in the fridge due to a cat that will eat ANYTHING left on the counter. He thinks he's human. LOL.

MahalKita Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 14

I made my SIL a hibiscus cookie in June just for fun (she is a Hawaiian travel agent) & she finally ate it last week. She said that it tasted fine. I undercook my cookies a little so that they aren't really brown on the bottom & it makes them chewy so they would take a while to get stale I would think but she said it tasted great. I use NFSC & royal icing & wrap mine asap. icon_smile.gif

MahalKita Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 14

I made my SIL a hibiscus cookie in June just for fun (she is a Hawaiian travel agent) & she finally ate it last week. She said that it tasted fine. I undercook my cookies a little so that they aren't really brown on the bottom & it makes them chewy so they would take a while to get stale I would think but she said it tasted great. I use NFSC & royal icing & wrap mine asap. icon_smile.gif

mbarbi Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 14

i made nfsc cookies tonite..and i plan to ice them tomorrow...should i freeze them or can i just leave them on my counter?? thanks!

GeminiRJ Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:46am
post #13 of 14

I wouldn't bother freezing them...they should be fine. Now, if you were talking days and days before icing, I'd say freeze them.

jonahsmom Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 14

Okay - I'm confused. I've searched on here til I'm blue in the face and just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly!!!

I need 150 decorated sugar cookies for next Saturday. If I bake and decorate this weekend, I don't need to freeze them? I'm decorating with marshmallow rolled buttercream with royal icing accents. I just want to make sure I do the right thing....cookies are not my forte!!! All of that has a long shelf-life just by itself, so I guess that makes sense.

I was going to bag and freeze them and just pull them out the night before - is that okay to do, too?

This is why I don't do too many cookies for other people! Just for us....or small amounts for others! I don't know what to do when I need to make so many!

Thanks,
Alyssa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%