Would This Be Bad Form?????

Decorating By thems_my_kids Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 2:57am by LukeRubyJoy

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 14

A lady at the daycare/preschool where my daughter goes to preschool has cancer and they are having a bake sale to raise money for her. I plan on baking and decorating cookies with the schools logo on them to donate. Would it be bad form to include my card in with the cookies? Or shoudl I just give some cards to the person in charge in case someone asks who made them?

13 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 14

I think you should put them with the cupcakes. When things are donated you should get some exposure on your donation.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 14

hmm, i'm thinking maybe just give them to the lady in charge? or maybe aske her what she thinks?

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 14

If they are individually wrapped, can you put a label on the package with your name and number?

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 14

I'd give the woman your cards.

You just know that someone will say that you are using the illness of someone to try and get business. icon_sad.gif

There are alot of weirdos out there.

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 14

Yeah, I think I would find out from the organizer what they feel would be appropriate.

I would hate to have people think you were trying to "benefit" from this donation....donations are to benefit the cause. I can understand you wanting to use this as exposure, but if you donated money, you wouldn't advertise it, right? But, when I go to a Gala type fundraiser for a hospital or something, and there are theme baskets, you know who donated them because it is the business usually, with gift certificates, etcetera. And people are buying the bake sale items, so, maybe it is not a bad thing...but those are typically for another not-for-profit agency, not a single, sick person.

I am not being critical of your idea, more so just thinking out loud as to what "I" would think about. So, I guess my short answer is, find out from the organizer....but do let us know what you find out. Thanks, and I hope the teacher recovers.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 14

Here is my .02cents.... : )

Are they going to be sold individually? Individually wrap each one and include a label on the back with the ingredients. Also include your name and phone number, then people would assume if they had questions about it they could call you. Not just that you were trying to advertise.

And personally, I wouldn't care who donated what and if they had their name all over it, if I was doing a fundraiser for someone who had cancer, every little bit helps and I would be very grateful.

I help with big fundraisers for our Humane Society and that is a BIG part of getting donations is us getting their name out that they donated. We do that as a courtesy for them being generous enough to donate. Why on earth would we think they were just being greedy by donating? It is part of it.

Now I realize for a fundraiser for someone with cancer it's a little bit different and you def. don't want to be tacky.

Ask the person in charge if it makes you worry less and I bet they will tell you of course you can do that. They will appreciate your offer regardless.

LukeRubyJoy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 14

I agree to an extent with okieinalaska, however, as I said before, when you donate to an EVENT, a GALA for a Non-for-profit...they benefit from your donation and you benefit from the exposure. There are many different kinds of donations made, car washes, spa days, workout packages, whatever that particular vendor does. It is also typically for the whole establishment....all the dogs and cats, or the complete hospital. But, for a single sick person, it is not really about benefitting, and exposure, it is about helping the sick person.

When people donated during Hurricaine Katrina or 9-11....did you (metaphorical you, not "you you") advertise? No, just go online, or pull up to the Red Cross guy standing in the intersection and stuff a $20 bill in the can. I don't know if it is appropriate to benefit from a single person's suffering.

I'm sure no one there really is going to care, and I am being oversensitive about it (but if I'm oversensitive, maybe someone there will be too??).....but, I think it is different when it is a "personal" fundraiser, as opposed to a dinner at $XX a plate with silent aution, or for a school or something like that.

It's probably not going to be any big deal at all, because of course you are going to be classy about it; but I'm glad you may ask first. It won't be that hard to ask, and then it may end up saving a lot of face.

REALLY, no harm intended. Sorry, just reflecting on some events I have attended. I'm sure it will work out any way. Good luck.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 14

Put your name all over it!!!!!

I wouldn't see it as trying to get business, but putting your name out there saying that you're helping!!!

Business' do it all of the time!!!

ediecooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ediecooks Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 14

I would make up labels on the computer with ingredient list, allergy disclaimer and your name and phone #. you could even write 'made with love by XXXX"

jennianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennianne Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 14

Since this is a personal fundraiser for a mom in the class, I would not put your cards with them...now if you sell them individually, or wrapped up on a nice plate, maybe put a sticker with your information on it. That way, you can be contacted, but it doesn't look like you are trying to profit from someone else's illness.
That's just my opinion.

aerorach73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aerorach73 Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 14

I donated a cake to a chruch auction. There where lots of places that donated also. All the other places but out business cards, so I did too. I don't see anything wrong with it.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:06am
post #13 of 14

who is buying these? Are they being sold to the kids at lunch, or will the parents be buying them? What ages are the children? I'm thinking that if kids are buying it, they're not going to pay any attention to it. I think it's fine again for a gala or a place where people are bidding on baskets or something like that - but I think it's a little tacky.... I don't know.... if your business normally individually wrapped things and sold them and you were just donating a bunch to a charity or something, then it would be okay.... but if it's not something you do all the time - I just think it might be tacky.

Good luck with whatever you decide - above all, I would definitely ask the person hosting the "event" what their opinion is.

LukeRubyJoy Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:57am
post #14 of 14

The other thing is, will there be other people donating to this from their business? When I think of bake sale, I think of parents of classmates making brownies and cookies to sell at home with their kids. I don't think of "professionals" selling. So, if other professionals will be selling there, then I think it would be a great idea to advertise. But it would kind of be like a pro baseball player coming to play with slow-pitch team if all the other people were just "normal moms" baking for school. If someone really likes their brownies, they will just ask about it. I certainly think they would appreciate your donations though. It just didn't seem that high-end to me.

It could be that I lead a very sheltered life icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%