Cake Density Question

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 4:06pm by CrippyTV

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all! I need to put a mini 3D bear on another cake (some of you have probably helped me with other questions on this cake project) and I was wondering if I needed to make the bottom cake more dense to hold the bear up once doweled and should the bear be a denser mix too so it doesn't split around the dowels?? How do I get a regular BC mix more dense?? They have requested yellow and french vanilla. This is my first attempt at doweling anything let alone something so small.
All help is greatly appreciated!!

6 replies
lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 7

I think that you don't need to make the base cake too dense. The doweling is the support. Make sure that the bear is on a cake board and that your dowels are evenly distributed. I don't think that you bear needs to be doweled. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have done a lot of 3-D cakes and I never had to dowel them. Just the support underneith. I usually add a pudding to the cake mix. That helps give the cake more body. Make sure your cakes are completely cooled and has time to settle before you work with them. I add vanilla pudding to yellow cake and french vanilla to the french vanilla cake mix. If you want a denser icing decrease you liquid by a couple of tablespoons. If it's too stiff, add more liquid, a tablespoon at a time.
Good luck dwith your cake. I'm sure you will do a great job and I hope that I could help out in anyway!
Show a picture when your done!!!!!

chrissysconfections Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 7

Do you add the pudding mix as an extra or in place of other ingredients? I've never done it and the whole business is relatively new to me.
Thanks in advance![/quote]

lilie Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:07am
post #4 of 7

I add the pudding into the mis along with the other ingredients. It is quite simple, just make sure it is instant and dry!

chrissysconfections Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 7

thank you so much! I would have made up the pudding and added it to the batter! icon_surprised.gif I can only imagine what kind of mess that would have been!! icon_eek.gif

lilie Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 7

You'll do just fine!!!!!
Let me know how you do!!!!

CrippyTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrippyTV Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 7

I made a mini 3D bear for my daughter's birthday. I put it on top of 2 stacked 6x2 rounds and I didn't even use a cake board for under the bear. I used "normal" cake mix and it seemed fine. I used 1 dowel rod for support. It was for a party in my home so I didn't need to transport it, but I didn't have any "issues" with the bear slanting or anything. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%