Making A 'working' Lighthouse - Aargh! Please Help!!

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 23 Sep 2013 , 4:00pm by Lynne3

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a wedding cake for next weekend and need to make a lighthouse, picture attached. The lighthouse is going to go on top of the cake and I was hoping to make it about 25cm high. I tried making gumpaste and wrapped it around a greased bottle, but it was bagging out where I had cut window holes. The windows need to be holes as the bride wants a candle lit inside it.

Should I be using pastillage instead?
Should I make it in three sections and join it where you can see the 'ridges' on the lighthouse?
Am I insane for taking this on?
LL

7 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 8

emmascakes--

I have directions for making a lighthouse that I made for a museum. I will be happy to email them to you. Send me your email address and I will zip them over to you.

THe housing is made from gumpaste and it is doable.

Have a great day--Pam

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:10am
post #3 of 8

Ooh I'd love to have the directions as well, pretty please. Can you really put a candle in it or would a small string of lights be better? I'd be afraid the candle would end up melting or burning the gumpaste? Even a small tealight would produce a lot of heat, wouldn't it? And the soot from the flame? Oh I'd love to try something like this for xmas.

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:23am
post #4 of 8

Me too, me too.

Can you post them for all of us ?

PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:25am
post #5 of 8

I don't know about burning a candle in it. Would that warm up things and make it soft? Maybe you can try one of those little battery-powered lights that go in Jack-O-Lanterns. I just saw some at a Halloween store. They had different settings, too: blinking or steady. Good luck!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:53am
post #6 of 8

If you guys will send me your email addresses, I will be happy to send you the directions. Unfortunately, these are not mine own personal directions, so I cannot post them.

The directions were sent to me by Becky from About The Cake. They are awesome and the cake is truly a statement-maker.

As for the candle in the housing, I did suggest using the watch-battery-powered light for dollhouses/Christmas Villages.

Hope to hear from ya'll soon--Pam

cakie101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakie101 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 7:00am
post #7 of 8

AHi Pam, I would love to have the directions for your lighthouse you make. My son & future wife are both in the Airforce & they just planned the wedding for Nov. 10, this yr. My son is in Afghanstan presently, but he just got his orders to go to England. His future bride will be going w/ him as the wedding is soon as my son gets back to start out processing. The wedding is at the Concord Lighthouse in Md. of course they want a cake w/ the Lighthouse on the top ofthe cake. I would really appreciate the directions to help make them have a beautiful wedding. I you have any ideas about traveling, I live in Pa. & have to travel to Md. w/ it... Please send it soon, I've been so worried how to pull this off for them. Thank you Suzie [email protected]

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 8

would love the directions

[email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%