How's Iowa In August?????

Decorating By aupekkle Updated 30 Jun 2005 , 10:39pm by aupekkle

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 9

hello everyone,

Well, I volunteered to make my brother-in-law's wedding cake and he lives in Iowa. The wedding is in August and I have no idea how the weather is there in August. Anyone here who lives near Clare, Iowa and can give me some idea how it'll be????

My next question is does anyone have some good advice for me as to how to get a cake to Iowa from California??? I know, this may seem a bit difficult, but I will be traveling from San Diego to Iowa for the wedding. My DH is planning for us to get to Iowa about 4 days before the wedding. I would think the best way for me to make a cake is to pack all the necessary items I need and make the cake at my BIL's kitchen, but I don't know how everything functions in his kitchen like my own kitchen. Any advice???

It was either this or do like Collette Peters did for the FoodTV wedding where she baked all her cakes, put them into their pans, packed the cakes and all her decorating tools into boxes and put them on the plane with her. But then I'd be scared that the airline would lose the luggage like they almost did in that show. icon_eek.gif

I just have soooo many questions. And what kind of cake would you make for a wedding in August in Iowa....buttercream or fondant? Any ideas or suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much for letting me rattle on.

8 replies
edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know anything about Iowa...but a friend of mine flew from N.Ky to Ft. Lauderdale, FL packing her cakes the same way as Colette Peters and was so excited, because it worked so well. Still I would say proceed w/caution icon_smile.gif

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 9

Are you flyiong or driving?

I heard of some one baking the cakes the cakes at home, cooling them, wrapping them in plastic and putting them back in the cake pans to protect them. Wrapping the pans w/ cake in plastic, and packing them all up in a suitcase. They were flying though. If you were driving, you could pack the pans of cake in a box or something.

aupekkle Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 9

We are planning to fly. I think I might just chance it with the airlines and hope they don't lose them.

If there are any suggestions on the cake, please let me know. Thanks.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 9

This is pricy, but I know you can fed-ex frozen stuff. You could freeze them and ship them. That way they will be there waiting for you when you get there. A frozen cake is less likely to get bumbed around and broken. You'd have to ice and decorate there. You could try to freeze the cakes and pack them in a cooler to go on the plane. That might work???

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 9

Hmmmm.....I have the same issue...I am leaving for los angeles on the 6th to get a cake ready for the 10 th...( yeah I found a sunday wedding odd too)..and I didnt want to go that early...I will miss my kids! icon_sad.gif But I figured I'd be baking there.. Now you guys got me thinking...I had briefly thought about something like shipping the cakes or taking them with me already baked...then figured I was crazy cuz I didnt begin to know how to make it work...Now I am wondering.....could I schedule my flight to be gone less time???? icon_surprised.gif

naekramer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naekramer Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 9

Will the cake be set up indoors or outdoors? Here in Iowa, August can get very hot and extremely humid.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 9

What kind of cake in iowa? LOL I get a kick out of that question. I know what you mean, but it sounds like us Iowans out in hickville don't eat the same things everyone else eats.... LOL trust me I didn't really take it that way, i've just had similiar questions before and that is the way some of the people really did mean it.

In August it is most likely going to be hot and humid (just like the rest of the summer) and when I say humid I mean hot and sticky, and ugh....

Icing choices. Either will work, whatever the bride and groom would like.
Either way If the cake will be sitting outside there will be precations to take.

If you have any more questions at all please feel free to pm me.

Leily

aupekkle Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 9

Last I heard, was that my BIL was planning on renting a hall, so I'm hoping it's going to be indoors and I won't have to deal with the humidity or heat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%