Fondant Roses

Decorating By lhmoore Updated 2 Nov 2012 , 1:17am by jj bakes

lhmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhmoore Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 11

I was watching Ace of Cakes last night. And I saw that he uses a round biscuit cutter and cuts 3 circles. Then he overlaps just the ends of the circles and then rolls all of them together. Now what I am not sure of is doesn't this make the rose a little long? And how do you actually make a fondant rose? Thanks

Lil

10 replies
DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 11

They did look a little long. In one of the segments it looked like one of the girl scouts maybe pinched it in half and had two?? Not sure. Bump!

Diana

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 11

I was actually in the middle of making a cake with fondant roses when I saw Ace of Cakes, so I tried his way....eh. It's fast, but yes, they need to be pinched off, and they don't look like real roses.

So I did a search and found this site:
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/lessons/fondantrose.htm

It's fast and the roses look GREAT. You can check them out in my photos (the most recent cake -- blue and white anniversary)

I had been trying to make them the Wilton way that I learned in course 3. BLEAH. Never, never again. Those Wilton fondant roses don't look as good, are harder, and take longer.[/url]

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 11

I didn't see his show but heard of it. It is kinda like a ribbom rose with a twist, if I am thinking right by what ya'll are describing. They aren't going to look like 'real' roses though, I don't think.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 12:53am
post #5 of 11

That sugarcraft site has the same way we were taught to make Wilton gumpaste roses. That is much simplier than the Wilton way of making fondant roses. I don't understand why it is so different than gumpaste. Why can't you do the fondant the same way as the gumpaste?
Anyone?

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 12:59am
post #6 of 11

you Can use fondant the same way BUT gumpaste dries Much harder than fondant and you are able to roll out gumpaste much thinner.

lhmoore Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 2:18am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the advice, I have only tried the roses with the BC of course, and then I have been trying to teach myself the fondant and gumpaste. I think I have done alright with the gumpaste. Kelley your roses are beautiful. I am going to try to attach the 3rd and last gumpaste rose that I have taught myself to do. Does it look good enough?

lhmoore Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 2:25am
post #8 of 11

OH heck, never mind the pic. For some reason it won't let me upload anything. I will try again some other time. Sorry.

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 11

I learned the Wilton way for fondant roses, but I'll have to try the sugarcraft method the next time I make them. I also dabble in polymer clay and the sugarcraft way is the way roses are made with polymer clay.

The only time I made fondant roses was for the class final. They were time consuming. I'd just as soon have buttercream roses...they taste better too. icon_smile.gif

jj bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jj bakes Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 1:17am
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the link! Those roses are beautiful, and I can't wait to try them out icon_biggrin.gif

jj bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jj bakes Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 1:17am
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the link! Those roses are beautiful, and I can't wait to try them out icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%