Dfw (Dallas/ft. Worth) Area Bakers: Fyi

Business By frankandcathy Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 11:49am by talmas

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 20

In case you are in the DFW area and didn't know, we do have a major bakery distributor. It's Merchant's Bakery Supply and it's located on Gardenbrook in Dallas just south of Belt Line and North of 635 off of Webb Chapel. Minimum orders are about $25 I think.

I HATE paying retails prices more most things so I just wanted to let you guys know about it if you didn't already. There are also 4 retails stores that I know of (there may be more). One in Crowley, one in Plano, one in Euless, and one in Richardson.

Let me know if you need any other info.

19 replies
TERRYHORTON Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TERRYHORTON Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 20

frankandcathey, what type of stuff do they carry?
Have you been to the Cake Carousel in Richardson?
They have lots of goodies too!

frankandcathy Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 20

Cake Carousel sells more specialty type items like candy molds, draggees, cel molds, etc., etc. but a lot of the same stuff as Merchant's. As a matter of fact, I'll be they often get some of their product from Merchant's.

Merchant's carries bulk items like: cake drums, circles, bags, etc. They also carry gumpaste flowers (not necessarily in bulk) that are cheap enough that you don't have to mess with making them. They can order any of the Wilton items you need for about 40% off retail. No minimum order needed for Wilton items. They also can order specialty items from BakeryCrafts, etc. They carry the cake kits like the grocery stores use. They carry Americolor in huge bottles that is super cheap. They carry packaged gumpaste and fondant (way cheaper than you'll get at a retail store). Let's see....they carry all kinds of sprinkles, nonpareils, etc. They carry some leaf veiners, etc. They carry castles, fountains, stuff like that. Oh yes, Magic Line pans at about 1/2 what you'll pay retails. That may be my favorite part.

I can't think of anything else now. They don't have a web site but you can just walk in and request a price list.

Meagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagan Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 20

thumbs_up.gif Thanks so much for this info! I've been to Elisabeth's in Euless, and they had a pretty limited selection. They were very nice and very helpful when I was looking for specialty items, but I'm really excited to go check this place out! Thanks again for the lead!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 20

I will have to check that place out! I love cake carousel, but they are a little pricey.

There is another cake store in plano at 75 and spring creek where Albertson's used to be, but I don't think that they are very big.

Stephanie

GarfieldOne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarfieldOne Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 12:12am
post #6 of 20

The one at 75 and Spring Creek is Cakes Amore. They are nice, good people, but are smaller.

Anyone know how the hours that Merchant's Bakery Supply is open? Cant find a website, and they appear to have no answering machine.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 1:54am
post #7 of 20

Last I knew, Merchants didnt require a minimum order, but they do require a TID. But hey, it's not like you can just walk out of there without spending less than $25!

frankandcathy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 20

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. They do require a tax id number but that's not hard to get.

I believe their hours are like 8am to 5pm M-F.

~C

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 6:17am
post #9 of 20

I have been buying from Merchants for about 7 years, they do have a minimum on shipped orders. It used to be about 125 for free shipping, but since the shipping prices and gas has gone up, the minimum does not include the heavy stuff like boxes. There is an extra charge for those things. I have always gotton good service. If you are close enough, it will save by stopping by, you can do a will call and they will have it ready. As a business, they have been one of my main suppliers.

smbegg Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 20

I am not "leagal" nor do I have a business set up. So can I still get a Tax ID number and does it cost anything? Can I claim as income if I am not legal? I probably sound like an idiot, but I am new to this.

Stephanie

MISSYCOMPOC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MISSYCOMPOC Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 20

Stephanie - you and I are in the same boat! I'd love that info too!

Melissa

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 20

I would also like to know about it....i live in austin. Till now havent done cakes for money...people have been asking.

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 20

would my husbands tax id number work? It has nothing to do with cakes....

smbegg Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 20

Does anyone have any information on this?

Stephanie

SweetThistleCakes Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 12:14am
post #15 of 20

You need to have a legal, registered business to have a tax ID.

FYI- I just picked up a Crystal Clear Cake Divided Set there yesterday- $33.99 -CHEAPER THAT WILTON.COM! Yeah baby! thumbs_up.gif

GarfieldOne Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 3:01am
post #16 of 20

Ok, Let me ask this. Is it a TaxID or a Sales Tax ID? Major difference.

GarfieldOne Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 3:02am
post #17 of 20

Ok, Let me ask this. Is it a TaxID or a Sales Tax ID? Major difference.

SweetThistleCakes Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 4:24pm
post #18 of 20

If you have a legal, registered cake business, you have the proper documents to purchase at Merchants.

GarfieldOne Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:23pm
post #19 of 20

Just called them. They require a Sales Tax ID.

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 11:49am
post #20 of 20

Does Merchant's carry Alpine or Sweetex Hi-Ratio Shortening? Price? If not, do you know of a place in the DFW area that does. I know you can buy it online at sugarcraft but I would like to find it locally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%