I Would Like Your Honest Opinions Please.

Decorating By aliciababcock Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 3:36pm by aliciababcock

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:30am
post #1 of 17

Since I have never taken any classes and don't know anyone else who decorates, I would like your honest opinions. I think that over the last year I have developed my cake decorating skills greatly and the only way I will get better is by having people that know how to decorate critique me. My Diego cake is my newest cake. (I will try to attach, but if not, it is in my photos.) I had to drive it 2 1/2 hrs to my best friends house. I did it for her daughter's 4th birthday. It had a few knicks in the mmf when I got there, but I managed to fix them. It was a lot smoother before it traveled that far. Anyway, any comments or suggestions will be welcome and my feelings won't get hurt. Just be honest. Thanks in advance. BTW it was an 8" and 6" round vanilla with buttercream covered in mmf. All decorations mmf.
LL

16 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:50am
post #2 of 17

I love the animals!!!! I think it's great.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:52am
post #3 of 17

It looks great. I love the bright colors. Your cakes are very nice. I really like the Easter cake! I took Wilton 1 & 2 and my cakes don't look that good!

aliciababcock Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:15am
post #4 of 17

Thank you very much. I doubt myself alot and when my friends and family say it is good then I wonder if they are saying it to please me or not hurt my feelings. I appreciate the comments and it makes me feel much better.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:20am
post #5 of 17

it is precious. you have a true talent!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:27am
post #6 of 17

thumbs_up.gif Super cake!!!

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:53am
post #7 of 17

I just started making cakes this year, but I know it takes talent to make animals like that. I think they're great! Especially with no formal training. Keep up the good work!

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:38am
post #8 of 17

You did a wonderful job - great use of color! thumbs_up.gif and the animals/figures are really good. I do understand you wanting unbiased opinions, but you need not worry.
That cake is beautiful.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:13am
post #9 of 17

I think it's adorable, but if you WANT suggestions...

You could have the stream meander a little rather than be straight down...

You could post directions on how you made the animals, because they drive me mad...

If you want further suggestions, you can PM me for my address - I'll take one and send you my critique of the flavor... LOL!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:21am
post #10 of 17

I think your cake looks great. I love the animals. You really did a good job.

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:28am
post #11 of 17

Your cake is great, lots of detail.

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:28am
post #12 of 17

I think for being self taught that is an incredible job!

Your animals are adorable...nicely done icon_smile.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:30am
post #13 of 17

I think your cake is awesome! The animals are wonderful, and I agree that you could post directions about how to do them! You've obviously been practicing and learning a lot over this last year.

Suggestions:

I agree that the stream could meander more, and you might consider using some piping gel over blue fondant or mixing it with a little blue color. It makes for a realistic and stunning water effect.

Great job!!! thumbs_up.gif

S.

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:36am
post #14 of 17

Too cute! The colors are great!!!

dylansmommy3701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dylansmommy3701 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:09am
post #15 of 17

I agree w/ sonoma9 's comment. The piping gel would make an amazing water effect. I have a cake in my photos done with piping gel for a fisherman on the river, but it's not NEAR as beautiful as this one you have done. I know a lot of the times I am very critical on myself, but then when Non-Cake-Decorators see my work, they don't notice the tiny little flaws at all! Keep that in mind, it looks Amazing to them any way you do it, because most people wouldn't even know where to Start to make a cake like this! icon_smile.gif **& I also love your animals icon_smile.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:20am
post #16 of 17

Great work! Very cute!

aliciababcock Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:36pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks everyone! The animals took me a week to do because I kept getting aggrivated at them and starting over. But it was fun. I wasn't sure if I could do them because I have never been very artistic. I just looked at coloring books and figures on here and just went for it. I tried to make them look more cartoonish so that they didn't have to look real. But I appreciate all of you so much. I didn't even think about piping gel until I got there and set it up. Hindsight is 20/20. Again, thanks for your support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%