Okay Everybody, Answer This Question!

Decorating By patton78 Updated 20 May 2018 , 9:24pm by CalaMom

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:45pm
post #181 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePhun

My favorite thing I have learned from CC is.... I CAN DO IT!!
S

I agree with this. The encouragement you get here at CC is wonderful. There is always someone there to tell you you CAN do it, and someone to laugh with when things don't go quite right. icon_lol.gif

Kwitol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kwitol Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:50pm
post #182 of 511

The one thing I have learned so far is there is alot more people out there like me than I htought! icon_biggrin.gif

freeman203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freeman203 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 12:01am
post #183 of 511

I am just so happy that I found this site. I have been so busy trying the great hints I have found on just this one thread - One question tho - someone refered to cupcake cakes ???? Would one of you kind people tell me what that is?

zina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zina Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 1:32am
post #184 of 511

Yippee! my turn now but guess what, almost everything I have been turned on to has been mentioned already and that's ok because I too am so grateful for all the hints and suggestion's and I can't leave out the recipes that are here. I am soooooo addicted to CC and I know I'll never be able to stop and I don't want to. I just want to thank everyone for sharing with people like me (a cake decorating newbie)all that you know and more. There are however a couple of things I guess I havent gotten around to reading about yet and they are the Spackle Spatula, the bubblegum roses and also the Tootsie Rolls/starburst roses. Can someone help me? I did notice a lot of people saying something about the vanilla-caramel creamer and I think I will try that in a cake and see how I like that. Thanks again everyone for pics, recipes, tips and just being a great group to be a part of.

Zina B

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 3:00am
post #185 of 511

Hi ratio shortening (good bye Crisco) icon_biggrin.gif

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 3:03am
post #186 of 511

I love this website and this topic!!! I don't post much, I'm more of a stalker on here, but I have to say the flower nail trick and the foam paint roller to smooth frosting ( I just read that one, can't wait to try it) are the best tips I've heard. Thanks all for all the great advice!!! icon_biggrin.gif

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 3:19am
post #187 of 511

For me it wasn't a baking tip or recipe. Reading other peoples' customer "problems" opened my eyes on quite a few issues I hadn't run into yet. (And hope I never do)

Example: Would you ever dream a client would order two wedding cakes, keep #2 overnight, and RETURN it the next day saying it was unacceptable? Oy!

icon_surprised.gif

immortalove88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
immortalove88 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 3:44am
post #188 of 511

Oh my God I just read that MMF has meat in it I am trying not to throw up I am a vegetarian and did not know that I am crying right now.
My fave is {or was }MMF.

syliesyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syliesyl Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 3:56am
post #189 of 511

Its great to share ideas with people who have the same interests as me. icon_smile.gif

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 4:10am
post #190 of 511

Gotta love that homemade cake release - I learned about on this thread and used it today. Works wonders!!!

mommacat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacat5 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 4:18am
post #191 of 511

icon_confused.gif MMF has meat? icon_confused.gif what is immortalove88 talking about....anyone know? Oh what is homemade cake release?

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 4:24am
post #192 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaste28

BTW - Did you all know that you can make MMF okay for vegetarians by using marshmallow creme or fluff instead of marshmallows? I have to do it this way, because my son and lots of his friends are vegetarians. And to make it chocolate, I just substitute some cocoa powder for part of the powdered/icing sugar. It's sooo yummy!

Ok, now I'm confused. Marshmallows are comprised of sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, water and flavoring. Which of these ingredients can they not consume as vegetarians??

icon_confused.gif

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 4:25am
post #193 of 511

Marshmallows have gelatin in them, which is generally derived from cattle. Thus, they are not vegan.

There are vegan and Kosher marshmallows, using some form of plant substitute, such as agar, but I don't know if they would work for MMF. (Since marshmallow fluff will work, I see no need to experiment.)

RP

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 4:30am
post #194 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman203

I am just so happy that I found this site. I have been so busy trying the great hints I have found on just this one thread - One question tho - someone refered to cupcake cakes ???? Would one of you kind people tell me what that is?

A cupcake cake is made up of cupcakes arranged closely together on a tray or cake board, and then iced as if it was a single, continuous surface like a regular cake. Does that description make sense? You just ice across the surface, allowing the icing to cover the holes between the cupcakes.

Serving is simple, as people can just grab a cupcake.

RP

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 4:45am
post #195 of 511

I know this sounds like "ditto" to so many other threads, but I think the best trick I've learned here is that no matter what problem I've got, there is someone who has a solution I may not have thought of. Even though I've been doing this for 36 years, there is still more to learn .... thanks, one and all, for all the great help!

kaste28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaste28 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 4:52am
post #196 of 511

For people who didn't see my original post - marshmallows have gelatin in them. Gelatin is made from boiling the skin, bones, ligaments, etc., from animals. (Sounds gross, huh?) So, vegetarians don't eat anything with gelatin. There are some marshmallows that don't have gelatin, but they're hard to find. The ones you find at the grocery store do have gelatin. I make MMF using marshmallow creme or fluff, which does not have gelatin, and it works great. Vegans would still have a problem, though, because it does have egg whites.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 12:25am
post #197 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooh

There are just too many tips to just pick one.........

1) saran wrap icing plugs (this is the best!!!)

Is this the buttercream transfer method or somethingelse?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38404-tip.html

Check out this link: this is what I was talking about. Saves LOTS of time for me, not messy (which I am when trying to put the icing in the bag) and allows me to change colors quickly without changing the bag. That is my #1 most FAVORITE tip.

Oh! Cool tip! Thanx for clarifying.

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 12:40am
post #198 of 511

MMF!!! Both the taste and texture are so much nicer than regular fondant!

freeman203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freeman203 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:08am
post #199 of 511

I have heard a lot of people mention the Paper towel trick - does anyone use the wilton fondant smoother with the paper towel? It works much better for me than just using my hands.

katskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katskreations Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 4:25pm
post #200 of 511

Yes, I always use the fondant smoother with my viva. No finger indentations this way!

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 9:19pm
post #201 of 511

Here's the "recipe" for the cake release:

Equal parts crisco, oil, and flour. Mix well together and brush onto pan lightly covering entire surface. Make sure you get those corners good though. It works like a charm and is nice and easy

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 5:30am
post #202 of 511

Hands down MMF. It's the best fondant ever. Cheap, yummy, easy to work with. YAY!! LOVE it. Also? I let my kids use it for playdough- then they can eat it and it's okay!

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 10:30am
post #203 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlicious

I let my kids use it for playdough- then they can eat it and it's okay!

Great Idea!!!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:12am
post #204 of 511

Melvira's paint roller buttercream smoother....
thumbs_up.gif

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:47am
post #205 of 511

Ok, I am still a bit new to this site but I have quickly fallen in love with it! All of the tips are great! One that I just read from a prevouis poster was using a flower nail to center a cake, how great is that? I am always looking for ways to make my cakes more level so I cant wait to try this tip out!
Also I loved the fondant bow...it is sooo pretty, cant wait to try it either. icon_lol.gif

jstump Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstump Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:04am
post #206 of 511

Viva method, flower nail trick & cake extender. This site has helped me soooooooo much it's unreal. Everyone on here is great! thumbs_up.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:37am
post #207 of 511

The Mevira Roller is one of the very best, but everyone has had something good to offer & I just want to say thanks to you all.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:46am
post #208 of 511

Is there a like to How to make a cake extender??
Thanks!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:55am
post #209 of 511

Mine is kind of broad. But I think the fact that no matter what I am looking for, someone on this site will have a link or a source where I can find what I am searching for.

sarahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahd Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:57am
post #210 of 511

My two favorites are the Melvira method and the flowr nail and I have learned so much more from this thread.

Thank you all. I love this site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%