Okay Everybody, Answer This Question!

Decorating By patton78 Updated 20 May 2018 , 9:24pm by CalaMom

middysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
middysmom Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 6:16am
post #331 of 511

i am new what is violet cancels yellow could someone explain thanks doroth from tenn

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 6:25am
post #332 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by middysmom

i am new what is violet cancels yellow could someone explain thanks doroth from tenn

Because you use butter in your icing, it will have a yellowish tint. If you add a VERY small amount of violet coloring, it will leave you with very white frosting.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 9:56pm
post #333 of 511

Oh, I am soooo a believer now!!! icon_lol.gif I tried the trick about cleaning the tips and couplers in the microwave -- I'm officially converted now!!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again to the supergenius who came up with that one!!! thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 8:32pm
post #334 of 511

How do you use cocoa powder for paint?
Whats a cake extender do?
How do hershey kisses help make roses?

I am new and a little confused! THanks for clarifying!!

sweetcakesva Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 8:32pm
post #335 of 511

sorry posted twice!

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 12:35am
post #336 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCakesFL

How do you use cocoa powder for paint?
Whats a cake extender do?
How do hershey kisses help make roses?

I am new and a little confused! THanks for clarifying!!

Well I can answer some of this for you:

A cake extender is added sugar, flour, other dry ingredients and additional liquids added IN ADDITION to your ordinary cake batter to "extend" the batter -- in other words to make more. This also adds to getting a better, more homemade taste out of a regular box cake mix. There are recipes for extenders on CC.

As far as Hershey's Kisses as rose centers -- if you are familiar with the "Wilton Rose" with the #12 round tip blop in the center -- the kiss replaces the blop and you take your #103 or #104 rose tip and make the rose around the kiss as if it were the blop. I used to suggest this to students who couldn't master "proper blop technique." icon_cool.gif

I'm not sure about the cocoa painting, I've never done it but I'm looking forward to the responses on that question. Hope that helps some!! And Welcome to CC!!! princess.gif

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:35am
post #337 of 511

SLOW DOWN!!!!

I can't read that fast. I'm only on page 10 and trying to copy all these great tips!!!! WOW!

#1 - CC is the absolute BEST for everything cakes and cake related!!!

I never new about CAKE MIX EXTENDERS, or LUSTER DUST, or FBCT, or MMF (Yummy!!!!), or this new tip on the icing bags that you swap out - can't wait to try that one. If it weren't 11:30 and night I'd be in there decorating a cake,.. well I'd have to bake one first!... SHIRLEYW FOR MY ROSES, the GREAT TUTORIALS on all sorts of things I haven't tried but they're on my list. There's the great SUPPORT AND FEEDBACK AND HELP from all the friendly people here on CC. Oh, and lets not forget - CAKE BALLS, and the COFFEE CREAMER STUFF and did I say CAKE BALLS!!! (I'll have to make some of those tomorrow!) All the great RECIPES and tons more!!! My brain is just spinning with ideas and I can't type fast enough!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

- Paula

tmdoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmdoxie Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:10am
post #338 of 511

Probably using Viva to smooth out the cake.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:21pm
post #339 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETBAKES

So far one of the best "tricks" I've learned is "Violet cancels Yellow."

This is used to get a pure white color (if your BC has a yellow tint from using reeal butter of course!)

Wow! I didn't know that. Just us a bit from the Wilton paste colors?

Thanks,
Naty

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:31pm
post #340 of 511

I know a major big one I forgot.... (can't believe I forgot this one.)

THE MELVIRA METHOD!!!! Wow oh Wow oh Wow!!! I love it! No more Viva for me. I'll all about Melvira!!! Thanks Melvira!!

For those who are new check out the thread on Melvira's way to smooth a crusted BC cake using a foam paint roller... yep paint roller! That has been a major plus for me!!!

- Paula

sundaybegonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundaybegonia Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:30pm
post #341 of 511

Can you also do your lightweight bags the same way as the tips in microwave?

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:36am
post #342 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Oh, I am soooo a believer now!!! icon_lol.gif I tried the trick about cleaning the tips and couplers in the microwave -- I'm officially converted now!!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again to the supergenius who came up with that one!!! thumbs_up.gif

OK call me studpid...how do you do that? stick them in a container with soapy water and nook them?

Thanks,
Naty

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:52am
post #343 of 511

I just read the first page as I really don't have time to read the rest til the week-end icon_cry.gif , however can someone PM with the Violet cancels yellow trick I would love to know!!!!

As for the best thing I've learnt, if you look at my pics it pretty much everything!!!

CC rocks!!! thumbs_up.gif

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 3:30am
post #344 of 511

I saw that someone had posted to rinse your measuring cups with hot water then dry really fast for honey, oil..and so on...here's my tip spray your measuring cup with cooking spray. Without flour. I saw Paula Dean do it on her cooking show, and I've done it several times and it just slides right out. No sticky mess with your honey. I don't know if it will work with oil since its pretty much the same thing. thumbs_up.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 3:36am
post #345 of 511
Quote:
Quote:

A cake extender is added sugar, flour, other dry ingredients and additional liquids added IN ADDITION to your ordinary cake batter to "extend" the batter -- in other words to make more. This also adds to getting a better, more homemade taste out of a regular box cake mix. There are recipes for extenders on CC.

As far as Hershey's Kisses as rose centers -- if you are familiar with the "Wilton Rose" with the #12 round tip blop in the center -- the kiss replaces the blop and you take your #103 or #104 rose tip and make the rose around the kiss as if it were the blop. I used to suggest this to students who couldn't master "proper blop technique."

I'm not sure about the cocoa painting, I've never done it but I'm looking forward to the responses on that question. Hope that helps some

[quote]

Don't forget that you have to also add more moisture when you do this....Sourcream works the very best, and bump up the taste further with a couple of teaspoons of Almond or Clear vanilla extract. Moisture is the key to great tasting and perfect texture cake!

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:53pm
post #346 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaybegonia

Can you also do your lightweight bags the same way as the tips in microwave?

I don't recommend it. But here's a tip: when you wash out your featherweight bags in the sink, get a pringles can or something tall and thin like that and put the bag over it lightly to dry. That way it dries totally from the inside out! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:57pm
post #347 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

OK call me studpid...how do you do that? stick them in a container with soapy water and nook them?

Thanks,
Naty

Not stupid at all -- I just found out about this trick a couple of days ago!! I had a huge cake due this weekend (which translated to many, many dirty tips and couplers). I took my finger and plunged the big chunks of frosting out of them and put them all, tips, couplers and coupler rings into a glass bowl. I covered them with water and added a couple drops of dishwashing liquid to it. Put it in the microwave for 3 minutes (30 seconds wasn't nearly long enough! icon_confused.gif ) and then when they were "done" I poured them out in a strainer and rinsed them off and put them on a towel to airdry overnight. As long as they were covered with water the couplers did not melt and the metal did not zap inside the microwave. icon_lol.gif I'm still in awe over this one!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 3:02pm
post #348 of 511

[quote="Momkiksbutt"]

Quote:
Quote:

As far as Hershey's Kisses as rose centers -- if you are familiar with the "Wilton Rose" with the #12 round tip blop in the center -- the kiss replaces the blop and you take your #103 or #104 rose tip and make the rose around the kiss as if it were the blop. I used to suggest this to students who couldn't master "proper blop technique."

I'm not sure about the cocoa painting, I've never done it but I'm looking forward to the responses on that question. Hope that helps some

Quote:
Quote:

Don't forget that you have to also add more moisture when you do this....Sourcream works the very best, and bump up the taste further with a couple of teaspoons of Almond or Clear vanilla extract. Moisture is the key to great tasting and perfect texture cake!

She's right, don't forget to add additional liquids or you'll have one dry cake! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif Look for extender recipes on the recipes forum or in the threads, they have some great recipes!! thumbs_up.gif

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 3:04pm
post #349 of 511

Good Grief...I'm learning a TON just reading this tread!!!

So...ALL OF IT!!!

icon_biggrin.gif
Jenn

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 3:12pm
post #350 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen13

Good Grief...I'm learning a TON just reading this tread!!!

So...ALL OF IT!!!

icon_biggrin.gif
Jenn

Can you see the problem my students have -- namely a teacher who wants to teach it "ALL" to them!! icon_lol.gif No wonder they get overwhelmed!! icon_biggrin.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm
post #351 of 511

I just learned something myself!! The tip cleaning thing is really cool! Scary, but cool! I will try this tomorrow when I finish the bridal shower cake I am doing......and of course I will post my cake too! Just hope it turns out ok, I am making calla lillies for the first time......I'm a perfectionist, so you can imagine that I am just having fits over here doing them......LOL icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

Thanks again for your wealth of information!!

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:47pm
post #352 of 511

Someone asked what the icing blobs were.......I can answer that.

You take your buttercream plain, colored, whatever you are going to need for your cake. Put down a good size sheet of saran wrap on your table, take your icing and blob it on there until you have about a 1/2 cup of icing on the the saran. Now roll that icing up like a sausage. twist the ends until tight. Continue doing this with all your icing. When you are ready to use it, snip one end off of the icing "sausage" and put it in your piping bag. When it runs out, pull out used saran and replace with a new icing sausage. it makes things easier and faster in the long run, and if you need to take icing to a wilton class or something it makes transporting and using SO much easier. Our instructor taught us this.

Moofiebonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moofiebonbon Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:26pm
post #353 of 511

I just needed to say that I LOVE YOU all! I have made very few posts here, but I will say that I have learned sooooo very much from you all! Reading over the many pages in this thread has been EXCELLENT! I have learned so much. I tried the saran wrap-icing bullet thing today and WOW! That in it's self is worth gold. The Viva Towel has been my very favorite, I learned that from here within a week or so of my notion that I would enjoy cake decorating and when I first did it, I was like holy-cow- AMAZING!
I told my husband last night that I beleive that cake decorators must be the nicest people there are in this world! Bless you all and thank you for all of the wonderful tips from the past and the ones I am looking forward to in the future. Maybe someday I will able to give a tip or two. icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:29pm
post #354 of 511

Oh, oh, here's a tip: I learned this from my original cake teacher, and I've been using it for so long that I plum forgot it was a handy tip! icon_rolleyes.gif When filling your decorating bag (either the plastic disposable or the plastic featherweight bags), put the tip/coupler in, then put the empty bag in an empty Pringles can and fold over the sides. This gives you enough room for the frosting inside the can and saves your hands from getting super sticky and the bag flailing about when filling it with frosting. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:41pm
post #355 of 511

Okay, this has my vote for most popular thread EVER on this site. Who's with me?? icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

sweetcakesva Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:28am
post #356 of 511

everyone said this site is SO addicting...AAHHHH! I am an CakeCentralholic
Thanks for all these cool ideas!!!!!

squirre72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squirre72 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #357 of 511

Well, I better say that I've never put my bags, my tips and my coplers in the microwave. First time I've heard such a good idea. What I do and it works great for me is that I do the same thing you guys do, but on my stove. I take a sauce pan and fill it with water and some dish soap and I put the tips, bags, etc... and bring it to boil. When it's done the soap has taken away the sugar and all that stuff and then I rinse all of them; just like you do your dishes. And that's it!

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:55am
post #358 of 511

violet cancels yellow???? do tell!!!! so do u just add violet color to your icing??? please let me in on that one!!! i'd say the best thing i ever learned was making mmf...it is the best to work with... the cheapest to make...and the yummiest to eat!!!

STX44703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STX44703 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:52pm
post #359 of 511

VIVA IS THE BEST!!!
My second favorite has to be the WASC recipe. Everyone loved it and I've gotten orders for that cake!!!
I used to only do boxes but now I'll only do WASC or with the extender..makes it sooo much better!!

I LOVE CC!!

svandam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
svandam Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:02pm
post #360 of 511

Where do I get a metal flower nail? Will they have them at local cake decorating stores....I don't have time to order of the net!! thanx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%