Okay Everybody, Answer This Question!

Decorating By patton78 Updated 20 May 2018 , 9:24pm by CalaMom

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:52pm
post #271 of 511

OMG. I guess I'll have to buy 2 playdough fun factories, one for me and one for my girls! I love hearing about cheaper alternatives to expensive gadgets!

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:04pm
post #272 of 511

I love reading all these tips!!!!

Melvira Method was the best thing I've learned on CC

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:04pm
post #273 of 511

The best tip I've gotten from CC is that all you need do is ask your question.

I've learned that there are some talented people out there who are wonderful human beings. They give of their time, expertise and compassion to those of us just starting out. I am in awe of all of you. I spend hours each day just trying to keep up with your comments, tips and photos. Thanks so much!

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:15pm
post #274 of 511

OOOh, 19 pages!

could someone please tell me about cleaning tips in microwave?

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:55pm
post #275 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn2467

OOOh, 19 pages!

could someone please tell me about cleaning tips in microwave?

Put your tips and couplers in a bowl with a little dish soap, (I use a butter dish with a lid), make sure that the tips are completely covered with water and pop it into the microwave for about 3 minutes. Then I pour the entire contents of the bowl into a kitchen colander and rinse with warm water. And presto . . . Clean, greasefree tips!! icon_biggrin.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:57pm
post #276 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyPJ

Anybody know where to get the Playdough Fun Factory? I looked at Toys R Us today and didn't find it. I also just looked online with no luck. I have a small clay gun that I use for fondant decorations, but it's not very easy to use. I'd like to try something else.

I found a play-doh fun factory on ebay, but I broke it the first time I used it!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 8:44am
post #277 of 511

I can't believe I just finished reading ALL 19 pages and every post to this thread! Hurray for me!

I'm trying to think of things that haven't been mentioned....yet. Okay, here are a few:

Anyway, I guess one of my favorite tips from this site is learning the techniques on how to do certain things - the tutorials.

Learning about clay guns/extruders.

And a tip I had gotten at some point, not from this site though, is that when measuring anything "gooey" like honey, butter, shortening, peanut butter, etc. you should rinse your measuring cup/spoon under hot water for a bit, then either shake off the water or dry quickly and measure. The gooey item tends to release easier. I've done this for a few years and it seems to work well for me.

Finally, sifting boxed cake mix - I had never heard of that before this site (along with cake balls and cupcake cakes).

-Grace

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 8:51am
post #278 of 511

Oh, by the way, for anyone interested in the Play-doh Fun Factory: http://www.hasbro.com/playdoh/default.cfm?page=products&product_id=8994

I can just imagine the reaction of the Hasbro employees when they get a run on Fun Factories (all from CC members tomorrow). icon_lol.gif

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:12am
post #279 of 511

I don't know what I would have done without CC or the fantabulous people on here!!!

I think the best tips I've gotten would be (apart from EVERYTHING!!!!) icon_lol.gif
*cake balls,
*MMF,
*Flower nail trick,
and soooooo much more.

Thank you to everyone. You are all FANTASTIC. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Just imagine if everyone in the world was as kind, open hearted and giving as we are here at CC. What a wounderful place the world would be!!

Mary :

bittern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittern Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:56pm
post #280 of 511

As a real newbie to cake decorating and this forum I would suggest printing out all the the tips/tricks listed above, highlight the ones most important to you and then put them in a three-ring binder. I've done this and it really helps when I go brain dead and can't remember something.... I keep the binder with all my baking supplies... So far I haven't forgotten where I keep it.

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:06pm
post #281 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Oh, by the way, for anyone interested in the Play-doh Fun Factory: http://www.hasbro.com/playdoh/default.cfm?page=products&product_id=8994

This site is great for "how to's" on making different items that can be used for fondont too!

ptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptain Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:17pm
post #282 of 511

For me the best thing would be cake balls!!!! And the help frome every body on this site. I took all three Wilton classes but the help I get from people here and the tutorials have helped me more than any class out there. Thank you to every body out there willing to help a newbie like me....

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:21pm
post #283 of 511

Cake balls! I was using the scraps for triffles at home, making suzy-q sandwiches or just pitching them before....there is only so much cake the family and I can handle. Cake balls are a great seller too, what a great way to save $$$

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:23pm
post #284 of 511

cake balls (def #1!!!!)
flower nail
americolor
luster/pearl/etc.. dusts
coffee creamer
parchment to smooth BC
Satin Ice fondant - YUM!!!
rice krispy treats for sculpting

I'm sure there are many more!!!!

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:15pm
post #285 of 511

the best thing i have learned at CC is that there is a back side to every cake. this has saved me from stressing out many times!

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:21pm
post #286 of 511

I never used MMF until I came to CC. Thanks CC for the great tips!!!!!

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:30pm
post #287 of 511

OMG...Just put my tips and couplers in the microwave...I am NEVER going to try cleaning them any other way.
Definitely one of my favorite tips.

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:36pm
post #288 of 511

The flower nail trick thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 12:54am
post #289 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsilvus

OMG...Just put my tips and couplers in the microwave...I am NEVER going to try cleaning them any other way.
Definitely one of my favorite tips.

????? Putting your "metal" tips in the microwave??? Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but how can that be safe?? Would you please elaborate on this trick? I've never heard of it before.

sarahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahd Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:11am
post #290 of 511

I was a little curious about putting my tips in the microwave but I just tried it for the first time and it works great! I will use this method from now on. thumbs_up.gif

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:43am
post #291 of 511

Oh my gosh! made it through to the 20th page. Awsome!

I am new to CC and I have been making cake balls for 3 yrs. I make the cakes for my cake balls I rarely have scraps. I have never heard of the coffee creamers until I came to this site purely by accident.
Eveything has been fun so far and I love the inspirations.

For those who are vegans and hate the fact that gelatin is made of bone marrow you can get a natural gelatin at most health food stores called Agar agar. Yes twice the word. I have never mixed it in for an icing but have used it instead of gelatin in canning wild fruits.

For those of you who do not wish extracts based in alcohol you can also get those at a health food store that are alcohol free.

Now I use the paper towel method all the time. I actually buy the heavily patterned ones so that once my icing has crusted I print a wonderful pattern all the way around my cake. It covers the sides so it is roughly pretty even. I get some really nice plaids and patterns depending on the brands I can find.

So far it has been wonderful. To think I found you all by surprise! It is a good year.
Claire

reesesob Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:49am
post #292 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

????? Putting your "metal" tips in the microwave??? Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but how can that be safe?? Would you please elaborate on this trick? I've never heard of it before.

This is what was posted earlier about the tips in the microwave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

1. Using a microwave to clean my tips has changed my life icon_lol.gif

Place tips in a microwave safe bowl. COVER with water, add a few drops of dish liquid. and microwave for 30 sec. or so. They will be very hot and Clean!! Yes I know they are metal and it is a microwave (Trust me and CC of course) Just make sure and Cover with water.

(by the way the microwave is really easy to wipe up after too! icon_lol.gif )

I saw on mythbusters that metal (in small quantities) in a microwave being bad was false... who knew?

purplecakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplecakediva Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:12pm
post #293 of 511

Okay, I don't know how I've lived without this forum...

I am a newbie and have read all 20 pages. I tried the tips in the microwave!!! Excellent... I had to call my Wilton instructor on that one,(she didn't know so I felt like a genious) I am trying the VIVA trick today. I have been using those papertowels since they came out. I already loved them.. I am gonna try the flower nail trick also... I am doing my final cake for class 3 tonight, so I will let you know how it goes.

P.S. Gonna bake a cake specifically for Cake Balls. I think I am going to use lemon cake with French Vanilla Creamer. Yummy...

reesesob Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:39am
post #294 of 511
Quote:
Quote:

P.S. Gonna bake a cake specifically for Cake Balls. I think I am going to use lemon cake with French Vanilla Creamer. Yummy...

YUMMY!!!!!! I want some

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:12pm
post #295 of 511

please help me I really want to know that trick!!!
Jeanne

reesesob Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:15pm
post #296 of 511

which one sweetcakes?

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:27pm
post #297 of 511

Because I'm not as experienced, I've learned so much from this website. I would have to say learning to make MMF instead of using the Wilton fondant.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:21pm
post #298 of 511

without CC, I would have never known about :

MMF
Americolor
LorAnn oils
NFSC
Edible Images (being able to do them myself!)
Margie's Incredible Chocolate Cake
Antonia74's Royal Icing
TORTING
making a dam
crumb coat (can you tell that I haven't taken classes?)
wrapping warm cakes in saran wrap
CAKE BALLS!
luster dust

haven't tried yet:
flower nail
violet cancels yellow

the list goes on and on...

carterl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carterl Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:55pm
post #299 of 511

Best tip- Melvira method for smoothing cake surfaces. Eternal gratitude for answers to so many questions that would've been unanswered. It is like having your own personal teacher ready to help with any project. Thank you CC community!

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 11:33pm
post #300 of 511

Okay, after making it through 20 pages (OMG!), I have compiled a list of all these tips. I now have 64 tips/tricks/ideas. This is the best site EVER! I have gained so much confidence because of you guys. You have helped me with a name for my business (thank you Doug!), and gotten me out of one mess after another.
I would have to say the best tip I have gotten is storing my gum paste flowers in a shoe box (not a plastic bin) with tissues, and placing it somewhere dark.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%