Okay Everybody, Answer This Question!

Decorating By patton78 Updated 20 May 2018 , 9:24pm by CalaMom

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 511

What is the very best thing/best secret you have learned here on CC that you could not have learned any where else? I am really curious to know because I love all the ideas and secrets shared here!
I would have to say my favorite one so far (of many lol) would be adding the caramal vanilla creamer to my cake mix and BC.

510 replies
mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 511

What to do with cake scraps ......
Make cake balls Image

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 511

Ditto on using cake scraps to make cake balls.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 511

There are sooooo many, but I'll just name one.
The Flower nail trick!

For those who don't know what that is.. It gives you level cakes when baking.

Just grease and flower a metal flower nail, place it faced down in your baking pan, pour batter around it and bake your cake as usual. Works great. No need for those baking strips or a baking core.

When the cake is done and cooled, just turn it out and the flower nail is on the bottom. No big hole, only a slight indentation the size of the flower nail head

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 511

Yes, your right, the flower nail, that has got to be one of the best!

mrboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrboop Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 511

I would have to the Viva paper towel and the FBCT.

mvigil Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 511

rezzycakes I have never herd of that one THANKS FOR SHARING!!Image

SWEETBAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWEETBAKES Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 511

So far one of the best "tricks" I've learned is "Violet cancels Yellow."

This is used to get a pure white color (if your BC has a yellow tint from using reeal butter of course!)

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 511

mine is wrapping my still warm cakes in plastic wrap to cool in, makes them so much more moist and everyone loves them even more! they even last longer.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 511

I have learned lots of little hints on CC but I think the best thing about CC is the fact that I'm not the only one who makes mistakes. It's reassuring when someone posts that they've screwed up. Makes me realize that we are all human!!!

I've learned that Wilton isn't the only supplier in this old world. So glad I found out about Americolor on here. I love the way everyone jumps in to help you when you need to find something. I could go on and on.

Diane

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:53pm
post #11 of 511

My favorite is FBCT, because I can't draw, but I can trace an outline and fill in. I also like the smooth top.

RP

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 511

I have to agree with using yourcake scraps and the caramel/vanilla coffeemate. I didn't know about the flower nail either, I'll have to try that! Thanks for sharing rezzycakes!!!!!

Thanks for starting this thread, Patton78 thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif K'ly ^,,^

Thanks in advance to EVERYONE!!! I know we are going to get ALOT of new ideas.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:57pm
post #13 of 511

So far I have to say the flower nail trick I just learned by reading this post I have to try that on my next cake thanks CCers

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 511

I've learned so much but I have to agree with the flower nail.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:14am
post #15 of 511

i just tried the violet cancels yellow trick and it worked.. OMG this has to be the best tip i have learned off cc.

kylie

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:20am
post #16 of 511

FBCT, definitely.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:21am
post #17 of 511

pushing down on your cakes as soon as you take them out of the oven to level them

viva paper towel trick

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:23am
post #18 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlyKat

I have to agree with using yourcake scraps and the caramel/vanilla coffeemate. I didn't know about the flower nail either, I'll have to try that! Thanks for sharing rezzycakes!!!!!

Thanks for starting this thread, Patton78 thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif K'ly ^,,^

Thanks in advance to EVERYONE!!! I know we are going to get ALOT of new ideas.

What have I missed about caramel/vanilla coffeemate? It sounds good. Anything with caramel sounds good!

My two favorites things that I have learned is that you can use Hearshey's Kisses for rose centers and the Viva method.

But most importantly that there are people out there that aren't afraid to share their knowledge, their recipes, their mistakes and their praises with others. It's wonderlful!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:29am
post #19 of 511

Ditto on the leveling by weight when cake is removed from the oven. Nice time saver!!
One problem....my grandson is complaining he doesn't get the ''top'' anymore!!! I had always cut the removed extra in half, then filled with icing to make an impromtu ''whoopie pie'' for him.

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:33am
post #20 of 511

I have learned many things including the FBCT, and I can't wait to try the flower nail. I liked learning I have options other than Wilton. But most definitely I like the fact that other people go through the same things I do when making a cake. I wonder do any of the rest of you pray over cakes? I have a daughter who that is her job on "cake day". Thanks to everyone who is willing to share their secrets it sure makes a difference.

Sumer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumer Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:38am
post #21 of 511

I tried the vanilla/caramel creamer thing today and just finished the cake scraps....oh my oh my oh my! Right now, while I am in cake-scrap euphoria, that is the best tip.....but I have also really used the Viva towel trick quite a bit!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:46am
post #22 of 511

All of the above!!!

those are great tricks and tips!!!

And I can also add: tootsie rolls/starburst flowers!!!!

Gotta love CC!!!!!

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:51am
post #23 of 511

OMG what have I not learned on this site. I am new to cake decorating still taking classes and I have noticed that the Wilton instructor does not tell you any little secrets. I am going to be trying the flower nail and the fbct this weekend. I just read the tip about using hersheys kisses for roses. I am horrible at roses though I am getting better how does the kisses work. I could go on and on there is so many wonderful people on this board that shares there ideas and tips. Hope some day I can share something I have learned. Thanks

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:55am
post #24 of 511

Wow, this caramel/vanilla creamer sounds great! How much do you add into your mix??? And flavors besides white and yellow do you use it in??

kris2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris2005 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:55am
post #25 of 511

I would have to be the viva method.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 1:00am
post #26 of 511

For me, it's been the Viva method, the flower nail and even though I haven't yet tried it, FCBT and chocolate transfer.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 1:03am
post #27 of 511

The best thing I have learned from CC is the FBCT!!

But, I'm still learning new things everyday and that's great, too!!!

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 1:10am
post #28 of 511

Ok, so I'm really new at this and feel like I don't even know the basics! So, what's FBCT and the viva method? Thanks!! >^..^<

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 1:13am
post #29 of 511

MMF and FBCT. Never even knew these things existed! Just having you guys to consult with. I used to talk people out of fondant because I did not know how to make it and Wilton is yuck! I have been so much more creative since getting on this site. I can tell week to week the improvements in my work. Thanks everybody at CC!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%