How Much To Charge?

Decorating By crafty1 Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 12:33am by crafty1

crafty1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty1 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, thumbs_up.gif

Let me start by saying that this is the best website for cake decorating that I have found, hands down!!! I love that you can see photos. I love the recipes. I love the forums. And what has really impressed me is the help, the support and the kindness that is shown to each other. When I need help with how to's, I come here. When you see all your mistakes and someone tells you "great job" or "it looks wonderful", that kindness really makes your day. So this site, is more than just about cakes, its about the people who love to make and decorate those cakes! And I am so happy and lucky to have found it.

I have learned so much from this site and the wonderful members. I've just made my first bcft, thanks to cali4dawn. But I need to learn more. Since I'm new at this, I have no idea how much to charge a potential customer. What is the going rate for a 11x15 cake with a fcbt? And, how do you factor in all the time and labor? Or isnt it a factor? I'm just getting started and I want to build a good reputation. And I want to be fair to my customers and also to myself at the same time.

Appreciate any and all answers.

Thanks so much!

trish

4 replies
keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 5

First of all - welcome - isn't this the best site? I love it too!! And the home page disclaimer that it's addicting is NOT a lie!

I'm not sure if I can help a lot, as I've never done a FCBT transfer, but would like to. I would think $40 as a starting point? I could be way off depending on your market, etc, but that's what I would probably go for.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Trish and welcome to CC. I also love this site and all the information and awesome pictures.

What I did was call my local bakeries and ask what they charged (of course pretending to be a potential customer). Then I did a cheat sheet for me to look at when I received phone calls for orders.

HTH

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:53am
post #4 of 5

WELCOME!!!!!! I agree with ChrisJ. Find out what's the price around your area, at a bakery....not at a grocery store. Good luck.

Jennifer

crafty1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty1 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:33am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much for your replies and welcoming me to CC.

Thats what I will do. I will call the local bakeries and find out what the going rate is in my area.

This site IS addicting! You guys are wonderful!

Take care!

til next time, thumbs_up.gif

trish

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%