Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By leepat Updated 16 Sep 2006 , 2:03am by Sweetpeeps

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 11

How do ya'll get that deep chocolate color to your buttercream? Mine is always a lighter chocolate color. I have used Hershey's cocoa and the dutch chocolate and also have melted the chocolate squares and added to it. Great taste but still not dark brown.

10 replies
Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 11

The only time I ever made chocolate I couldn't get it to turn dark either. I actually made up a batch of jiffy chocolate icing and added to it. urrg. All I've heard since then is to use the dutch process cocoa. It sounds like you did already though. I know that it does darken once it sits a bit though.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 11

it does darken after it sits, but never quite enough. I usually end up add choc. brown gel color to it to make it darker.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 11

I always add a can of store bought frosting and brown food coloring to my white buttercream..... my little secret, but don't knock it until you've tried it icon_lol.gif it's YUMMY! Hee Hee!

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 11

Use the chocolate syrup frosting recipe here in the recipe section. Just dont overbeat! Seems like the longer you beat the frosting, the lighter it gets. Oh, and be sure to sift your cocoa or the lumps won't dissolve. I usually do half regular cocoa powder and half Hershey's Special Dark and it makes a nice rich color - although you could use just the dark.

chrissy736 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy736 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 11

I use the "my easy chocolate buttercream" recipe on this site the other day and it is delicous. If it isn't the color chocolate you want just add brown coloring to it!! It sure is YUMMY!!!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you!!!!

Sweetpeeps Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 11

Can you use the Chocolate Syrup recipe for roses and flowers or is it just for covering the cake?

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 11

I haven't tried it for roses yet, just for covering and piping borders and designs. I am sure you could though if you just didn't add as much milk.

mrboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrboop Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 11

When I make my chocolate icing I use Hershey's Dark Cocoa. It tastes great almost like an Oreo cookie.

Sweetpeeps Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:03am
post #11 of 11

Thanks you all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%