Homemade Fondant Recipe Tastes And Has Texture Of Satin Ice?

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 7 Dec 2013 , 4:47am by LTerry

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 18

I LOVE how easy Satin is to work with. I had no problem rolling it out, draping it, coloring, nothing. it was like playing with playdough. We also liked how it tasted and the texture wasn't offensive or chewy (I had a thin layer of buttercream and a thin layer of satin ice).

But... I can't spend $14 on a tub of fondant every time I want to make such a cake! So, which fondant recipe is most like Satin ice?

Thanks!
melissa

17 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 18

I've never tried Satin Ice because I can't find it locally, and I'm too cheap to pay shipping, but I've been using Michelle Foster's fondant, and I LOVE it! It tastes wonderful and is very easy to make. It isn't very chewy on your cake either. You can adjust the flavorings if you want. My boys are 5 and 7, and they always ask for some when I'm using it. My youngest hates mmf, but they'll both just eat a piece plain!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 18

Oh, haven't seen that recipe yet. How big of a batch does this make? Seems like a large batch.

Melissa

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 18

I haven't tried Satin Ice either yet. I really want to but it is so hard to justify spending the money for it when I can make fondant cheaper at home. I really like Toba Garrett's fondant recipe. You definately should try it sometime! thumbs_up.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 18

The recipe that Collette Peters has in her book is close but it doesnt always come out for you.
Rhonda's MMF is a pretty good recipe but it doesnt compare to Satin Ice.
I would just compensate your pricing to include the cost of it until someone finds one!!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 18

I don't like the MMF either but I really like Toba Garret's. I find it easy to work with and you can change the flavors around to your liking.

weirkd Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 18

Do you have a link to Toba's recipe?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 18

I've never tried satin ice either and I have tried Toba Garrett's recipe and Michelle Foster's. I found Michelle Fosters to be awesome. I liked it much better than Toba Garrett's. It had just enough stretch and was super easy to work with. I was sooo excited when I made my first batch b/c I, too am too cheap to buy fondant and thought this was an excellent alternative.

weirkd Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 18

Where are you guys getting the recipes for Toba's and Michelle's? Im a fan of Michelle's work and would love to have a recipe from her!!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 18

Here's the link for Toba's fondant....I'm not sure about Michelle Foster's
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2127-Toba-Garretts-fondant.html

weirkd Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks!

weirkd Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 18

Alana do you know how much her fondant will cover?

alanahodgson Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 18

I'm not sure about how much it willl cover. The first time I made it was a half batch and the second time was a 1/4 batch. the half batch was use to cover 7 mini cakes that were 4 inches high and 4 inches wide. I only used about half of what I made. wait....... I just weighed what I have left from that batch and its about a pound so I'm guessing the full recipe is 4 lbs of icing. If you consult the wilton chart for covering cakes you could probably estimate how much cake 4 lbs of fondant will cover. I know different types of fondant cover differently (so I've read) but it will probably give you a ballpark.

[/url]http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/fondant/fondantamounts.cfm[url]

sorry I can't help you more.[/url]

weirkd Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:32pm
post #15 of 18

Oh, thank you! You've helped more than you know!

LTerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LTerry Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 8:53pm
post #16 of 18

Okay, I have tried Wilton fondant, terrible tasting, but easy to work with, mmf, tastes okay, a little more difficult to work with, buttercream fondant recipe (better to work with than mmf, better texture, taste okay.  But today I received my first order of Satin Ice, and oh my gosh!  It tastes amazing!  The texture is awesome, I am going to work with it now, so I will let you know how it is to work with.  But I have to say none of the other fondants compare to Satin Ice in taste!

Otee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Otee Posted 6 Dec 2013 , 8:41pm
post #17 of 18

AI am new to cake decorating, and I'm looking for a recipe for fondant that tastes good and is easy to work with. I will definately try Toba Garret's and Michele Foster's. Thanks for sharing.

LTerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LTerry Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 4:47am
post #18 of 18

I finished the cake I made using the Satin Ice, I actually found it a little more difficult to work with than the mmf, I had a little problem with it cracking when making the ribbon for the cake, so I had to work some Crisco in to keep it from cracking.  So this is my opinion about fondants (at least the four that I have tried), Wilton is hands down easiest to work with,  (but doesn't taste good) Satin Ice is the best tasting, (although a little harder to work with).  Home-made buttercream fondant, (easy to work with, but lacks in taste), finally, mmf, tastes pretty good (as far as fondant goes) and if you add a secret ingredient to it, the mmf is easy to work with.  What is the secret ingredient?  Half a box of Wilton fondant!  When you make a full recipe of mmf, and add half a box of Wilton fondant to it, you lose the bad taste of Wilton fondant and make the mmf easy to work with.  It is a win, win!  I have to tell you, this was not my idea, I stumbled across it on you-tube, I can't remember the gal who gave the tip, but it is a great one!  I think you could probably do the same with Satin Ice, combining the two would give you the best of both worlds, great taste and a great workable fondant!  That is what I am going to go with, it just makes life a lot easier for me to buy premade fondant, by the time I buy all the ingredients to make mmf, it isn't that much more expensive to buy the pre-made, and it is a huge time saver.  This is a picture of the cake I made, this was a lot of fondant work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%