Push Molds - Can You Make Your Own? How?

Decorating By Katskakes Updated 3 Jan 2013 , 4:41pm by ConniM1

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 16

I was just looking for push molds on the internet. i found a few. the ones i've looked at are not the ones you can push. I went to ebay and saw a ton being sold there. But they look like they are made at home. HOW?! does anyone know?

thanks,
kat

15 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 16

I've made my own molds using gumpaste! You can push it on a doll face or whatever when it's pliable to make the impression then let it harden overnight and voila you have a mold. Oh and there's a silicone plastic stuff.......i've seen it online it's a liquid and when it sets up it's a harder plastic!!! It's expensive though.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 16

Use silicone plastique.

It comes in two containers. One holds the base the other the catalyst.

Mix equal parts and then take an impression of the item you want to make a mold of. Let it harden, remove the item and you have a flexible mold.

DeniseRoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseRoy Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 16

I work at Michaels and we just got a new product to make your own molds. Not sure of the name but it is next to the clay and it has a picture of a baby on the front best part it is approved food safe.

Katskakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 16

thank you all!!

Denise - i think i've seen those. Are they the ones you use to do the babies hand and foot print?

DeniseRoy Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 16

I think so I didn't get to spend to much time reading the box I just remember seeing a picture of a baby on the front and then on the back it had a picture of making a mold from a plastic dinasour.Make sure it says food safe. It was 19.99 a box I want to get some with my next 50% coupon.

Rookie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie68 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks for the heads up on this...It's called Amazing Mold Putty that Denise referred to...www.amazingmoldputty.com

I just purchased some at Michaels today with my 50% off coupon! I have the makeyourownmolds putty but can't wait to try this!

Thanks so much!
Peggy

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 16

I am assuming the one from Michaels is NOT food safe so you can only use for gumpaste/fondant decorations. The link below is a food safe make your own mold' you can use chocolate, butter, etc. I believe someone on this site has used it before maybe they can say if they liked it.

http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html

Katskakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 16

oh this is nice!!! it looks like what they used in the food network challenge. very flexible.
I thought it was something else!!

thanks all again so much.

DeniseRoy Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 16

the one at michaels is food safe it says you can use it for ice, butter or chocolate.

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 16

I did my first attempt at a silicone mold for a christening cake last weekend. It was a product called Siligum, and it came as two pastes that you mix together in equal parts ... sounds like one similar to IHATEFONDANT's post above. It was extremely easy to use to make the mold, but Lord was it difficult to use ...in my case anyway! The trouble with the mold I made, was it was of two holding hands, and in order to get all the fingers out in tact, you really needed to demold in opposite directions. I would get one hand out perfectly, then the other one would be missing a finger, or vis versa. When the silicone was set, it was only partially flexible, actually it was quite rigid now I think about it!
Here is the resulting cast in Mexican Paste .... not sure if I'll agree to do one again!!
PS it was quite expensive too .... £15 for I think 100g - no idea what that's in $$
LL

Katskakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 16

that's nice!

Rookie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie68 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 16

The stuff Denise references is food safe....I have the box in front of me and it says:

Make your own molds for resin, food, soap, wax, clay and more.

Non-Toxic

Food Grade - FDA Compliant

Peggy

ConniM1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConniM1 Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 10:04pm
post #14 of 16

wow OMG I NEED that! THANK YOU DENISE...going out first thing tomorrow morning to make a Mold for a Customer's Cake for a Doll!!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 12:17am
post #15 of 16

Hmm. Rather reminds me of all the articles I've read in Model Railroader about using latex molds to cast rock faces in Hydrocal, and using silicone molds to cast parts in polyester thermoset, and relatively low-melting-point metal alloys. Of course, none of THAT would be "Good Eats."

ConniM1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConniM1 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 4:41pm
post #16 of 16

lol yes that's if you're making Silicone 'eats'....it's no different than molds that are used to make buttons or bows or faces etc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%