Which Tiara Template Is The Easiest For A Beginner?

Decorating By Amy729 Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 4:09am by luvbakin

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:19am
post #1 of 11

I am trying (let me emphasize trying...) to make a royal icing tiara. icon_smile.gif
There are so many templates for the tiara that I would like to know which one would be the easiest for a beginner.

Thanks!
Amy

10 replies
Amy729 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:07am
post #2 of 11

Come on all you tiara makers!!! icon_smile.gif

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 11

I made my own template so I guess I'm not really going to be of any real help. Just wanted to let you know which ever template you choose the hardest part is not making the tiara its getting off its form and onto the cake without shattering it. I was hoping to encourage you but I think that might have been scaring you... Its actually very easy to make, use atleast 2 layers of icing, let them dry a bit before doing the next. And I would use a wider design again for strength. Give yourself plenty of time in case you need to do it again. OK did everything but answer your question.... Good luck

Amy729 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks Biya!

I appriciate any tips! I think they look so nice on a cake and I want to practice for my little girls bday in Dec. She will be my 4 year old princess icon_smile.gif

Anyone else have more tips???

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 11

I actually drew my own based on a few templates here. I didn't want the close mesh design that some have. I did find that using a slightly larger tip (I think it was a 3) and did 3 layers, the first two just outlining and the last for detail, that I so far have not broken it. It's for my fair entry tomorrow. They are fun to make so good luck and take your time.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 11

I also appreciate these tips!! I am trying to gather my nerve to practice, but it is so intimidating!!!! icon_redface.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 11

I just did my first tiara too. I made this one using gumpaste, because I just read so many things about the ri ones breaking. I just didn't want to deal with all that. Oh, I should mention that I have a clay gun so making this one was easy.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-666713.html

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 11

Beautiful tiara luvbakin!!

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 11

luvbakin, where do you get a clay gun and what is it?

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 11

hobby lobby and micheal's both carry clay guns. They are clay extruders intended for use the polymer clay. They work really well with fondant and gumpaste.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 4:09am
post #11 of 11

Thanks. I got my clay gun from sugarcraft.com
It's the red and black one. I used all gumpaste. Next time I either need to try a 50/50 mix or work faster. If you look close on the curves it was starting to wrinkle. I taped the pattern to the can of oatmeal, then wax paper. After two days it was ready to come off, and it was sooooooooo easy to come off. No problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%