momof3jotynjake Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 10:02pm
post #1 of

I got an order for sat. for a 12" cake... beach theme... she likes the idea of flip flops... HELP!! ive seen the flip flop cake.. do you think i can make one of those.. and just put 1 flop on the cake?
if so.. how do you make these cakes?? or if anyone has any other ideas?

thank you!!

10 replies
cakegal Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 11:18pm
post #2 of

If it were me.... I'd bake the 12" cake.... and do your thing with the icing/ filling...etc.... Then I would make a batch of MMF.... and break a few pieces off for the strap part..color this to whatever color you need... and some flowers to put where the toe thingy goes........make the bottom of the flipflops white.or a lighter color....or whatever.....if you have some impressin mats...give it some texture.... make them at least 1/2" thick...they don't have to be gigantic.... That's what I would do anyways.... the MMF is real easy to make....and I think I'm going to be a big fan of it...
Hope this helps you..
cakegal

traci Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 11:28pm
post #3 of

Hi momofthree! I did a small cake for someone that had a beach theme last week. I loved the idea of the flip flops, but knew there would not be enough room on the cake to cut them out of pound cake. So what I ended up doing was this...I traced the souls of my 3 year old's shoes to make a pattern. I frosted my cake like normal and let the icing crust. Then I did a gel transfer of just the souls side by side on the cake. I then traced them with buttercream and filled them in with tip 16 stars(hot pink). Then I used some edible pearls for the straps...but you could use icing. I then put graham crackers around the shoes for sand. It looked sooooo cute and the little girl loved it! I wish I had a picture to show you, but I have not yet developed the film! Anyway, I hope that all made sense! icon_razz.gif
traci

momof3jotynjake Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 12:21am
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci

Hi momofthree! I did a small cake for someone that had a beach theme last week. I loved the idea of the flip flops, but knew there would not be enough room on the cake to cut them out of pound cake. So what I ended up doing was this...I traced the souls of my 3 year old's shoes to make a pattern. I frosted my cake like normal and let the icing crust. Then I did a gel transfer of just the souls side by side on the cake. I then traced them with buttercream and filled them in with tip 16 stars(hot pink). Then I used some edible pearls for the straps...but you could use icing. I then put graham crackers around the shoes for sand. It looked sooooo cute and the little girl loved it! I wish I had a picture to show you, but I have not yet developed the film! Anyway, I hope that all made sense! icon_razz.gif
traci

oooo that sounds cute!!!
was the whole sandle hot pink??
man I wish you had a picture lol

i made an 8" also.... i was going to cute flops out of that.. little ones. i have a 4 year old,, i can trace his.. and put that on top of the 12"?? hmmm now i dont know what to do!! LOL!

PolishMommy Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 1:48am
post #5 of

Those flip flop cakes are really popular now! I haven't tried one, but I'll have to soon! Let us know how it turns out!

KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 2:09am
post #6 of

Those cakes ARE adorable and I was so hoping my 12 year old would want a luau theme for her b-day july 30th since we have a pool and I own some great decorations for it...but she wants an Oriental themed party icon_cry.gif Oh well...I am sure we will have fun with it..and it is what she wants

traci Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:43am
post #7 of

Hi momof3! I did the whole flip flop pink....but you could make any design...maybe dots or flowers! I know you will do a great job! I can't wait to see pics! Anyway...I will have to wait about a week to look...we are moving tomorrow and I will not have DSL until the 11th! icon_sad.gif
traci

kakesbyrobin Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:09pm
post #8 of

Hey Kayday,

How about a cake that looks like japanese sandles?

ntertayneme Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:11pm
post #9 of

Hmmmm we have 2 birthdays here in our office... I'll have to do one of those flip flop cakes for one lady... the other is turning 50 so she's gonna get a really good one icon_wink.gif

kimh Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:37pm

This is a picture of one I did as a practice cake after my first class. I was just playing around. I thought it turned out cute.
LL

momof3jotynjake Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 8:25pm

thanks for al your help everyone!! the cake is done!! i made a new post on it.. and its in my photos!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%