Have You Ever Been So Tired That.....

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 16 Sep 2006 , 3:15am by oceanspitfire

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 14

OMG not like 24 cupcakes plus one for teacher is a big deal LOL Elsewhere I mentioned I was adopting my nephew's grade 2 class this year to practice on- and my first project was crayon cupcakes for all the kids and an apple for teacher.
Well, first off, I should have done the crayons a few days ago- it's been a nice dry summer until 2 days ago really cloudy and rainy and humid. So doing MMF crayons the night before- even if they were 'hard' they were not 'hard' LOL - is not a good idea.
Ok (this is also about learning LOL)
The plan was to also make little white chocolate alphabet letters and number sprinkles (HAHAHA I'm crazy I know). I printed out 2 pages of A B C and 1 2 3 in various font sizes and melted white chocolate wafers and tried tracing over the letters (wax paper) but between my unsteady hand/inexperience, and well that's probably that's all to blame lol (shoulda used RI maybe lol- they werent usable. SO the cupcakes got truffle chocolate mousse icing (I mixed the mousse powder in with my batch of BC) and 24 MMF crayons on them. Cupcakes were half chocolate white cake and half vanilla white cake.
HAHAHA more admission of stupidity: I DID Buy the 1M tip last month but for the life of me couldnt find it (hmmm check the bag from the store I bought it from in my 'tips' cupboard' lol- didnt though so I used 30- and so the swirls were 'ok' but not 1M lol.
What else? Hmmm

oh yeah the point of this post: Well the crayons got painted the black stripes and 'grade 2' on them this morning. The PLAN was to wake up at 7 and spend an hour doing a great job before my sister came by to pick up to take them to his school. Well if you would believe I fell asleep last night WHILE I was setting the alarm, and only by the grace of God I figure lol I woke up this morning and looked at the clock and it was 3 minutes to 8. HAHAAH so I had less than 15 minutes to paint 24 crayons, place them on the cupcakes, place the cupcakes on the tray, and get dressed.UGH I hate not having a shower in the morning but I'm home now and shall do that now either before or after I start cleaning my kitchen mess LOL

ANyway here they are. We shall just pretend the crayons are those rubber ones that arent supposed to be straight thumbs_up.gif Anyway, this is my first cupcake project. Anxiety was high but as the year progresses it will get easier. Right? LOL (oh and the kids and the teacher were all WOW lol)-

24 crayons. Each a different colour. Boy was that fun trying to match the colours from the 24-box of crayons LOL I told the kids 'this is the only time you ever get to eat crayons' LOL
LL
LL

13 replies
alise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alise Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 14

Sounds like a lot of fun! Well the first pic didnt show up, however the second one did and they look really good! very cute!

alise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alise Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 14

ok there it is! I love them! They are so cute!

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 14

Despite everything they do look cute! Just goes to show how well and fast you can do something if you have to!
LouAnn

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 14

LOL sounds like quite the drama! icon_smile.gif People have done a lot worse when they're tired though! Did you watch the Food Network's Birthday Cake Challenge? One decorator was making a body and put the head on backwards! She had already doweled it and couldn't turn it around! She even put hair on it and did some more stuff before she realized it wasn't on right! The cake unfortunately was pretty ugly to start w/ so that didn't help it at all! The "structure" of the cake was good but I'm sorry it was still a hideous cake - but I think the decorator knew too - she seemed tired and had larengitis (i'm sure i just spelled that wrong). So all in all - you did pretty darn good!!! icon_smile.gif And WOW w/ the patience of making all of those different color crayons! They would've been getting primary colors from me - red, yellow, blue! icon_smile.gif

oceanspitfire Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise

ok there it is! I love them! They are so cute!

Thanks lol. God the more I look at those pics the more I go blech I wanna redo them lol. I mean they're my first cupcakes (not ever but the first 'decorated' ones) and I REALLY wish I'd found the 1M tip a few hours earlier. That would have made SUCH a difference instead of the botch job I did with number 30 icon_smile.gif)
Oh well, I can use that as a lesson for the kids- next time I'll be more prepared- or they can watch me learn while they learn their stuff lol
And the crayons, man they'd have been so much more pro looking if they'd been straight icon_cry.gif ok I cant look at those pics anymore lol- they dont REALLY do a lot of justice in the first place though cause on her desk this morning they looked WAY better- believe it or not lmao

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 14

Ocean - I think you are being WAY too hard on yourself - of course, we are our own worst critics. I think the crayons are impeccable! And I don't think I would have taken the time to match the 24 colors either - wow! I think they look pretty cute curved like they are - gives them more character!

You're a trooper to take on a classroom for the year - that's awesome! Around here, our schools don't allow any homemade items to be brought to school - they have to be from the store, in packing that hasn't be tampered with. Isn't that sad? That was one of my favorite things about school - was my mom sending goodies with me. icon_cry.gif

They are wonderful - and yes, it's all a learning experience - darn it!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 14

When you find your 1M you will love it...can cover those darn cupcakes in literally seconds..I think your Crayons are fabulous, I know you wish they were harder so they were straight, but they were just great looking!

oceanspitfire Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

And WOW w/ the patience of making all of those different color crayons! They would've been getting primary colors from me - red, yellow, blue! icon_smile.gif

yeah I know it's amazing what we can pull off in a crunch- I figure I'm laughing as I've read all teh horror stories on here about the big deal stuff like wedding cakes etc. So I got off easy anyway with the sloppy job -because the grade 2s dont care and they werent for money lol

So yeah I saw all the cute crayon cakes/cupcakes /cookies on here and I wanted to just do basic primary colours but then there was that boy/girl colour thing and there are 15 boys in his class and only 8 girls so I thought UGH (my original crazy idea was to have the class name list and write each of the kids names on the crayons LOL) so I'm busy mixing different colours going ok OMG how many more blues and greens can I do for godsakes, the black and grey and browns were ugh, didnt want to do them but I had no choice LOL

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 14

OK!! Those are awesome crayons and cupcakes. And I know that the kids are going to love them. I just received a call from my grade 4 daughter, and everybody in the background was yelling that they loved loved loved the cake that I had decorated for them, and it was the most awesome one ever. I, however, thought that it was hideous. It was a fall theme, and she wanted me to put my practice roses on it. It sucked. You can find it under Back to School cakes. Thank goodness that we cook for kids, and they are much more forgiving than us. I guess that I am twice as lucky, because I am also practicing on the grade 1 class as well. I can't wait until my little guy goes to school. icon_biggrin.gif Talk about the practice I'll get then. I'll have three classes to bake for. The most important thing is that we remember that it is called "PRACTICING" for a reason.

oceanspitfire Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 14

oh and I forgot to add earlier that my other 'plan' (so many damned lofty ideas LOL) to FILL the cupcakes (never attempted before lol but the instructions on here seem easy lol), with the truffle mousse (that ended up being part of the icing) but I was too chicken to try and fill the cupcakes and didnt wanna butcher them and then have to make a whole new batch of cupcakes if I Screwed up. (my recipe ended up making exactly 25). So I cant wait A) to use the 1m tip and b) to try filling them next time icon_biggrin.gif

oceanspitfire Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:56am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanspitfire

oh and I forgot to add earlier that my other 'plan' (so many damned lofty ideas LOL) to FILL the cupcakes (never attempted before lol but the instructions on here seem easy lol), with the truffle mousse (that ended up being part of the icing) but I was too chicken to try and fill the cupcakes and didnt wanna butcher them and then have to make a whole new batch of cupcakes if I Screwed up. (my recipe ended up making exactly 25). So I cant wait A) to use the 1m tip and b) to try filling them next time icon_biggrin.gif

Egads I think I'm going to just keep baking for kids- they're so forgiving and full of praise and dont care what stuff looks like icon_lol.gif I went along to get him after school and to make sure I got my tray back and he put on the most serious face possible and said they were so yucky HAHAH- and then he handed me an envelope with a homemade thank you card (below) which he made (the left part below is the front- that IS a cupcake with a crayon on top, and me LOL) and then on the inside all the kids signed their names LOL AWWWW I said to him I wanted to cry- and he said dont cry, auntie, we really liked it LOL. OH and he also goes 'you really thought you did a messy job?' I said yeah but I have all year to use you as guinea pigs to improve. He says 'oh but it doesnt matter what they look like, auntie, as long as they taste good' icon_smile.gif) This is a good point I said, but if I ever decide to one day sell them for money, they cant just taste good, they have to look ok too LOL.

well I'm certainly looking forward to the rest of his school year to practice (and so is he LOL)
LL

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 1:07am
post #13 of 14

Kids - don't ya just love um!

oceanspitfire Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 3:15am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSurina

I guess that I am twice as lucky, because I am also practicing on the grade 1 class as well. I can't wait until my little guy goes to school. icon_biggrin.gif Talk about the practice I'll get then. I'll have three classes to bake for. The most important thing is that we remember that it is called "PRACTICING" for a reason.

Keris, yeah exactly and I'm so grateful for the fact that I can 'use' the kids lol- small town- I understand about the packaged no homebaked thing- I'm glad for that reason I live in a small town lol. This will be a great year for me to learn/experiment. And the kids are so blatantly honest with feedback so I know I'll hear if something doesnt taste right or whatever lol.
I have ideas swarming through my heads CONSTANTLY- I'm not exaggerating- LOL- I have WAY more ideas than I know what to do with since I joined CC- the wheels are always turning. And the only logical thingwas to adopt these kids cause where else am I supposed to send the creations to? icon_smile.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%