Wedding Cake Icing

Decorating By MariaLovesCakes Updated 13 Jul 2005 , 2:10pm by dulce

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 16

icon_smile.gif I was watching a TV show where they were making Swiss Buttercream: Whipping eggwhites with sugar over double boiler and then beating into it butter. HOw do they get it soo white. They didn't mention adding white color to make it whiter... So, what, do you beat it for a while until it gets really white? icon_cool.gif

15 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 16

It's white because you are using only the egg white and not the yoke. Also use a good quality butter as they are not as yellow. If that is not white enough add icing white.

Debbie

cakeladyofga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyofga Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 16

wilton sells a color called white white icing color. It's suppose to lighten icing. Even the off white color that comes with using butter.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 3:43am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakemaker

It's white because you are using only the egg white and not the yoke. Also use a good quality butter as they are not as yellow. If that is not white enough add icing white.

Debbie

What would you consider good butter? Do you know of any particular brands?

The recipe actually calls for unsalted butter which seems to be lighter in color, but it soooo expensive compared to the regular butter. icon_cool.gif

But again, can you tell me brands of good butter? icon_smile.gif

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 5:45am
post #5 of 16

I've heard the adding a little of lemon juice to icings makes them white, is it true?

Wandy

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 11:24am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

Quote:

Debbie

What would you consider good butter? Do you know of any particular brands?

The recipe actually calls for unsalted butter which seems to be lighter in color, but it soooo expensive compared to the regular butter. icon_cool.gif

But again, can you tell me brands of good butter? icon_smile.gif

My cake store sells "white" butter. I don't know the brand.

Unsalted butter is generally more expensive because it has a relatively short shelf life in comparison to it's salted cousin. I try and always buy unsalted because then I know I'm getting a fresher product.

Lisa

thecakemaker Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 16

I use land o lakes. I use the unsalted too - I can add salt to taste. I've found that the store brand butter is usually darker in color. If you're going for a pastel color icing though the darker is great to use.

Debbie

MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:

I use land o lakes. I use the unsalted too - I can add salt to taste. I've found that the store brand butter is usually darker in color. If you're going for a pastel color icing though the darker is great to use.

Debbie

At my supermarket, they don't sell white butter... but they do sell unsalted butter. I don't buy the store brand, but buy Blue Bonnet regular butter...

The difference in price is quite a bit. icon_surprised.gif I have to check how much more butter I am getting for the price.

What I can do instead is like mentioned before, to buy the white color from Wilton... Or there are some recipes that tell you to beat the butter until it is very pale.... I hear that the more you beat the butter, the whiter it gets...

Thank you for everyone's suggestions...

icon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandy27

I've heard the adding a little of lemon juice to icings makes them white, is it true?

Wandy

Wandy, I never heard of that but... I guess it doesn't hurt to try... icon_wink.gif

thecakemaker Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 16

Let us know how it turns out ~ i've never heard of beating it until it turns white either.

Debbie

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 16

Isn't it ironic that butter manufacturers actually add "butter yellow" coloring to their butter??? The lighter brands are the ones that don't add it. Land o Lakes or the more quality brands don't. Watch for it to go on sale and freeze a lot!

They aren't required to list the coloring as an ingredient, so you won't see it listed on the box. It's used in the industry to make the product look more "appetizing." Much like the stuff they add to meats to make it more red.

dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 16

For the really white color in the icing I using a little bit of color blue gel.

---Sorry with my english--

* Alguién que lo pueda traducir para beneficio de los demás*
Para que el frosting quede con un blanco puro y no se amarillente con el paso de las horas yo utilizo un poquitin del color azul en gel, coges la puntita de un palillo de madera y la pones en la boquita del frasco, solo un toquecito, con mucho cuidado y ese palillito con el poquito de color se lo pasas al frostin y lo mezclas en forma envolvente, cuidado de no utilizar exceso de color, porque obviamente en lugar de quedar blanco puro, quedaria azul, asi que mucho cuidado cuando lo hagan.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulce

For the really white color in the icing I using a little bit of color blue gel.

---Sorry with my english--

* Alguién que lo pueda traducir para beneficio de los demás*
Para que el frosting quede con un blanco puro y no se amarillente con el paso de las horas yo utilizo un poquitin del color azul en gel, coges la puntita de un palillo de madera y la pones en la boquita del frasco, solo un toquecito, con mucho cuidado y ese palillito con el poquito de color se lo pasas al frostin y lo mezclas en forma envolvente, cuidado de no utilizar exceso de color, porque obviamente en lugar de quedar blanco puro, quedaria azul, asi que mucho cuidado cuando lo hagan.

Before I translate, you are talking about using gel and adding blue color, or blue color in gel form? I usually use Wilton's color paste, but which one is the gel type?

(Espanol: Que tipo de colorante usas en gel. Viene ya en forma de gel or estas usando gel sin color y le anades un poco de color azul?)

To complete dulce's translation into English:

She uses gel color to add to icing to make it pure white. The gel is already colored blue. With a toothpick you take a very slight dip into the opening of the bottle and then blended it into the icing. The dab of gel blue color has to be very small, otherwise, your icing will turn light blue.

I guess this will take some practice, so, I would try it on a cake at home for myself or family member and see how it works.

THANKS, Dulce!

dulce Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 16

Me refiero al color que viene en ya en forma de gel, sino me equivo es el que se llama americolor (es que no tengo el frasquito a la mano). Pero también puedes utilizar cualquier tipo de colorante azul para frosting, lo que sucede es que con el colorante en gel controlas la cantidad mejor, y asi no corres riesgo de que el frosting quede azul.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulce

Me refiero al color que viene en ya en forma de gel, sino me equivo es el que se llama americolor (es que no tengo el frasquito a la mano). Pero también puedes utilizar cualquier tipo de colorante azul para frosting, lo que sucede es que con el colorante en gel controlas la cantidad mejor, y asi no corres riesgo de que el frosting quede azul.

Okay, dulce. Suena bien interesante. Un dia de estos lo voy a tratar a ver...

dulce Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 2:10pm
post #16 of 16

Ok, thanks for the translation Maria.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%