? Edible Image Printer

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 30 Jun 2005 , 4:05pm by thecakemaker

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 18

Hello, It's me again, I seem to be loaded with questions today.

After hearing everyone talk about their printer it makes me want one. Thing is, I don't know anything about them.

Here is question #2.

E-bay has a brand new Canon ip1500 bubble-jet printer with supplies.

Printer prints up to 8.5 x 14
USB cable
I set of edible ink cartridges,
12 small icing sheets--8.5 x 11
software
shipping $23.00

What is a good price for the machine/supplies.

17 replies
momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

After hearing everyone talk about their printer it makes me want one. Thing is, I don't know anything about them.

Here is question #2.

USB cable
software

shipping $23.00

what is the price? idl ike one too!!

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 18

I got my IP3000 for $65. on newegg.com with a $20. mail in rebate, so that'll be $45 and the kit from kopykake.com is $75. so after shipping, total came to $150. and then it'll be $130. after I get the rebate back. Just a little info for ya!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 18

You should PM lisa. She can tell you exactly what you need! icon_wink.gif
traci

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 18

I finally am able to purchase a printer and now can't decide if I want the printer or an opaque projector!

Debbie

cakeladyofga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyofga Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 18

What is the printer called? Is it PIXMA IP3000 bubble ink jet? then do you but the edible ink instead of regular ink? Because I just went to e-bay and they have this type of printer as low as $8.00 starting price of course.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 18

Hubby just bought me a Canon IP3000 for my small home business.I researched it quite abit before buying one and this is what I found!!

1.The Canon IP 1500 is less money than the IP 3000 but the quality is less superior.For the $50.00 or so price difference..buy the IP 3000!!

2.I would buy your printer from a reputable company like Kopykake or Icing Images etc...as they offer warranties that Ebay and the private seller DO NOT!!Be careful not to get "Caught up"in the rush to bid!!

3.Research the different companies and their icing sheets.Not all are the same and the quality varies thus causing unforseen problems and MONEY!! Icing sheets are expensive and not buying the right ones can be a costly mistake..Ask me....and they are not returnable!!

4.Newegg.com has terrific prices off and on for the Canon IP3000 printers Can't pass it up!! Check them out also.

5. Have fun using your new toy and Create!!!

Hope I could help!!! icon_smile.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:

Here is question #2.

USB cable
software
shipping $23.00

Hi Stephanie! You've already gotten a lot of great advice. Pass on this eBay deal. These ready-made kits that include everything can end up costing twice what they should. I don't know why people bid so much. I guess they don't know that they can put together their own system for about $100.

You can buy your printer on eBay though. Look for one that is new and not refurbished. These printers are still eligible for the Canon warranty even if the seller doesn't accept returns.

It's been my experience that the Canon iP1500 prints just as well (edible image wise) as the iP3000. The main difference is that the 3000 cartridges hold much more ink. You can choose which one to use based on the number of images you plan to print. A few a week go with the 1500, a few a day go with the 3000. The 3000 cartridges are also easier to refill something you'll want to do when you start printing a lot.

I use an older model canon printer that is comparable to the iP1500. The quality of the images is great. If I had my choice though, I'd go with the 3000. More ink, less refilling, easier refilling.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 18

Hi cakemaker Debbie! That is a tough choice to make! I have the opaque projector and I love it, but I have also just gotten the IP3000 printer for edible ink (haven't had a chance to use it yet!)

From a time standpoint the printer will obviously be a better choice, but if you really like the idea of your work being done by hand, the the projector will be best (less expensive to operate too!) Also, what do you think your clients will order more often, hand decorated or printer sheets?

Hope that helps a little with your decision. Janice

stephanie214 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 12:05am
post #10 of 18

Thanks everyone for your help.

Question #3 for today

The printer should say ip3000 or what? Also, since it is new, I can just purchase the edible products and use?

I've seen so many canons on e-bay that are new but I don't know which one to use for the edibles.

Just get one that is ip3000 and it will do?

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 1:25am
post #11 of 18
Quote:

Thanks everyone for your help.

Question #3 for today

The printer should say ip3000 or what? Also, since it is new, I can just purchase the edible products and use?

I've seen so many canons on e-bay that are new but I don't know which one to use for the edibles.

Just get one that is ip3000 and it will do?

Yes...if it's new, it's ready. Instead of installing the factory ink (you can sell those on eBay), you'll install the edible ink. The edible ink cartridges will be the same style as the factory ink cartridges.

The full name for the iP3000 is Canon PIXMA iP3000 Photo Printer

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 2:41am
post #12 of 18

Please don't mis-understand my comments above...these are my opinions and observations only from talking to others who own printers.Ultimately it is entirely up to each individual to decide which product will better suit their needs and budget.I was just trying to offer tips to those that may be deciding what models and items to buy.Happy Imaging!!!

stephanie214 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 5:30am
post #13 of 18

Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

I keep saying that you are the best here at CC and you keep proving me right.

thecakemaker Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 12:17pm
post #14 of 18

Thanx veejaytx. I've been trying to figure out how to use my son's projectascope to project down onto a cake. I'll probably go with the printer - if I need to I can always use that to print a template if I'm making something detailed.

Thanx
Debbie

veejaytx Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 18

Hi cakemaker Debbie. By projectascope do you mean a machine by that name? If it is, you more than likely will not be able to use it for decorating a cake. I boutht one of those, and got a pole to attach it to in order to project on a cake, but I could never focus it well enough to use it and finally bought a Kopycakes one. I think the projectascope would do fine to enlarge pictures, but doesn't do too well making them small enough for a cake.

BTW, if anyone has a use for a projectascope let me know, I have one, it is like new, barely used! LOL Janice

thecakemaker Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 3:37pm
post #16 of 18

I had the same problem ~ it won't focus well enough on the cake. It was a gift for my son for his drawing ~ i just figured i'd try it out. Has anyone tried the crayola drawing tables that project down onto the paper? I was thinking about trying that too!

Debbie

veejaytx Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 4:03pm
post #17 of 18

I got one of those Crayola deals for my grandson a few years ago but hadn't thought about using it for a cake. I don't remember exactly what it looks like, but can't quite imagine you could use it to project directly on a cake, but you might be able to make a gel tracing with it. Janice

thecakemaker Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 4:05pm
post #18 of 18

It projects straight down onto a piece of paper ~ they have them on sale right now for $5 something. I might try it for $5 - if it doesn't work for cakes i'll give it to my son! I'll let you know how it works if I get it.

Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%