Ace Of Cakes, Did You Watched??

Decorating By ShabbyChic_Confections Updated 6 Oct 2006 , 4:32pm by prettycake

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:13am
post #1 of 120

Hey, what a cake for Jay Leno, I didn't see that episode I'm so upset because my DH's cousin works for Jay Leno's show and I could go meet him if I knew icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif , I'll see my DH's cousin this sunday for my MIL B-Day and I'll ask him about it.
Do you know what did he use to color the cake, I was surprise he didn't use an airbrush but instead some kind of color mist, I would love to know where to get it, I doubt it was the wilton kind since they don't have silver and the container was bigger, hhhoo I want to find out sooo badly!! icon_redface.gif
May be I'll pm Mary Alice and she would tell us icon_razz.gif .

119 replies
Alacey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alacey Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:21am
post #2 of 120

I tivo'd it so I haven't watched it yet but will let you know if I can see! That's cool that your cousin works for Jay Leno..what a fun job!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:32am
post #3 of 120

I was wondering the same thing about the spray...I would love to find out where to get it!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:43am
post #4 of 120

I can't believe I missed his show AGAIN. I've yet to see it. My Wilton I class is on Thursdays and I forgot to scoot home right after class to catch it. Darn it. It's times like this when I wish I did have TIVO.

Was tonight a pretty good show? I'll have to check the foodnetwork site to see if it will be showing again soon. Anyone who wants to send a reminder next week right before the show - well, that would be awesome for this forgetful old woman.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 120

I thought the show was great!!! I loved the part with the Brownies, he was so good with them icon_smile.gif I did notice a lot more how-to's on this show, maybe he listened to us icon_cool.gif The cake for Leno was pretty awesome too, having Mike help was really cool, great show all around icon_smile.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 120

I LOVED IT! I was laughing so hard! I loved the little girl from the Brownie troop saying "I want to work for Duff" and Duff saying "well if this was the Phillipines you could" icon_smile.gif LOL Hope that's not offending anyone - I think it was just supposed to be a funny comment.........

I LOVED the car cake too - and Duff was so cute about it- he looked surprised and happy when he lit it on stage...... not like it's something he does every day you know? I also thought Mike described him perfectly when he said "he has completely embraced his inner child" (it was something like that - sorry for misquoting).

I just STILL wish the show was longer!!! I WANT MORE!!! icon_smile.gif

Oh hey does anyone know if those crabs in the bucket were made of fondant or of cookies? I thought they'd be great to make out of cookies icon_smile.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 120

Ditto the spray. and i could say was, eh??
I love this show.

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 120

I liked it too. It was funny when he was saying that you had to work with the cake, and if it had a hump you had to pound it down. I cracked up laughing. I do the same thing, moosh, and smoosh until it starts to behave! icon_biggrin.gif

He was so excited for that show, and that was neat. I think he is like a kid, just having a good time in something he enjoys. I like to see anyone have that kind of unbridled enthusiam.

Having Mike come on was great. It shows also that he doesn't think that he is god's gift to cakes, and he needs help too.

I LOVED the brownies. They were adorable and he was really good with them (probably b/c of his younger bro.) Why didn't the other staffers want to be with them? I like being with kids far better than adults....I mean, I need adult time too....but, I like kids a lot. Especially that age.

Anyway....just my 2 cents.....thought that show was cool.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 120

I thought the part with the Brownies was great, especially how he opened all the cake boxes at the end and checked them out...really made the girls feel special. It was funny watching his facial expression at the tonight show.....he was just sooo happy!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 120

my cake decorating store has them....not sure of the brand though, they have silver and gold and they're in bigger cans and they're like 7.99 a piece I think..........I didn't catch the show, but I taped it........I'll have to watch and see if it's the same thing.

Wags123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wags123 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 120

I would love o know about the spray he used. I think it was color mixed w/vodka and a aerosol top. I could only read the last few letters that were on the bottle. ( -ayer or hayer) Does that sound right?

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:54pm
post #12 of 120

Maybe you could contact them and ask.

The lady at the desk, replied on here before, you could look it up, and see their username, and then pm them and ask.

And I loved the motor cake, my husband was up and watched too, he was amazed.

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 120

Good show, but unfortunately, not enough credit and air time is give to the people who do most of the decorating, ie...Geof, the girls, and Mike from Mike's amazing cakes. Why wasn't Mike on the Leno show with Duff? I think credit should be given where credit is due...just my 2 cents.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:14pm
post #14 of 120

I think Mike came down to help Duff as a personal favor.
Duff mentioned that Mike is his mentor. But Duff was the person who Jay invited on the show, not Mike.
I think this is the show that gave credit where credit was due--Not only to Mike, but the special effects person at the Leno show, and Duffs closest assistant helping him in the room.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!

thumbs_up.gif

mkerton Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:16pm
post #15 of 120

I thought Duff spoke very highly of Mike during his show, and Mike obviously likes Duff....and I havent seen the actual Leno show maybe he did give credit??? Has Anyone see that Leno show?

tatetart Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:18pm
post #16 of 120

Does anyone know what that little tool was that they used to make the corn on the cob impressions?

mkerton Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:19pm
post #17 of 120

I have no idea but it was soooo real looking!

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:24pm
post #18 of 120

the show was great last night. i really liked how he did the roses for the brownies. i've never seen it done like that before. is that something new to you gals or not? i definately want to try it sometime, looks so simple.

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:34pm
post #19 of 120

LOVE everything about the show. Especially loved hearing Duff say last night, "I don't cut cakes." Ha! A man after my own heart.

I love to make them and present them, just don't want to cut them. That's someone else's job.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:49pm
post #20 of 120

that was funny but he did it again when he presented the cake to habitat for humanity. i thought that was so nice of him also because he had so much going on and he still made some time to make a cake and even take it over to them.

throwemndapan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
throwemndapan Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:56pm
post #21 of 120

how were the roses completed? that was interesting!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 2:59pm
post #22 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturiere

Does anyone know what that little tool was that they used to make the corn on the cob impressions?

This is one of the parts from Wilton's ribbon cutter set...

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:00pm
post #23 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie2881

that was funny but he did it again when he presented the cake to habitat for humanity. i thought that was so nice of him also because he had so much going on and he still made some time to make a cake and even take it over to them.

I noticed that too. I like the show...I watch it every week....but the "habitat" cake was not so nice looking....

tatetart Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:03pm
post #24 of 120

Considering the limited time he had to put that cake together, I thought it turned out pretty nice! thumbs_up.gif

ediecooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ediecooks Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:35pm
post #25 of 120

the habitat cake seemed to be just buttercream with piped designs, not fondant.

overall the cakes they make do LOOK amazing but EVERYTHING seems to come from a bucket pre-made or a mix!

that crab bushel cake was cool as hell though! that's the kind of cake i like, where everything really IS cake, not half is wood or MDF or PVC pipe. to me, that's where the artistry in decorating is.

mkerton Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:43pm
post #26 of 120

yeah i wasnt impressed with the habitat cake, but since he was on a time crunch I am sure he just was hurrying..

yeah i thought the crab cake (hahaha) was really cool....

pbertone1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbertone1005 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:45pm
post #27 of 120

I agree with you. When he makes cakes and half is done with wood or whatever, i'm not impressed. The crab bushel was good.

tatetart Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:46pm
post #28 of 120

Thanks adven68 for the tool info.

I thought the tool looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place it.

icon_biggrin.gif

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:56pm
post #29 of 120

I watched and recorded ace of cakes last night, and I LOVED it. Who cares if they use pre-mixed stuff (who doesn't?!). I loved watching their techniques. I couldn't believe how realistic that corn shaped cake looked...I'm at a loss of knowing whether I should call it cake on the cob, corny cake, etc., it was wow...so real looking. Oh and the fireworks at the end...talk about WOW!!!!!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 4:02pm
post #30 of 120

Ok..maybe it is because IHATEFONDANT but....I love fillings in cakes. I think it adds so much character to them.

It just seems with carved cakes that they are merely glued together with some BC, so they can handle the weight of the fondant.

The cakes are nice eye candy but I just don't think I would be happy with the taste of one.

I was watching that gal carve the basket and it was 99% cake with a minute bit of BC holding the layers together.

Is it me? I just think that if I were a guest I would be disappointed in eating the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%