Almond Bark Vs Candy Melts Vs Other Dipping Chocolate

Sugar Work By camcat Updated 26 Jan 2015 , 6:42pm by Donnawb

camcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camcat Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 17

A few years ago, I found blocks of Ghirardelli dipping chocolate at Sam's and Wal Mart. It was the first dipping chocolate I ever used and was scrumptious! I can't find it anymore and I haven't dipped anything lately (until today) because the choices just don't seem very appealing.

Almond Bark seems like a pseudo-chocolate product and candy melts pretty much the same. Maybe it's because they say chocolate flavored, instead of chocolate??? I don't think I'm a chocolate snob...I get my fix any way I can icon_lol.gif I was at a craft store last week and they were sampling the candy melts and molds. They were pretty tasty, just not Ghirardelli good.

So, what is your preference? I live in small town America so my options really are the Almond Bark, Wilton Candy Melts or that other brand that comes in all the cool colors, and chocolate chips from the grocery store.

With all that said, I just made a batch of Nutter Butter Truffles covered in chocolate almond bark and they are pretty tasty. icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 17

The almond bark and candy melts usually have added things, including wax, so that tempering isn't required. Most of them taste OK, especially if the product is wrapped around something else really good.

Real chocolate, tastes better, but most of it requires tempering to prevent bloom (those white streaks on the outside). Bloom doesn't hurt anything, but the appearance isn't nice.

You can order most brands online, but many companies won't ship during the summer months.

I have used all the various kinds for different recipes. The only time I am really picky is for truffles. I only use the best chocolate I can get.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 17

If you have half a chance, order Merckens online. It is not Ghiradelli (sp) but it is very good. If I had a choice, I would choose the candy melts over the bark. The bark is okay to send into kids at school, but for anybody that loves chocolate, it just doesn't cut it. My sister and I have ordered as much as 100 pounds of Merckens at a time. We usually only order in Sept/Oct/Nov so it can be shipped without a problem.

camcat Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:44am
post #4 of 17

Thanks for your insight. I haven't checked into ordering online, assuming the cost would be prohibitive. I did check out the Ghirardelli site and the dipping chocolate is still available but not given as an option when trying to locate a store that sells it.

I found a recipe for some fantastic homemade marshmallows and wanted to dip them in chocolate for Christmas baskets. I'll keep playing and see what I can come up with. icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:14am
post #5 of 17

I don't care much for almond bark, the melts aren't real chocolate but they taste much better than the bark.
I have mixed chocolate chips with melts or bark to make it easier to handle but not so hard to deal with as far as tempering for dipping.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:24am
post #6 of 17

I had 1 box left of the dipping choc. from Sams until my brothers wedding this last saturday icon_cry.gif they don't have it any more and it worked great, hopeing they'll get it back in stock soon for the holidays!

camcat Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:04am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I had 1 box left of the dipping choc. from Sams until my brothers wedding this last saturday icon_cry.gif they don't have it any more and it worked great, hopeing they'll get it back in stock soon for the holidays!

Keep looking.......I emailed Ghirardelli for a source and this was the reply I got:

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Ghirardelli Chocolate. We appreciate hearing that you enjoyed using our Double Chocolate and White Chocolate Flavor Candy Making and Dipping Bars. The Candy Making Bars are only manufactured one time per year. The whole batch is then sent to the main warehouse for Sam's Club and sold during the Fall baking season. At this time, Sam's club is the only retailer that sells the bars. Look for them at you local Sam's Club.

I might just have to break down and get a Sam's membership or just pay the upcharge for non-members. I actually found the chocolate at my Super WalMart after I had purchased it at Sam's but I haven't seen it since (maybe 4 years ago). I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really want to dip some homemade marshmallows. icon_smile.gif

ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:10am
post #8 of 17

I was at Sams not too long ago and *think* I saw the dipping chocolate. I remember seeing Ghardi-howeveryouspellit!! chocolate there, but don't remember if it was for dipping or not...you might give them a call.

camcat Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:22am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME2

I was at Sams not too long ago and *think* I saw the dipping chocolate. I remember seeing Ghardi-howeveryouspellit!! chocolate there, but don't remember if it was for dipping or not...you might give them a call.

Thanks--I'll call tomorrow. I went online to check the inventory of my nearest store, but it wasn't listed yet. If I call, at least they will know someone is interested and will hopefully stock it.

Your signature always reminds me of my best friend. Her name is Susan and both her SIL are named Susan. Her married name is the same as her husband's sister's maiden name and her brother's wife now has her maiden name. Wow...that made no sense whatsoever. I'll try again with a psuedonym. She used to be Susan A. Her husband's sister was Susan B. When Susan A. got married, she became Susan B. Her brother's new wife (who used to be Susan C.) is now Susan A. Oh well, for some reason, I think it's neat. icon_rolleyes.gif

ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:41am
post #10 of 17

LOL!!! Reminds me of "Who's On First?"

LOL!

anoccasionalchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoccasionalchocolate Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 17

Try Guittards dipping chocolate. They don't add 'wax'. See's Candies uses it and so does Shari's Berries.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 17

Giardelli has choc. chips in the grocery store.........most stores carry them!! They taste just as good I think as the dipping chocolate! I love Ghiardelli!!!!! yummy

Sumer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumer Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 17

Sam's Club does carry the ghirahelli, but it is a seasonal item. I was there yesterday and looked around in the baking aisle for the seasonal items (they usually have some unique things) and found the white and dark chocolate dipping kind. They are in large blocks, and the clerk showed me on the sign that it is a seasonal item and they get it for holiday baking....

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 11:40pm
post #14 of 17

I use Merckens when I can get it, but now AC Moore carries a brand of Make N Mold. It is just like Merckens & I use hundreds of pounds each year.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 5:41pm
post #15 of 17

looks like I'll be heading to Sam's soon and buying a bunch of dipping chocolate. I like the taste of the Gharidelli choc. chips but they don't run as smoothly over the candy as their dipping choc. I can't find another brand I'm as satisfied with in stores around here. I love the Gharidelli brand!

chocolate1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate1 Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 17

AGhirardelli now makes a packaged melting dark chocolate wafer..great taste! If I want a darker looking chocolate I add Hershey special dark cocoa powder to the melted chocolate and it also has a more intense flavor..make truffles and have gotten rave reviews..

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 17

I use Guittard candy melts, and I think it tastes very good.  It melts the best for me.  You can get it in the bulk foods section at WinCo if you have a WinCo in your area.  My second choice is Make and Mold.  I buy that at Hobby Lobby.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%