Unsalted Butter Or Salted Butter???????

Baking By asul Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 4:48pm by i_heart_pastry

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone !!! I have a recipe that is asking for unsalted butter , but I only have salted butter . Can I use that instead or can I substitute margarine? It's for a yellow butter cake.
Thanks so much in advance icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 9

you can certainly use the salted butter, just omit the salt the recipe calls for. Salt tends to lessen the sweet taste in cakes and icing.

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 9

I always used the "Salted". Makes it less sweet.

Sherry

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 9

ive always heard that you use unsalted for baking. Ii dont and i havent been able to taste the difference i dont omit the salt if a recipe calls for some

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 9

When I have to use salted butter in place of unsalted, I just reduce the salt in the recipe by about 1/4 tsp. I don't eliminated altogether.

Lazy icon_smile.gif

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 9

thanks so much guys!!! I thought that had to run to the grocery store right now ,and it's almost 100 degrees outside icon_eek.gif You guys are GREAT thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif .

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 9

Salted butter has 1 teaspoon salt per cup, I believe.
It's m u c h cheaper than unsalted.

mocakiss86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakiss86 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 9

I've only found a difference when baking butter or sugar type cookies--salted tends to over brown, everything else I never seem to see a difference.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocakiss86

I've only found a difference when baking butter or sugar type cookies--salted tends to over brown, everything else I never seem to see a difference.

I agree - I use unsalted in cookies and pastry. I tend to use unsalted most of the time, but sometimes I prefer salted in icing to cut the sweetness. In the grocery store I go to, there is no price difference between the salted and unsalted, so I typically buy both to have on hand.

Bec

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%