Help With Pretzel Mold??

Sugar Work By cakesonoccasion Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm by krazykat_14

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 7

OK- I just posted a pic in my photos of some chocolate covered pretzels- they are good looking from the front- but the backs are a disaster!! Anyone use these molds and have a trick to share?? If the pretzel went all the way down in- it would be a sinch to level off like I do the oreo molds- but they don't! Help icon_smile.gif

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 7

I dip the pretzel into plain chocolate before it goes into the mold. That way the back is at least covered. No one really cares much about the back.

pinkdaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkdaisy Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 7

Cakes, first of all, let me say I just checked out your pics and your pretzels (along with the rest of your work) are beautiful! I am about to go on E-bay and try to find the mold you used. The backs of the pretzels are challenging -- I let my chocolate set up for about thirty seconds or so, then very gently position and slowly roll my pretzel rod, so as it's totally covered. Then just gently let it rest in the little holder section of the mold. It will seem like the tip of the pretzel is sitting up a tiny bit higher. Unbelievably, it doesn't need to be set very far into the chocolate to get a very secure and straight attachment.

I let it set up on the counter for an additional minute or so before I move it to the frig for its final hardening, just so the pretzel doesn't shift in transit. This pic is a little dark, but these are some party favors I did. They're all made using the Wilton daisy mold, then I did a few simply dipped in white chocolate, then sprinkles.
LL

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 7

How do you get your edges so neat?

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 7

Hi all, I am new to this site and have just started experimenting with molds. I too have the same problem with the pretzel molds and getting the backs to come out smooth. Cakes, how do I get to see the photos of your pretzels? Again I am new here and not too computer savvy so if you can help me out I'd appreciate it. I'd really like to see if we're having similar problems. Thanks, Jackie.

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 7

I just bought those same molds you used Cakes. I love them too but it took me a few trys to get them just right. here's what I learned

1 - fill the bottom design and use a tooth pick to spread out the candy to fill in exactly where you want it - I only use 2-3 slots at a time

2 - let set a minute for that to harden slightly

3 - then (2nd color) with candy that is not too hot (if it is too hot it melts that first layer and runs together) fill about 3/4 full - tap on counter gently to settle it in

4 - add pretzel rolling slowly to cover

5 - fill in the sides of the pretzels to get candy to top of mold - tap gently to settle it in

6 - refridgerate until set (about 10-15 minutes)

I have also found that if you only do a couple at a time the mold is easier to work with. I do 2-3 in one mold and put in the fridge while I am getting the other mold ready. Then let them both set a minute and the first one is ready for round 2. It does take a bit longer but in the long run it is easier than trying to do all 6 or so spots at once. thumbs_up.gif

HTH

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 7

To ESQ1031: to see cakesonoccasion's pictures, go up to her message and at the bottom, there's a little square that says Photos. Click that to see her pictures. Scroll down, they're in the seventh row from the top. At least on my computer they are.

And by the way, WELCOME! You're going to have a great time here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%