She Wants A What???!! Oh My Good Gracious!

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 1:02am by MissSherry

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 47

I have a customer that has requested an "Infinity" cake shaped Wedding cake in all Chocolate! Oh! And she wants it to be only one tier and large enough to feed over 100 people. Ummmmmm.... So what do you think she wants this thing to look like? In my mind all I can see is one giant chocolate t*&d (rhymes with nerd) icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif What am I supposed to do? Just put 2 huge cakes side by side to look like the figure "8"?
I'm hoping I am wrong about this. Any ideas that y'all can give me to offer to her to try to make this into a beautiful Wedding Cake would be GRATELY appreciated!!!

Thank you,
Lazy_Susan

46 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

In my mind all I can see is one giant chocolate t*&d (rhymes with nerd)

icon_lol.gif OMGosh! Well, first thing is I'd get a pic from her of the design she's expecting then I'd sketch it up as a one tier, gigantic monster size cake she wants. To avoid the "nerd"(icon_wink.gif) look you might consider some delicate scroll type work on the sides/top, etc.

With back to school coming up I bought a handy dandy set of colored pencils to sketch my cakies and it makes such a difference to be able to see the colors beforehand. Maybe something like this will show her she doesn't want a giant "nerd" on her wedding day! icon_lol.gif

I'd also cover it with ganache. To me it would look prettier covered that way.

Lazy_Susan Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

With back to school coming up I bought a handy dandy set of colored pencils to sketch my cakies and it makes such a difference to be able to see the colors beforehand. Maybe something like this will show her she doesn't want a giant "nerd" on her wedding day! icon_lol.gif

I'd also cover it with ganache. To me it would look prettier covered that way.

Thank you! Those are some great ideas! I'm gonna have to go get some of those colored pencils icon_smile.gif If I cover it in ganache, you don't think it would look like a big shiny ummmmm "nerd" icon_wink.gif do you? Or are you suggesting after covering it in ganache to put colored scrolls on it?

dodibug Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 47

Let me see if I can find a cake I did last year for my sil's shower. It's ganache with scrolls. They are the same color but some ivory scrolls would look pretty.

brb! looking for pic!

dodibug Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 47

Ok, here it is. Not a great pic or great scroll work but at least it might give you some ideas. I have to agree with you that it's not really what I would want for a wedding cake but I'm sure it all has some special significance to her. icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

If I cover it in ganache, you don't think it would look like a big shiny ummmmm "nerd"

I was thinking a regular choc bc would look more "nerd"-like! icon_lol.gif
LL

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 47

Oh gee, i guess i'm really out of touch. I thought she wanted a CAR icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Oh gee, i guess i'm really out of touch. I thought she wanted a CAR icon_smile.gif

...so did I icon_razz.gif

dodibug Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 47
Quote:

icon_lol.gif Here it is:
LL

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 47

Maybe you could design her something that would incorporate the Infinity sign into the cake...

Me and my husband's wedding cake (we're remarrying) is a toss up of two designs right now, one of which is a 4/5 tier w/white icing, and using a lavendar color to accent it with the infinity sign all over instead of scroll work.... Maybe something similar would work for her... Otherwise there isn't going to be enough cake for people unless you make a humongous cake lol...

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:29pm
post #10 of 47

What about trying to talk her into having a traditional tierd cake with a gumpaste infinity symbol as her topper?? I would think the single layer symbol isn't going to be as WOW as she is envisioning.. very flat..

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 47

What about using 2 larger oval shape cakes end to end to make the infinity shape and then smaller ovals on top of that for a stacked second tier. It would look more like a wedding cake and would serve more people.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 47

OR what about a traditional cake covered with piped infinity symbols? That would actually look beautiful!

OR what about an infinity cake covered in piped infinities?

If you pull this off, it could actually be very cool!

-Michelle

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:43pm
post #13 of 47

First to make a cake like that to feed that many people may be hard to do, it will be huge.

Maybe a 2 tier with a normal cake as the first layer and then the infin. as layer 2. It may look a little better with some height. And give you more room for a pretty design on the sides.

Lazy_Susan Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 47

Thank you everyone for all these fabulous ideas! I'm meeting with her next saturday. I'll run these past her. Please keep the ideas coming! I'm starting to feel better about the whole thing icon_smile.gif

dodibug Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:22pm
post #15 of 47

Glad you guys thought about the size issue! And I completely agree with jkalman-not much of a wow factor when people have to stand over it to see what it is rather than stand back and be wowed by it! That might be an excellent point to bring to her. People aren't going to be able to tell what it is unless they are on top of it....and do you really want people on top of your wedding cake? Not me! icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 47

Oh man! I've really got to talk this Bride into some WOW factor. All y'all are right. It is definitely going to need more than what she is asking for.

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:28pm
post #17 of 47

How about using a smaller version as a groom's cake and incorporating the design on a tiered wedding cake so they match? You can say it is more traditional to have a chocolate groom's cake.
Diane

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 47

What about a 3-D infinity symbol on the cake? Or the symbol as a topper? It is not exactly a figure 8 but slightly more elongated than that. What about some of the celtic designs of the infinity symbol? That would be beautiful on a wedding cake. I totally agree with everyone - avoid the nerd look!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by feverfixer

How about using a smaller version as a groom's cake and incorporating the design on a tiered wedding cake so they match? You can say it is more traditional to have a chocolate groom's cake.
Diane

I like that idea!

I also like the idea of the infinity as a topper..you could make a tiered cake look very elegant with something like that!

Good luck!

Susieindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susieindy Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:38pm
post #20 of 47

Ok, I am really out of touch here. I also thought infinity was a car. How does a figure 8 stand for infinity? Is it simply because it has no end? If that is all it is, then boy do I feel like a dummy icon_sad.gif

Lazy_Susan Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:10pm
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susieindy

Is it simply because it has no end? icon_sad.gif

Yeah I think that pretty much sums it up! icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:11pm
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsw

What about some of the celtic designs of the infinity symbol?

I really like this idea. Perhaps I could do a regular looking tiered cake with gold "Trinity" symbols on it?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:32pm
post #23 of 47

It's going to be hard. You have to think 3D. The infinity symbol isn't two ovals put together. Technically, at the "joint", one piece crosses over the other. There would need to be some bridge work in the center. Unfortunately, i don't know HOW to do it; I'm just pointing out the the infinity symbol isn't flat.

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:05pm
post #24 of 47

Its almost like a skinny rope of sorts. Oh how about using fondant to make a 3-D infinity? I have seen bracelets with prayers on them continuous inside and out that is similar but I would think more difficult. Do keep us posted on what you decide and definately pictures icon_smile.gif

mvhatteras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvhatteras Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 10:05pm
post #25 of 47
Quote:

When I first read the post I thought of the infinity swimming pools! She wants a cake that looks like it has no edge and goes on forever?

Crazy! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Lazy_Susan Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 9:39am
post #26 of 47
Quote:

Well now! We know which members are wealthy! LOL

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 10:22am
post #27 of 47

Here are just a few photos I found that will show in more detail the depth of the infinity symbol.

I hope this helps!

Holly
LL
LL
LL

Lazy_Susan Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 10:49am
post #28 of 47

That helps a lot! Thanks. I really like the second one. I'd like to figure out how to make a cake using that one. And then talk her in to it.

Thanks

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 10:52am
post #29 of 47

I think someone else has been watching too much Ace of Cakes and/or cake challenges because that is a RIDICULOUS request!

I'm curious which infinity symbol she wants, the Mathematical one that looks like a number eight on it's side or the Celtic infinity symbols? What a weird request!

Melissa

Lazy_Susan Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 11:13am
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

I think someone else has been watching too much Ace of Cakes and/or cake challenges because that is a RIDICULOUS request!

I'm curious which infinity symbol she wants, the Mathematical one that looks like a number eight on it's side or the Celtic infinity symbols? What a weird request!

Melissa

I'm with you girlfriend! That is a weird request LOL I can't wait to meet with her and see what is really on her mind. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Ummmmm, I just remembered that I forgot when she wanted to meet. Aww geez! Well it doesn't matter. She has to call for directions. Whew! I'm safe icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%