Help Imbc Experts!

Decorating By jamiesue Updated 21 Jul 2007 , 11:10pm by jamiesue

jamiesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiesue Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 8

I read Antonia and Shirley's tips on smoothing IMBC in another thread. I bought the paint scraper and gave it a go last night. The tip on smoothing being about removing excess icing is great.

So, I kept smoothing that icing right off the cake, LOL. I get obsessed with getting a smooth cake. Once I was somewhat happy with the sides and started on the top, I would mess the sides up again. DH said he thought he would wake up in the morning and find me still in the kitchen smoothing away, LOL. I finally gave up, got it as smooth as I could and went to bed.

Any more suggestions for next time? This cake is going to be as is, hopefully the scroll work will cover some of the flaws. I can't use Shirley's tip on the flame thing since my oven is electric.

7 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 8

You can use an electric burner as well, it is just heating the blade till warm, not steel melting hot. I get the sides and edges as smooth as possible and then pull icing in towards the center of the cake. I spend a lot of time fussing with the top of the cake when in most instances it is covered anyway, either flowers, baby shoes, etc.

jamiesue Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Shirley,
I may get brave enough to try it on this cake. I have used a spatula dipped in hot water before, but I get the problem with the color messing up. How do you avoid this? Is it just that your spatula is barely warm?

Thanks again, I have used so much of your advice on here and keep reminding myself that you have been doing this for years so I shouldn't expect to come close to the quality of your cakes!

ShirleyW Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 8

Are you wiping the spatula dry? Getting any water on colored buttercream will change the color and make it look splotchy. I have to be honest and say that I have not colored any IMBC in dark or bright colors for icing a cake so I am not sure how it would effect the color using the warm scraper.

ShirleyW Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesue

Thanks Shirley,
I may get brave enough to try it on this cake. I have used a spatula dipped in hot water before, but I get the problem with the color messing up. How do you avoid this? Is it just that your spatula is barely warm?

Thanks again, I have used so much of your advice on here and keep reminding myself that you have been doing this for years so I shouldn't expect to come close to the quality of your cakes!

Your welcome for any help I may have offered, but it doesn't take everyone years to get their cakes exactly as they want them to look. I think it takes having a love for what you are doing, patience, a lot of practice and I suppose some basic artistic talent. And it did take me years to be able to create a design on my own. I could copy just about anything I saw, but I always drew a blank on my own ideas. I don't know when exactly that changed but suddenly everything I looked at became an idea for a cake.

jamiesue Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 8

Yes I do get the spatula dry. The cake I am working on is chocolate. Last night when I tried the hot spatula it ended up darker in places. I was reading one of your other posts about this and I think maybe since you put it right back in the freezer, it doesn't have a chance to effect the color.

And yes, I would have to say I don't get much practice. My kids come before cakes right now (something about a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old hovering over my cakes makes me nervous!) and I have been battling a severely herniated disc. I had been doing ok for a couple of months so I agreed to do this cake. Of course last weekend I could barely walk!! So probably no more cakes for a while.

As far as artistic talent, I don't feel that I have any, but I do enjoy doing cakes and I don't charge, I just do it for fun. icon_biggrin.gif

ShirleyW Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesue

Yes I do get the spatula dry. The cake I am working on is chocolate. Last night when I tried the hot spatula it ended up darker in places. I was reading one of your other posts about this and I think maybe since you put it right back in the freezer, it doesn't have a chance to effect the color.

As far as artistic talent, I don't feel that I have any, but I do enjoy doing cakes and I don't charge, I just do it for fun. icon_biggrin.gif

I don't do chocolate buttercream, I use Sarah Bernhardt chocolate glaze so can't help you there.
I just looked at your photos and I do see talent there, look at that adorable baby shower cake with the little dress and booties, very sweet.

jamiesue Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much. I was able to get it pretty smooth using a scraper, then dropped the top tier in the floor icon_eek.gif . I think this cake will be going in the cake disaster file, but it all came together in time for the shower.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%