My Mom Didn't Like The Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By alicegop Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 7:54pm by Luxe42

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:25am
post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin

LOL I went back and checked twice, nary a moose or lion popped up. I even squinted my eyes. Maybe your mother needs her eyes checked.

You really did a great job. Such a human thing to do, focus on the one bad review and forget about the 30 good ones.

I have to agree. I actually didn't think you had put the picture in that you were talking about. I went back 3 times to check that maybe I had missed the lions and the moose but I couldn't see them at all. I saw the cutest babies that looked like the invitation.

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:28am
post #32 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Mom's don't allways know best.

Hey I DO!!!! LOL

LOL Until my kids leave home and have their own homes, Mum certainly knows best here too hehehehe

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:28am
post #33 of 84

I think your cake is adorable. I just sent my mom a picture of a cake that she cannot possibly say anything negative about...I named it after her. icon_biggrin.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:44am
post #34 of 84

Ok, maybe if I squint.. really really hard.. I can see the lion's mane behind the baby's head... um.. no, sorry.. that didn't work either..

I don't see it.. at first I thought, yeah I can see that, but the more I looked at it, I was like.. you know, I really can't see it.. I try to see it, but there just isn't a lion there.. I wouldn't even begin to know where to try to find a moose. Could you ask her to point it out? I'm quite curious to know how she came to this conclusion.

On a serious note, though.. the cake and cupcakes are just beautiful, and you did a fabulous job. You should be very proud, as I'm sure the mother to be will be.

Take care, and be happy....

Holly

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:45am
post #35 of 84

I have to say if the Mom sees a lion and a moose that's what she must of saw with her invitations, because you did an excellent job in reproducing what she gave you!!!! Great work. icon_biggrin.gif

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:51am
post #36 of 84

She's nuts!!!!! You should be very proud , that cake and cupcakes are amazing. They match perfectly. Moose and Lion????? I am so confused.

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:55am
post #37 of 84

Now, I'm very fond of lions and mooses (meeses? mouses? whatever) and I'm afraid your cake has failed there - Can't see a single one! Only cute little baby faces all over the place!
I have a baby shower coming up ... PLEASE may I copy your design? It is truly adorable! (Actually that's a serious question - would you mind?)

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:05pm
post #38 of 84

Well, in this case, moms don't know best. As for getting approval on this project, you've received a lot of approval--from people who are decorators and are very critical of cake decorating and we approve! Great job!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:11pm
post #39 of 84

I see no lion nor a mouse but then again maybe the lion ate the mouse and went to take a nap with his full belly between mom's eyes and ours?? lol it's a thought lmfao

Is this the same Mom (and sister) that bitched and ranted for you to do their ideas a few days ago??? Stuff that really wouldn't look right lol.....

Well I think they are GORGEOUS! (sp) and I think they are the cutest things I've ever seen!!!! and I've added it to my favorites and I think I may even recreate it in some way one day lol.

I just don't get it my mom is the same way she puts down every single thing I do, especially the cakes... and then tells me I'm DRASTICALLY over priced when in fact I'm UNDER priced compaired to other bakeries around here and half of them don't offer what I do anyway lol.....

Anyway my husband's words of wisdom "DON'T LISTEN TO HER SHE'S A JEALOUS WOMAN WHO IS NEVER GOING TO BE HAPPY IN ANYTHING YOU DO UNLESS YOU FAIL AT SOMETHING AND THEN SHE'LL ONLY BE HAPPY BECAUSE SHE CAN SAY I TOLD YOU SO" lmao... insert mad anger words where needed lol. He hates the way my mother treats me and she's beginning to treat my daughter the same way.

Anyway long enough lol keep your head up and remember... you are better then that icon_wink.gif

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:20pm
post #40 of 84

Honestly, I think a lot of people seek the praise and acceptance of their parents deep down. Even if you know your cake is good, it still hurts.

You did a great job and hold your head up.

darkchocolate

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:53pm
post #41 of 84

I think your cake and cupcakes are wonderful... very mod and chic! Maybe that is your mom's issue... she would rather see the traditional stuff. The amount of save to favorites that you have should tell you she's in error and that you have done an awesome job!!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #42 of 84

I think the cake/cuppie cakes (as my ds calls them!) are just darling!! Tell your mom I'm saving it to my computer! icon_lol.gif

Maybe she's like my Nanny. She used to decorate cakes in the 70's and 80's and anything that's not decorated like that she just doesn't "get"! icon_lol.gif You did say she's got the "fashion" thing going to so maybe that's it! icon_lol.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:05pm
post #43 of 84

cake it is cute, fantastic, excellent example of very precise detailed work.

YDG! RG!

----

re: mom -- she needs:

a) attitude adjustment

b) eyes fixed.

-----

we all yearn for a parent's, esp. a mom's approval --

BUT ---

sometimes that parent is so dysfunctional it is better to move on and ignore them --

which is obviously the case here.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:37pm
post #44 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

cake it is cute, fantastic, excellent example of very precise detailed work.

YDG! RG!

----

re: mom -- she needs:

a) attitude adjustment

b) eyes fixed.

-----

we all yearn for a parent's, esp. a mom's approval --

BUT ---

sometimes that parent is so dysfunctional it is better to move on and ignore them --

which is obviously the case here.

wooo harsh there Doug!
She is obviously just stating "her opinion" and like the saying goes "opinions are like *ssholes, we all got one!" thumbs_up.gif

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:12pm
post #45 of 84

My dad knows how to burst a balloon. I did my first flower at christmas last year - I had only been going to classes for a couple of months and I was so chuffed at the outcome. When he saw it he said "Oh you hef done better zan zat before..." (He is European) and my balloon just fizzled. Although I didn't pay too much attention to his opinion 'coz his opinion doesn't really matter to me, but just an example of Dad's behaving badly....

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:18pm
post #46 of 84

Don't take it personally. My mother tends to try to "help" me by giving me constructive criticism. The last time she did that she told me my cake was "dry" when everyone else that tasted it thought it was delicious. LOL

mindy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy74 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #47 of 84

I have the opposite issue...my mom would probably rather have her arms chopped off than say something negative. So I never know how she really feels. She'll say "well, I can see the problems you are talking about but it looks great to me!" I'm like "It's terrible, Mom, just admit it!"

of course I'd rather have a mom like mine than one who was overly critical. And I love the brown cake and cupcakes. It's very different and unique.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #48 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

My mother used to say the meanest, least tactful things of anyone I have ever met. She called it "being honest." She could sure dish it out, but she would not tolerate the very least criticism of herself by anyone. I don't know what it is with some people...I guess it's insecurity.

"I'm just being honest" is the baloney line used by rude people to somehow justify their rudeness!!! icon_mad.gif If we were just as "honest", we'd tell that person they were full of sh**!

My mom (who many of you know I haven't really seen in 15 years with no regrets!!!) was the type who didn't like anyone to be perceived as "better than" her. The way she accomplished that was to criticize everyone and everthing they did. In her mind, that made them "not better" than her and she could walk around feeling superior over everyone. It was a mind game that I walked away from.

I think your mom has a superiority complex.

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:20pm
post #49 of 84

Does your mom know what a lion and moose look like???

Don't let her comments bother you. Your cake is beautiful! You should be proud!

ssnc79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssnc79 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:22pm
post #50 of 84

Does your mom wear glasses? Was she wearing them while looking at the cake???? I am sorry but I think that cake is AWESOME and very well done. Does your mom know what a moose or lion looks like????

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:25pm
post #51 of 84

What? That cake is sooooooooo adorable and so are the cupcakes! If she doesn't like your cake then she doesn't like the invitation because you made a very good interpretation of it.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:26pm
post #52 of 84

We MUST be sisters because I just heard my mom say that load of crap to you!! Same thing she tells me. I quit listening so she must have moved on to you.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:27pm
post #53 of 84

I think your mom needs glasses! I don't see how she made that "diagnosis" out of any of what you made! Perhaps she was just feeling jealous about the good job you did!? Anyway, don't let it bother you...I know, easier said than done...but still...that was just really mean and insensative of her.

And besides, as long as the "mother to be" loved it, what do you care what she thinks!

Hold your head up high and know you did a great job!

thumbs_up.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:29pm
post #54 of 84

I'm all the way with Doug. He was right on with what he said. Some parents are just not there for you and do tear you down at times. Try not to hear her cutting words. I'm sure she loves you but doesn't know how to show it (at times?).
Your cake is so cute and very well done and you should feel very proud of your work.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:31pm
post #55 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

Could it be that your mom was channeling MY MOM????!!!

Sounds exactly like something she would say if she didn't like something. Like it's her DUTY to tell me every single thing she's thinking! I love her, but sheesh....

Anyway, disregard what she said -- she probably was put off by the brown because it's not typical baby shower, but that cake is adorable, and the baby faces (and that lock of hair) are wonderful! The colors all work, and it's beautiful! Feel proud of it! icon_biggrin.gif
S.

I was going to say the same thing, my mom is so exactly the same way. This cake is just as cute as cute can be, and you did such a wonderful job matching the invite. The good news is, this cake isn't for your mom as long as the client is happy who gives a rats patooty what you mom thinks.
Moms icon_rolleyes.gif can't live with them, to big to stick in the blender icon_lol.gif

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:33pm
post #56 of 84

Instead of a Critical Mom forum - could we do a critical family forum? I think I could fill it up just perfectly on my own! I had someone tell me this wonderful thing: When it comes to family "Those who matter don't care, those who care don't matter." So when she puts you down for cake, hose cleaning skills, child care etc etc - just remember that!

You cake is absolutely adorable!

ericablondegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericablondegirl Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:35pm
post #57 of 84

Wow...I love that cake and cupcakes! Amazing. Your mom might not like the modern look, but her comments were uncalled for. How does that old saying go..."you can't choose your family." Just better to let it go and move on...you know you did a great job, and that's what matters most!

sbarri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbarri Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:36pm
post #58 of 84

THEY ARE VERY CUTE!!! I LOVE THE BROWN BACKGROUND! THEY MATCH THE INVITATIONS PERFECT! icon_biggrin.gif

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:43pm
post #59 of 84

well thats just adorable and I love brown and blue,wore it yesterday icon_lol.gif good work!Don't listen to your mother I don't!!!!!!!!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:44pm
post #60 of 84
Quote:
Quote:

Question: In the eyes of ours parents, do we ever really grow up?? LOL

To answer that question - In my eyes and heart I can look at my 36 yr old son and almost 34 yr old twin boy and girl and see than as babies todlers. I raised good good kids, but once they left home my job of molding them was pretty much done. Oh I've still influenced them in the years since buy the example I still set (since they still didn't know everything like they probably thot they did) but once they were grown I had to let them go. I got my hearts desire because they are good people and they love coming home. And they can stay a while but then want to go again. I can wrap my arms around myself when I'm with them because I know I did a good job.

Sometimes my mom seems compelled to make negative statements about people like she can't be nice for a stretch at a time. I've been blessed with a wonderful mother in law for much longer than I lived with my own mother. She is always kind and always positive, with the one exception of my mother. When my mom moved close to me a year ago from CA 37 yrs after I moved away to make my home in Kansas it was terribly hard. My mother has been very harsh to me at times and the stress has had it's affect on me. Until then my mil had never made a negative comment about anyone. I take after the mother who has loved me unconditionally and unendingly for 38 yrs. My mom still makes her comments but I've told her how I feel about them. I just don't put up with it anymore.

My mom chased around all her life trying to get her cold mother's approval. I hope those of you who feel that deep need as adults will find a peace about yourselves so that you can brush off the harsh attitudes and live life to the fullest secure in your worth and God given talents.

I'm done. Sorry to go on so, but I feel this very passionately. It's been the toughest year dealing with having my mom back in my life. She can be fun but her insecurities make her a hard person to be around at times.

Thank you God for blessing me with my wonderful mother in law!! I KNOW how loved I am.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%