My Mom Didn't Like The Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By alicegop Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 7:54pm by Luxe42

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:05am
post #1 of 84

I was feeling really pleased with myself for the cake I modeled after the baby shower invitation. My mom emails me back after I sent her a pic and said the cupcakes looked like lions and the cake looked like a moose and that she didn't like the brown background for the cake.... I think I am too sensitive, I look at the cake and it makes me feel really good, I thought it was one of my best jobs...... so why do I keep obsessing about the mean things my mom said?! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif On the plus side one of my favorite CC'ers whose cakes are totally amazing emailed me to say she wanted to copy my cake, one would think that would over shadow......

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-gallery_display_803203.html

83 replies
mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:12am
post #2 of 84

Well that is just darned rude. I mean really rude. I'm actually not going to post my thoughts about this 'cause I don't want you to feel you have to defend your mama. That cake is just cute as a bug's ear.

Family can be so ****** insensitive sometimes (well, a lot actually). it sounds as if she is trying to make you feel small.... don't let her.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:13am
post #3 of 84

I would have to disregard what you Mom said. I think your cake is wonderful and that's not blowing smoke...

Sometimes people either don't think, or just don't care that comments can hurt more than a physical punch. It sounds like she just wanted to be mean...

I get critiqued on my stuff by my family but it's not meant in a mean fashion. To tell you that the cake looks like anything other than what it does - the invitations - isn't true and I can't understand where that came from.

Keep your chin up high, you did good -
next time throw her some fondant and tell her to make one to show you what she means...

:hugs:
Val

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:15am
post #4 of 84

LOL I went back and checked twice, nary a moose or lion popped up. I even squinted my eyes. Maybe your mother needs her eyes checked.

You really did a great job. Such a human thing to do, focus on the one bad review and forget about the 30 good ones.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:22am
post #5 of 84

I think it is GREAT, you did a wonderful job.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:22am
post #6 of 84

Could it be that your mom was channeling MY MOM????!!!

Sounds exactly like something she would say if she didn't like something. Like it's her DUTY to tell me every single thing she's thinking! I love her, but sheesh....

Anyway, disregard what she said -- she probably was put off by the brown because it's not typical baby shower, but that cake is adorable, and the baby faces (and that lock of hair) are wonderful! The colors all work, and it's beautiful! Feel proud of it! icon_biggrin.gif
S.

SpaceMonque Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpaceMonque Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:24am
post #7 of 84

They are adorable and creative, you did a great job replicating the invite.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:26am
post #8 of 84

Your cake and cupcakes look great!!!!!!!! I can't for the life of me see a moose or a lion. Does mom drink??? (I am only kidding....no offense meant) but seriously your cake is wonderful.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:26am
post #9 of 84

Alicegop your cake is adorable!! I don't know where your mother's coming from with her unkind comments but but it's just not true. Your baby looks as good or better than the invites and I love the colors. You did a great job! Pat yourself on the back and forget your mom's comments. Just let them roll right off your back cause you did GOOD!!

Sometimes my mom just has to make a negative comment. It's hard to ignore, but you just have to or it'll get to ya and hold you back. Don't let her work that one on you girl!!

alicegop Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:27am
post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

S.

That made me laugh! Glad I'm not the only one with a crazy mom. Love her, but she drives me nuts. The funny thing is she is a fashion disaster...totally doesn't realize how out of date she looks. I probably deserve her comments for all the times I smack my head and say "mom mom mom... that does not look good!" But I also know she doesn't know what is in or looks good... so again, why do I care?! I'm THIRTY! I don't need her approval do I icon_lol.gif

melissafletcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissafletcher Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:30am
post #11 of 84

I agree with everyone. You did a great job on the cake and on the cupcakes. they are so cute. I would have loved these for my shower. Keep up the good work and don't worry. Mom's don't allways know best. thumbs_up.gif

Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:32am
post #12 of 84

[quote="sonoma9"]Could it be that your mom was channeling MY MOM????!!!

And then sending it through osmoses to my Mom? Is there a "Critical Mom's" forum on the web?! icon_lol.gif I think my Mom says crap like because she's jealous of whatever she's picking apart. So, she's just jealous of your mad skills!! icon_wink.gif Your cake and cupcakes are absolutely adorable!! I really like the colors.. Great Work!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:33am
post #13 of 84

Mom's don't allways know best.

Hey I DO!!!! LOL

alicegop Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:34am
post #14 of 84

[quote="Trevie"]

Quote:

And then sending it through osmoses to my Mom? Is there a "Critical Mom's" forum on the web?! icon_lol.gif I think my Mom says crap like because she's jealous of whatever she's picking apart. So, she's just jealous of your mad skills!! icon_wink.gif Your cake and cupcakes are absolutely adorable!! I really like the colors.. Great Work!!

Okay, that made me laugh out loud also! What a good idea... "critical mom's forum", that is too funny!

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:46am
post #15 of 84

I think your cake is fantastic and so are the cupcakes. I wouldn't choose brown myself, but it came out surprisingly nice.
To get to your mother: i know the feeling girl. Correct me if i'm wrong or unfair or just generalising, but whenever I'm complaining about my mother being my biggest critic (i'm just never good enough for her) she says but she is my mother and she must mould and shape me and she do this for my own good. I feel: CRAP! people that gives positive input moulds and shape me and motivate to do better next time.

Just for the record, none of what your mom said is true anyway. A lion and a moose? What the hec.

Keep strong girl and I just hope and pray that i will never act like my mom by critisising or belittleling my children because i think it is good for them.

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:52am
post #16 of 84
Quote:
Quote:

I went back and checked twice, nary a moose or lion popped up. I even squinted my eyes. Maybe your mother needs her eyes checked.

icon_lol.gif LOL I thought exactly the same thing!! Where is there a lion or a moose? I see no antlers.... check the bifocals....

Don't take it too hard sweetie....Your cake it too cute and matches the invites perfectly. You SHOULD be pleased with it - and know that as crazy as you mom is, she loves you anyway.....

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:31am
post #17 of 84

I'm guessing this cake wasn't for your mom...so what business is it of hers whether or not it's her style? icon_confused.gif

I think it's awfully cute icon_smile.gif

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:27am
post #18 of 84

Ignore the mother - listen to the CC's - they are right. This cake is just beautiful and I love the babies - everyone can see it's babies - what is she on about? thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:13am
post #19 of 84

I love your cake and cupcakes! The colors are great...I personally really like the brown! And try as I might, I cannot find a moose or a lion anywhere on the page! You do beautiful work!

Your mom is just being a mom...they are always trying to "help" us, but their methods are not always thoughtful or kind. The best thing is to try and just let it go.

My mother used to say the meanest, least tactful things of anyone I have ever met. She called it "being honest." She could sure dish it out, but she would not tolerate the very least criticism of herself by anyone. I don't know what it is with some people...I guess it's insecurity.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:23am
post #20 of 84

Your mom sounds like my dad. icon_razz.gif They THINK they're helping, but they're really not. Gotta love 'em anyhow. And as for needing her approval... I'm almost 37, and I still crave my parents' approval. Might be a security thing, but then again, it might just be a natural desire to make your parents proud of you in the field you've chosen to excel. icon_razz.gif

However, your mom's wrong, or myopic, or something. Those cupcakes and the cake are simply adorable, without a lion or moose to be seen. I tried really hard to find those two things, and couldn't.

You did great! icon_smile.gif

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:29am
post #21 of 84

I cann't believe that your own mother would say something like that! That just kills me!! I think she's just Jealous of your talent.As far as your cake goes I think you had did a Great Job and your cake is absolutely Beautiful!!!! Sometimes we just cann't let other people bother us with their nastyness.

Good Luck,
Stacy

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:40am
post #22 of 84

Please take note of what everyone is saying......your cake is gorgeous. Not sure what's wrong with mum but maybe she's just having an off day!

Be proud, you did really well.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:46am
post #23 of 84

On what planet do you identical baby head cupcakes and cake top look like lions over here and a moose over there? Does your mom get high?! (j/k)

I think the cake is really, really cute!

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:47am
post #24 of 84

For the life of me, I don't see an animal one Was the punch at this shower spiked with something??? I think that your design is an amazing, original work of art! Don't let one person get you down...even if it is your mom.

Perhaps our mom's all got the same handbook when we were born??? LOL...my mom...God love her...she's the sweetest thing on the face of the earth and I love her dearly, icon_lol.gif but when she worked for me on the weekends...Yikes!!! icon_cry.gif LOL. Don't misunderstand, she helped me tremendously and there would have been many deadlines I'd have missed without her help, but.. I would be right in the middle of working on a cake... I'd crumb coat and she'd point out the spots that I "missed." icon_confused.gif I tried telling her that there would be another layer of BC to cover it. LOL. Or I would be working on the actual design, no where near being ready to put the final touch on...for me, that's the border. That's the last thing that I do. Mama would say, "You ARE going to put a little something around the edges, aren't you?" icon_eek.gif Ummm...nope...hadn't thought of that. icon_evil.gif Thanks Mama! LOL.

Just step back...take a deep breath and continue on with your fantastic decorating abilities. God has given you a gift. Keep sharing it with others. thumbs_up.gif

Amy

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:49am
post #25 of 84

Now girls, all mothers are not that critical. My daughter and i live about 250 miles away and we are always e-mailing each other the cakes, and pastries we do. she is my best critic and I am hers, but I would never insult her work. My father was my best critic, but God Bless his soul, he nerver found anything wrong with what I made, my mother on the other hand....................................
I think this cake is absolutely beautiful, you did an excellent job.
What does mom know??? As long as your CC buddy's think it's beautiful, THAT'S ALL IT MATTERS. icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 10:07am
post #26 of 84

Your poor Mom ! How sje could POSSIBLY find an animal in your creation is beyond me ! Those "BABIES" are ADORABLE, and do not look like ANYTHING other than babies !

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 10:24am
post #27 of 84

Was she looking at the right picture? I love that cake! Now, who is having a baby I can make it for. Very cute!

IMHO I think we always look for Mom's approval, no matter how old we are. Even though I have come to realize that my mom's is not right all the time, but then again, neither is mine.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 10:31am
post #28 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicegop

Quote:

S.

That made me laugh! Glad I'm not the only one with a crazy mom. Love her, but she drives me nuts. The funny thing is she is a fashion disaster...totally doesn't realize how out of date she looks. I probably deserve her comments for all the times I smack my head and say "mom mom mom... that does not look good!" But I also know she doesn't know what is in or looks good... so again, why do I care?! I'm THIRTY! I don't need her approval do I icon_lol.gif

I am 32 and I still want my grandmother<mom passed away 15 years ago> to tell me everything I do is awesome and she loves it no matter what! Guess we want that unconditional love and approval we got at 3 when we handed her a bunch of scribbles on paper folded and it was a card! thumbs_up.gif

DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:10am
post #29 of 84

alicegop - Sorry your Mom said that cause it is not true. Maybe one day she will learn to keep her mouth tapedshut.gif when she has something to say that it wrong.

I LOVE your cakes. They are just like the shower invites. FANTASTIC JOB!!! If that cake were for me, I would have so thrilled to know someone did that for me! thumbs_up.gif

So tell me, what did the GUEST OF HONOR think of the cakes?

To the rest of you funny gals, you actually have me laughing out loud! Thanks!

Question: In the eyes of ours parents, do we ever really grow up?? LOL

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:17am
post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyTCL

alicegop - Sorry your Mom said that cause it is not true.

Question: In the eyes of ours parents, do we ever really grow up?? LOL

No mam, we dont!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%