How Do I Present Samples For Tasting

Decorating By ttb Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 6:08am by lonestarstamper

ttb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttb Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 9

I have a tasting this Friday....I will be doing a white, butter and a chocolate 4" cake. I will have chocolate fudge silk, vanilla bean bc, and citris bc fillings. The bride wants a vanilla and a chocolate icing. OK Do I prepare fillings and icings in small pastry bags and let them mix and match or would it be more professional to put icing and filling samples in small containers? This couple is from the ritzy side of town and she has told me she had bad experiences with the 'other cake ladies', one of them actually had them meet her at McDonalds icon_eek.gif. What are your thoughts, pastry bags may be cleaner, but the containers with a couple of dessert spoons or spreading knives would be more classy. ?? Oh I will be meeting the couple at Starbucks, that is why I am asking which.

8 replies
BJsGRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJsGRL Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 9

When I have a tasting, I place the different icings and/or fillings in individual conatiners (the re-usable plastic ones by Glad or Ziploc). I tend to make sure I have plates and plasticware in a color that is either complimentary to the cakes I am presenting or there wedding colors. I have had a couple brides ask to take samples home, so it is easy to just put a lid on the containers and send them on their way. I use the small 4 ounce containers...not too big, so not much waste and not too small to get a good taste!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 9

Could you have small samples of each cake with each of the fillings? I know that is a lot. Or could you torte each cake so that you have 3 layers of filling in each and you can do each layer a different filling?

Your flavors sound really YUMMY but personally, I'd be a little turned off if I had to assemble my own. I wouldn't recommend the pastry bag.

Good luck! Like I said, your flavors sound great.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 9

I would do them in individual containers with a clean knife or spoon for each flavor. Maybe put a handful of knives in a cup beside the containers. It would be nice if you could get some little condiment cups (ramikens) to have each flavor in, I think that would make a nice presentation.

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 9

I have done the same thing before. I recommend that you place the icings in separate containers and bring along those small desert plates (paper of course), a couple of plastic knives and forks and napkins. This has worked best in my experience for the meetings in Starbucks because you look like you've thought of everything (which you have) and the customer is very impressed. That way they can miz and match all they want with what is in front of them.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Vreeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vreeke Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 9

When I have a consultation with a bride, I generally discuss the wedding details and cake designs with them and thn give them cute little boxed cakes (approx 4" sq cake) to take home and try. Nobody likes to eat in front of you and then critique your cake when you are there. I ask their flavor preferences prior to meeting and will make up 2 samples. The 2 boxes of cake are then put in a nice white bag with 2 forks and 2 napkins and I wish them an enjoyable dessert. Everybody seems to do it different, see what works best for you icon_smile.gif
Happy Baking,
Lori V.
Pastries By Vreeke

BJsGRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJsGRL Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 9

For my tastings, I make a couple cakes in flavorcombinations the couple knows they want to try. I also have other cakes flavors, fillings, and icings available for them to mix-and-match. I will make the cakes in cupcake tins and cut them in quarters. So far, everyone has had a blast mixing and matching different flavors to come up with their own "perfect" combination, usually different from what they originally thought they would go with.

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 9

when i do samples i give them 6" cakes , 2 layer cakes, cut in half circles.

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 6:08am
post #9 of 9

I haven't had to do sample tasting yet but I remember one lady I met with when I was planning my wedding gave me a six inch round cake to bring home. It had five or six different cake/frosting samples. That's a lot of work so I'm not recommending that but I was very impressed at the time. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford her prices and my husband didn't want anything too fancy so we didn't go with her. The lady I ended up using was incredibly inexpensive since she worked from her home but I had to actually order (and pay for) an 8" cake. Fortunately the cake was fabulous and her prices were so good I still came out ahead.

Yvette

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%