Smoothing Icing

Decorating By romobabies Updated 13 Sep 2006 , 11:48pm by hamlove

romobabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romobabies Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 5

I tried the MM fondant over the weekend and while I love the presentation, I'm not crazy about chewing my frosting. So my question would be how do I get my frosting to smooth nicely and look the way fondant would? Are there any particular secrets?

4 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 5

So much depends on the type of frosting that you use. The type I use never gets a crust, but stays nice and soft forever. I put the cake in a cold fridge and leave it until the icing gets good and cold. I then can smooth the icing using a finger (WASHED, of course). The result isn't quite as smooth as fondant, but very close.

tootsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsa Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 5

also, if you look in the "articles" section of this site...you can find something titled "faux fondant". also known as the viva paper towel method. that is a pretty good one to try!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 5

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19948-sugarshack.html

Nothing says it better than this post in my opinion by SugarShack icon_smile.gif

hamlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamlove Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 5

I found that using computer paper after your icing has crusted over, take your paper and put it over your cake and use a fondant smoother and go over your cake in circles. All your doing is moving the icing around to fill in areas that need it, to make a smooth looking cake. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%