Need Help Desperatly!!! Aaahhh!!!!!

Decorating By treys_girl04 Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 4:30am by Cakepro

treys_girl04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treys_girl04 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:23am
post #1 of 9

IM FREAKING OUT HERE*okay breath* im working on a wedding cake for saturday, a 14 10, and 6 stacked orange chiffon, snow white buttercream. chunks fell of the bottom of the 14 tier, and the top layer of it broke into three pieces when i tried to put it on! i got it all spackled together with icing, but now im worried that it will collapse under the weight of the two other tiers. its hot and humid here in texas!! so what should i do?? keep it cold and pray it holds together? rebake the layers and try again? and if i rebake, how do i handle the 14 inch ones without breaking them?

thanks in advance,
Rhonda *amature and it shows*

8 replies
Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:31am
post #2 of 9

I've never made a wedding cake, but hang in there!! The only things I can think of is did you use dowels so it will support the other layers? Do you have a BIG cookie sheet, cakeboard or cutting board that you could slide the 14 inch onto and then it will have stability when you are moving it? Sorry I couldn't be more help!! Please let us know how everything turned out...Chin up, positive thoughts...YOU CAN DO THIS icon_biggrin.gif

Edited: Do you have cakeboards or separator plates between each tier? It's stacked right?

treys_girl04 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:40am
post #3 of 9

its a stacked, so no plates. i think its so light and moist its having trouble holding up. if i added some pudding mix and extra eggs would it make it any denser?

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:48am
post #4 of 9

I got a little confused so I had to check again. I was sure that when you stack a cake you had to put some kind of support in it. This is the article here on CC that goes over how to Stack a cake hope it helps.
http://www.cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

Trevie Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:48am
post #5 of 9

I've only stacked one cake, but the bottom was 14" and the next 12 or 10" but you need a cakeboard underneath each so that each layer can support the next. Does that makes sense? So in the 14 you need dowels and the next layer is 12 you need a cakeboard underneath so it can rest on the dowels...Let me know..

Trevie Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:51am
post #6 of 9

oh, and it was a square cake and I didn't have any square cakeboards so I used a smaller round one, and it actually worked better because it didn't come all the out to the edges but still had support..

treys_girl04 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:23am
post #7 of 9

i understand about doweling and such, but im afraid that the dowels combined with the weight of the teirs is going to cause the bottom to collapse. the top layer of the 14 inch broke into several peice, all through the middle and im afraid the dowels are going to split them apart. i went and got more stuff, and im going to add some pudding and eggs to the batter and get up insanely early to rebake. i think thats what im safest with. im also thinking that i might put the layers in the freezer for a bit before i assemble and crumb coat, maybe that will make it a bit sturdier.

ill let you know how it goes!

Trevie Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:36am
post #8 of 9

The bottom layer , the base of your whole cake needs dowels in it to support the rest of the cake, then the dowels not the cake will be supporting the tiers....Good Luck!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:30am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by treys_girl04

IM FREAKING OUT HERE*okay breath* im working on a wedding cake for saturday, a 14 10, and 6 stacked orange chiffon, snow white buttercream. chunks fell of the bottom of the 14 tier, and the top layer of it broke into three pieces when i tried to put it on! i got it all spackled together with icing, but now im worried that it will collapse under the weight of the two other tiers. its hot and humid here in texas!! so what should i do?? keep it cold and pray it holds together? rebake the layers and try again? and if i rebake, how do i handle the 14 inch ones without breaking them?

thanks in advance,
Rhonda *amature and it shows*

Native Houstonian here - where it's always hot and humid. icon_smile.gif Neither the heat nor humidity caused your cake to fall apart. You need a sturdier cake and excellent doweling.

You made the right decision to rebake the cakes. Partially freezing the layers will definitely make them easier to handle. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%