Ribbon Roses?

Decorating By mlynnb Updated 13 Sep 2006 , 12:40pm by mlynnb

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, does anyone have any advice on making ribbon roses? I have a Wilton book and tried to do what it said last night, but the roses ended up looking really tightly wrapped and the ends looked bad from where I cut the fondant ribbon. I've attached a picture to show you all what I want them to look like.... the cake is from from SugarShack and everything she does is amazing, but if I could even get close, that would be great ! thumbs_up.gif Is there maybe a tutorial out there? ( other than Wilton's) Thanks!!
LL

2 replies
BJsGRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJsGRL Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 3

I made my first fondant ribbon roses this past week, and I had the same problem you are having. Mine, however, ended up staying kinda tight, I didn't have a lot of time to play. I would think, though, to help it loosen up a bit you could do the following:

Roll out your fondant, thin, about 4" long, and at least 2" wide. Fold in half, longways. When you start rolling the fondant, pinch the end that has the cut sides of the fondant (opposite the fold) together to keep it tight and let the folded side just wrap around loosely. When finished, trim the pinched end if necessary (I added leaves to mine to cover this end!).

I didn't have time to try it, as the roses were a last-minute add-on to take the place of a bow-that-didn't-happen, but it is what I would try next time.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 3

Wow, thanks BJsGRL! What a great idea to fold one side over! How come I can never think of these things on my own? icon_redface.gif That's why I love this site! I'll try again this afternoon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%