Do Your Hands Shake?

Decorating By Brandonsmommy Updated 22 Jul 2007 , 2:17pm by Brandonsmommy

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 17

I am just making this cake for fun. No one asked me to so WHY are my hands shaking when I do it? icon_confused.gif

The icing is soft so it 's not like I am squeezing hard for a long time, Am I that wigged out when I do cakes?

hummmm I don't know but I guess I'll have to live w/ it. Imagine how I would be if this were a REAL cake for someone hahaha icon_eek.gif

16 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 17

it's why I prefer fondant to BC

---

and have you noticed all those lovely cakes from the UK that are all fondant, right down to the cut out letters???

that's a sure cure for shaky hands!

Brandonsmommy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 17

fondant scares me !! icon_surprised.gif

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 17

my hands shake also - so much so I hate to write anything and my scrolls even with a press are awful - if there is a solution to this, I am in the front row wanting to learn!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 17

I can't drink coffee before I do a cake. I'm not a big coffee drinker and don't get alot of caffine any more so a cup of coffee gives me the shakes. Plus sometimes I forget to eat or don't stop to eat when doing a cake and that makes me shaky too.

Something you can do to help is place a finger from the other hand against the bag, usually around the coupler. This usually helps me. icon_smile.gif

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 17

I have always had a hand tremmor- since I was really small. I have found that when I have to do something meticulous (such as piping or painting) I usually have to use both hands- I brace my right hand (around the wrist and backside of my palm) with my left to steady it. It still doesn't come out as good as most of you guys but it's better than doing it with one hand. Good luck!

sugarbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbird Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 17

I work in an Italian Bakery.. so the espresso is always flowing. They must be immune to it. I have found that I can't have one until after lunch if I want my writing and piping to be straight.
I am in awe of those who can pipe or write WITHOUT using a bracing finger or five, from the other hand.
Don't feel bad, I just re-watched an Ace of Cakes - Duff pipes using 2 hands!!
speaking of hands... anyone else a lefty? Could be a good thread... tips for those of use who have to do it all "backwards"!
SB

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbird

speaking of hands... anyone else a lefty? Could be a good thread... tips for those of use who have to do it all " backwards"!
SB

I'm not a lefty but I'm mostly ambidexterous (except for minute thing such as writing). I wonder how many things I do "backwards" because I do them with either hand. I know I make gumpaste roses backwards- I lay the petals in the opposite direction that the directions said because it was easier, I don't remember which hand I used to lay it down- I think both. That would be an interesting thread!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 17

Great advice...to steady your right hand by touching it with the index finger of your left hand. It works great. I always do that. Also think about where you are starting your move and where you are going to end it. Go from one point to the next and all of that nervousness inbetween will disappear. Don't give up on using buttercream, you will find it is sooo much fun to work with.

moodswinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moodswinger Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:41am
post #10 of 17

I am a lefty, and so I have to stay away from directions!!!! Trying to decide what to switch, and which way to go, makes me absolutely crazzzzzy! icon_mad.gif I just look at the picture, and do the best as I can with it! As for the shakes, I have had them all my life! God has to have a sense of humor to give me a passion for cakes and decorating~ icon_lol.gif I have to hold the bag tightly with right over left, and hope the icing doesn't melt, before I get done decorating! Good Luck!!! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:51am
post #11 of 17

My hands shake if I go slow.... so with handwriting or scrolls I have to get in my mind how its going to look and then just start in and do it fast so I get it out without making the icing look "wiggly".

jaitee69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaitee69 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:52am
post #12 of 17

I'm glad it's not only me! My hands always shake, but it seems worse when I'm decorating. For the most part, handwriting on my cakes is horrible because of this! Even if I'm doing well, once I think "Hey my hands aren't shaking and this is looking okay" - forget about it. They start to shake again!! You're not alone.

Deanna

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:51am
post #13 of 17

Oh my hands shake horribly. It was really bad tonight when I was trying to make spongebob CT's. What's even worse is when my sugar levels go down. They shake like crazy. I think that's why I will never bake professionally. I'll just stick with doing my DD's birthday cakes. That way they can't criticize my work. icon_lol.gif

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:26am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswinger

I am a lefty, and so I have to stay away from directions!!!! Trying to decide what to switch, and which way to go, makes me absolutely crazzzzzy!

Me too! Now I'm trying to show my DD a few things (she's 8 ) & she's a righty, so I need to figure out how to do it the other way around icon_confused.gif

My writing is terrible, but I do usually steady my writing hand with one or two fingers from my other hand. DD pipes with two hands but that's mostly because she doesn't have the strength yet to only use one hand. I never noticed Duff doing that!

-Lisa

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:36am
post #15 of 17

Breathe! I started noticing as I was piping that I was holding my breath because I'd be nervous about it. I guess we need oxygen to the brain icon_smile.gif

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:54pm
post #16 of 17

along with shaking, when I al doing something on the side of the cake, I have trouble getting it to stay attached. Am I going to slow, too fast? I always touch tip to start, and end, but the middle just flops!

Brandonsmommy Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:17pm
post #17 of 17

I be I am holding my breath...........and freaking myself out b/c I am so critical of myself I see the problem before I make it I guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%