Working With Fondant

Decorating By pattymarie Updated 15 Sep 2006 , 3:37am by Wendoger

pattymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattymarie Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:59am
post #1 of 6

I recently made a three-tier, three layer cake and covered it with fondant (posted in celebration/graduation section). Because I wanted the fondant brown, I worked in brown wilton coloring paste. When I covered the bottom layer (12X12), the fondant starting cracking along the top edges. I don't know if it's because I worked the fondant too much that it dried out or if the sides were too heavy that it was pulling downward. I quickly trimmed the bottom section and tried to smooth the fondant out. There weren't any cracks in the 8X8 and 4X4 layers. Can anyone educate me on the coloring method when using fondant? Or maybe some pointers so that the fondant doesn't crack anymore? Thanks!! icon_sad.gif

5 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:35am
post #2 of 6

Well, you certainly can't tell in the picture. It is a beautiful cake! I had the same problem with chocolate MMF I used - I thought maybe it was the chocolate, or I may have handled it too much, trying to get it right. I need to know, too, so here's a BUMP...

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:44am
post #3 of 6

If you are referring to the fondant cracking on the edges where it rolls over the edge--if it is a tiny crack, just rub a little white crisco over it and it will cover it.
Are you using a lot of powdered sugar when you are rolling it out?

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:44am
post #4 of 6

Here's another bump - I am interested to know also.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 6

My advice for what its worth is to keep rubbing it the cracks will eventually go. you could also mix a bit of yuor fondant icing with water and fill in the cracks and rub it after the paste dries. Just add one drop of water at a time till you get the right consistancy. Icing sugar also works but just rubbing is the best suggestion.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:37am
post #6 of 6

...is this mmf that you made or storebought? If its mmf that you made, did you color it right after ya took it out of the microwave? Thats the best time for coloring.
If it store bought, (like wilton's which does get dry quickly) then ya probly needed to work in some crisco...I had the same problem with wilton's brown and I had to work in a buncha crisco.
icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%