Crying..mad...upset...so Disgusted And Feeling

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 12:58pm by RRGibson

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 10:23pm
post #31 of 42

KelleyM I don't know what look I was looking for LOL I think I was in such a panic to get them pinched and set on their side that I just shot through them. But I LOVE your tutorial...and guys I think I am going to try again...in the morning lol!! Thank you so much for that tutorial !! I think I just made it so much harder than it really was. And maybe because it was like 100 percent humidity here that it caused my patience to melt 8o ...anyways thank you all so much for your support and help!!!!

As far as why Im queen of big babies...lets just say, I never had a baby under 9 pds (1st child) and 3rd child was almost 12 pds! icon_biggrin.gif So the queen of big babies stuck to me icon_smile.gif

tiptop I can't believe you can't make a rose, you are so good at all you do!!

eme your loops are just absolutely gorgeous and I took notes from you also! Thank you!

B777fan I heard GP dries really fast...would that be good for a beginner to use?

thank you all for answering my questions, the way I acted earlier you would of thought I was 12 again throwing a fit like a baby

b777fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
b777fan Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 10:34pm
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

B777fan I heard GP dries really fast...would that be good for a beginner to use?

I have been using GP for less than a year, and for bow loops, it becomes fairly easy to use with the right precautions. I usually cut about three or four strips at a time, and you can keep the extra covered in wrap or a sandwich bag to keep from drying out. If I do the few at a time, I don't have a problem with it drying out too much before it takes the desired loop shape. If the surface gets a little "wrinkled" from having air-dried too much before bending, I just ball it up and, with a little Crisco, it goes back to a pliable form. If you are not comfortable with all GP, you could use half fondant and half GP to have the pliable nature of fondant with the quick drying action of GP. You could also use the practice board from Wilton or some plastic wrap to put over the cut out strips as you are working.

You can use the clear vanilla to pinch the ends of the loop together, but sometimes if the GP is moist enough, I haven't had to take this step.

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 10:43pm
post #33 of 42

wgoat5 - Hi, I've only just made my first bow on a cake last Sunday. I actually made all the loops and my daughter assembled the bow.
Firstly, I think your fondant is too thick and uneven. Have you tried rolling out your fondant between two skewers that are the same size? That way your fondant will be the same thickness.
I also make a template of the bow. Sized to the top of your cake - Takes a bit of mucking around but saves grief in the end.
Then l hang the bows over dowel or cardboard roll, pinch the ends well with flower glue and dry it well.
Then, here comes the frustrating bit - I lay out the bows on the bottom layer - one up, one down ie. one bow flat side down, one bow flat side up. That is for the bottom layer. That is all supported by a glob of fondant and RI if need be. Then using RI continue with the second layer and let the bows fall where naturally they fall using RI as you go. My daughter (14) spent a long time just trying on a mat to get the right shape. Then when it comes time to assemble on the cake you have a fair idea how you want he bows to fall.
I hope this helps and here are the pics.
LL
LL

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 10:52pm
post #34 of 42

Im glad you told me about the skewers! I asked that question on another topic and my ? never got answered!! That is such a great idea....and the template is a good idea to get nice and uniform loops. And your daughter did it????? Wow that is beautiful!! I think I can I think I can!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 10:59pm
post #35 of 42

My only attempt at bow-making went pretty good. I put the ribbons over a thick dowel and pinched the ends underneath, then let them dry like that. I found a tutorial that had me assemble the bow in a bowl and used candy melts as the glue. Good results.

maria892 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:00pm
post #36 of 42

That's the way, you just have to know the tricks and I'm learning all the time!! I'm no expert - it's just what I learn in class and cakes I do for home. And also when you cut each piece, run your finger gently along the edge to smooth out the rough bit on the cut edges. Makes for a nice finish and looks neat and clean....
I feel you are upbeat and will try again eh??
Good Luck!!

PS. The tapered end is important because that's what you use to attach the ends to the fondant glob and allows the loops to sit evenly. When you fold it around the dowel attach the ends and give it a good, gentle pinch.....

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:00pm
post #37 of 42

I read somewhere use a blob of fondant as your baase. Maybe that will help.

maria892 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:10pm
post #38 of 42

wgoat5 - thanks for your compliment. I'll be there in a minute with my DD - just post me the ticket and I'll be seeing you...... and don't think there wasn't any tempers and huffing and puffing and "let me do it!!" NO "let me do it!!!" OK YOU DO IT!!!
It's not all peachy and roses. but in the end she assembled very well and I am proud of her. Feather ruffling is just all part of it - then we hug and say Well Done!!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:35pm
post #39 of 42

wow kelleym that tutorial makes it look sooooo easy I bet even I can make one now lol I cant wait to have an excuse to make a bow thank you thank you thank you !!!

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:41pm
post #40 of 42

lol I didn't even notice you were in Australia!! icon_sad.gif

I will post pics tomorrow as I go along and maybe if I have goofed up you all can correct it before it gets bad icon_biggrin.gif

and you are very welcome that cake deserves a compliment!!!

sable905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sable905 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:00am
post #41 of 42

I found that finding a bowl the size that you want your bow to be very helpful. Then all you have to do is create the bow inside of the bowl. That way if one loop is too big you'll know before it's on your cake. Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:58pm
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by b777fan

I am sorry to read that you are experiencing such frustrations. If I have run out of time, I usually reserve some of the gum paste that I used to make the bow, and I build up the layers by adding gum paste balls and vanilla. Then, I curl up some ribbon to place in between any loops where I might want to conceal a spot. After the gum paste has some time to dry, it is good to move over to the cake without too much moving around. I hope that this helps; I have not had any bows to fall apart on me this way.

So you stick the loops into the little gumpaste ball to hold the bow together? Do you have to cut them into Vs to do that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%