Ideas For Jewelry Store Sample Cake

Decorating By cakesbyamym Updated 3 May 2013 , 11:54am by AAtKT

cakesbyamym Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:02am
post #1 of 13

I am taking a sample cake to a local jewelry store on Friday. I'd like to do something that tied into their business if possible. Any ideas? I want to do this cake extra good, as the sales person that I spoke with on the phone is getting married in April 2007, and hasn't yet contracted with anyone for the wedding cake!

Thanks in advance,

12 replies
Doug Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:10am
post #2 of 13

even tho' they don't sell them...tiara on a pillow

diamond or other ring on a pillows or in a ring box (could use those big lollipops shaped like a over-sized diamond on a ring.

cake that looks like a long narrow box like necklace comes in w/ fondant pearls as a pearl necklace and could even have matching earrings.

sheet cake cut to look like a really big diamond

Melvira Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:20am
post #3 of 13

You should do something simple, yet elegant... cover in fondant, keep it somewhat plain, but make a pearl necklace out of white fondant and brush it with pearl lustre dust. Then get some candy jewels... not the fake opaque kind... someone turned me on to these candies that looks exactly like jewels...UGH let me go find the name! But you know how they do displays in the jewelers window where they have like a scattering of loose stones, you could do that and the necklace and sort of tie it all together with some simple pattern on the side of the cake. Oh man, now I'm excited... can I come over and help! icon_lol.gif Let me see if I can find the website for the jewels just so you know what I am talking about... BRB!!

Melvira Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:56am
post #4 of 13

I'VE GOT IT!! I knew if I sat here thumping myself on the head long enough I'd remember... they are called denials and can be found at They are really pretty neat looking, and I think that would be an awesome cake! I just love how they do that in the window with the loose stones sometimes. Anyway, you could tie the cake in with pearl borders to match the necklace. Even do a necklace, bracelet, earrings set in pearls, then the loose stones, or use denials to create jewelry pieces. Just an idea. I think you could have a lot of fun with it! Good luck and let us know how it turns out... post a pic of what you end up doing!! thumbs_up.gif

cakesbyamym Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:37am
post #5 of 13

Great ideas. Thank you! I went to for the candy jewels. Only problem is, I'd already called and arranged to deliver this cake on Friday, so no change of my order being here by then. I think that I'll go with the simple yet elegant motif. I was thinking about doing a cake, covered in fondant, to look like the "neck" displays that you see in jewelry cakes. You know, they have pearls draped around them and such? I'll drape the pearls on the "display", add pearl luster dust to add the realistic quality, possibly a price tag, and then, a fbct of the store's logo, made into a placement card. I'll definitely add something else to tie in with the necklace. Wonder if I can MAKE my own loose gems? Hmm... Thanks for the ideas and for getting my juices flowing on this one!!!

KatieTaylor77 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 9:11am
post #6 of 13

I bet someone in the sugar forum would be able to help you in making your own jewels . . . in fact, I know there is a post on there from Doug about making a mold using tin foil propped up in flour or corn starch. I'll dig around for the link . . . it would be perfect to do the strand of pearls with a jeweled piece attached to it . . . is this a dummy cake to showcase your business????

KatieTaylor77 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 9:13am
post #7 of 13
cakesbyamym Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 9:15am
post #8 of 13

This cake is for a sample cake that I scheduled to deliver on Friday. There is a possibility that I may be able to place a dummy wedding cake in this store, too, so it could mean big things for me. Thanks for the link, too!!!

KatieTaylor77 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 9:26am
post #9 of 13

Just a thought . . . but if you are hoping to place a dummy cake in the store to drum up some busines . . .
I would do a dummy cake with pearls around the bottom . . . and jewels . . . something that looks like antique jewelry . . . It would be a more obvious advertisement for your business but also tie in really well with the jewelry store . . . . you see so many wedding cakes with flowers on them, this one would stand out.
Have fun, post a pic when your done!

Melvira Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 12:07pm
post #10 of 13

Oh man! It's too bad you can't get the jewels by Friday... but if they like this one and want a display for the window, maybe you coudl go with that idea! Good luck!

cakeladywalker Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 13

The idea of the Pearls & Jewels sounds great. SIMPLE but, ELEGANT. Since no one is eating the cake you can get NON EDIBLE JEWELS from Hobby Lobby. I would love to the see the picture when your done.
CONGRATS!*!*!**! Don't forget to leave PLENTY of cards!!!

Since your making a cake dummy, has the jewerly store had you cake before? If not, I'd make up some samples for them. icon_wink.gif

atemanli Posted 3 May 2013 , 8:15am
post #12 of 13

I like DIY jewelry.

AAtKT Posted 3 May 2013 , 11:54am
post #13 of 13

Another thread brought up from the depths of the archives I see... 2006... Dang...

Quote by @%username% on %date%