My Daughter Just Ripped Apart My Cake!

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 10:48pm by AuntieElle

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 32

I just made the most beautiful cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=801653
But, I left it on the kitchen table. I was planning on taking it out into our rose garden for some more photos, but when I came back into the kitchen, my daughter (2) was sitting on the table with her little fingers covered in blue fondant! At first I thought she had just done it on the back, so I thought it was no big deal cause I would turn it so no one could see it. BUT, there are little finger holes all over the bottom tier. She was digging into it for the MMF, and picking off the royal icing.
icon_cry.gif

31 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 32

OMG! I'm so sorry, but it's kind of funny! I know you'll laugh about it eventually! icon_wink.gif When I first read the title I thought at first that it was an adult child who verbally bashed your cake... I was like, "Oh no... we're going to have to start doling out spankings!" The cake is gorgeous though! Or... was!!

Edited to add: At least you got SOME pictures before she killed it! icon_wink.gif

Valentinemommy2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valentinemommy2002 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 32

(((((Hugs)))) to you.....I can sympathize with you (I have triplets whom you MUST NEVER turn your back on!!) I hope that it was a practice cake and not something that you need today!

lilytexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilytexas Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 32

I don't blame you little one, the cake looks sooooo yummy.

littlewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlewoman Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 32

Count to one hundred and remember that you love her...Was this for a customer or practice. It is beautiful....

summernoelle Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 32

Well, it was a cake dummy, thank goodness for that. Can you imagine if it was for an actual wedding?
When I saw what she did, I basically thought, well, at least it won't be so hard for me to take it apart and make a new cake. I always have a hard time taking apart practice cakes because I love them so much! So I guess she was just helping. icon_smile.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 32

Cake looks great. Sorry your daughter got into it. She must have like the frosting. I hope it was not for a customer. When I make cakes for my kids I had to sleep on the couch, did not trust them into getting the cake. Now that they are older, I can sleep in my bed. Did you take a picture of her with frosting on her face.

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 32

I thought the same thing, that it was an older child who didn't like your work... didn't know you meant she ripped it apart LITERALLY!
I feel your pain. I once made four separate cakes for a baby shower that spelled out the word "BABY" and when I finished decorating them, my 3 year old got to them... some quick baking had to fix it, or we'd have been having a "PABY" shower.
But your cake was beautiful! Congratulations on that!
Erin

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 32

The cake was beautiful. I know how you feel. I also have a 2yr daughter that stands right next to the cakes saying mmmmmmm good. I know it's just a matter of time.

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 32

It's an amazing looking cake. Just keep telling yourself, she's mine, she's mine, she's mine. God bless you.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 32

Can you make more flowers and disguise it?It really is a lovely cake.

2 year olds, gotta love them or eat them (like wild animals do)

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 32

The cake is beautiful. My daughter is 2 1/2 and when I am making a cake, at least for someone else I always give her a little bowl of icing just for her so she will leave mine alone. It has worked so far. Keeping my fingers crossed!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 32

icon_eek.gif I had just seen and commented on your cake not an hour ago! When did this happen?

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:58pm
post #14 of 32

My dog ate an entire platter of Christmas cookies and treats that I had spent an entire day making. I walked away for a MINUTE and that dog destroyed the entire platter leaving only crumbs. He must have been choking it all down as fast as he could. I cried, yelled, and then laughed.

summernoelle Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 32

Well, I took the cake outside, took some photos, brought in the camera download the photos onto the computer, and while I was doing that and putting them on CC, well, that is when she attacked. She has to be tricky, and she is. icon_rolleyes.gif I wish I could have had it pretty for a little while longer! I was waiting for the sun to get in the right place to take pictures by some roses that are blooming right now. At lease I got some good photos.

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:06pm
post #16 of 32

i TOTALLY understand! i have a 2yr old as well. as soon as i pull the bag of powdered sugar out of the cupboard, her sugar radar starts beeping and she's at my side! ....and then my 4yr old joins her, both BEGGING for frosting..... btw - your cake is gorgeous! i'd have a hard time taking it apart too!

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:26pm
post #17 of 32

Oh hon, I'm soooo sorry! That cake is/was beautiful. I have 2 1/2 year old twins and have been in your position on more than one occasion, unfortunately. I've found that it's best to just walk away repeating the mantra "I love my children" until I stop seeing red. Usually only takes a few hours, a day at the most.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ldydesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ldydesignr Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:39pm
post #18 of 32

You lucked out that it was a practice cake....beautiful too, by the way!! But when you put such beatiful, sweet objects in front of children you know its going to tempt them. They do have the talent of cat burglers too, knowing the most opportune time to strike!! icon_biggrin.gif Years ago, was making a wedding cake for my cousin and two of my neices ran their finger along the entire bottom layer to get icing! Had to reicing the bottom layer. Of course, we laugh now...somehow it wan't quite so funny then.

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:40pm
post #19 of 32

Oh, you simply MUST get a picture of her digging into it...for future reference... Too cute! icon_razz.gif

summernoelle Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:56pm
post #20 of 32

Well, I should show you the finished product, but I usually can't figure out how to get the photo small enough to post it in the forum.
I had that problem a couple of months ago when she got into my b-l-a-c-k food coloring.

Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:42pm
post #21 of 32

I agree, It's a beautiful cake and atleast you got one good photo of it!!!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:56pm
post #22 of 32

What an amazing cake!!! Can you take off the botton tier and just have it as a small tiered cake?

She sounds cute! Hope you got a photo of "icing face" too!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 7:24pm
post #23 of 32

That cake is beautiful!! thankfully you got that picture.

OMG that's too funny. i know, i know i wouldn't be laughing at all if it was my 2.5 yo DD. Thankfully she's been pretty good with keeping her fingers off the cakes. And i don't have a lot of option on where to keep them away. It's just my dining room table and that's it. She likes to play with fondant and i let her, just to keep her away. But she too knows when there's frosting around and always wants some. Gotta love kids!

summernoelle Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 7:32pm
post #24 of 32

I think she saw it just wanted to eat it. She kept telling me "eat", and I kept telling her no, so I should have known better! She loves loves loves cake, and will look at photos and pretend to take big bites out of them. Hmmmm. Maybe she'll help me open a bakery one day.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:55am
post #25 of 32

I believe I have the only 2yo that knows what a piping bag is for and NEVER EVER EVER put your fingers near Mommy when she's making a cake other than to have mommy pipe on fingers at least a foot away from Mommy's side... She knows EXACTLY what the term "Naughty fingers" translates into!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

She'll eat a piece of cake, but she knows better than to want to touch them for some reason. I guess we're lucky or just good at keeping an eye on her.

Either way, at least it was a dummy and not for a large order!!!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 7:58am
post #26 of 32

one day....far far away...you will laugh about this.

Thank goodness my children are older now. This happened to me once too with a cake I was donating for an auction. I can almost laugh about it now. ; )

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #27 of 32

Kids do the craziest things!!

KandKsMadre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KandKsMadre Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 9:19pm
post #28 of 32

Oh no!! Your cake was gorgeous!! I love the flower border you have!! I have a two year old son who would have done the exact same thing, so I can sympathize!! I'm glad you at least got a picture before she tore into it!! It must have been tasty icon_biggrin.gif

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 12:05am
post #29 of 32

My kids are 1 and 3.... so, I've also had a few cakes "redesigned" by them. sheesh. I'm so glad it wasn't for an actual wedding today, when I was first reading your post I thought that might be the case but I'm SO glad it's not.

Good thing we love our children more than our cakes. Right??? .. icon_lol.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 12:20am
post #30 of 32

Make sure you get some 'after' pictures so you can show them to her prom date someday, ha ha. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%