Red Velvet Wedding Cake?

Decorating By bethmck Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 12:25am by FrostinGal

bethmck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethmck Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 15

My future daughter loves Red Velvet cake. I cannot find any RV wedding cakes on your website. Is it possible to stack three tiers of Red Velvet cake? Is there any problem with that much food coloring bleeding into the frosting? Is that much food coloring healthy?

14 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 15

I did a cake last month that had three different cakes with three different flavors of cake/filling. One was a red velvet. I used a mix, so I'm sure it's different (I don't like red velvet and don't care to develop a recipe, LOL). Anyway, that cake had white buttercream on it. If you crumb coat it first and leave it to crust completely, then go back and add your final icing coat, it should be okay. It's what I did and I didn't get any bleeding.

Deanna

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 15

I forgot to say, welcome to Cake Central!

Deanna

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 15

I did a red velvet wedding a few years back. I crumb coated, then added two more coats of buttercream, smoothing in between each one, and it worked out fine. icon_smile.gif

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 15

We had a red velvet groom's cake at our wedding. It was a 12" square with buttercream. No bleed, cake looked absolutely perfect.

TMMBBW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TMMBBW Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:00am
post #6 of 15

I've seen red velvet wedding cakes and they're done just as others have said, make sure to do a crumb coat or use fondant. Another option (and this is not for tradional cakes) is dark colors, a friend did a beautiful asian themed cake that was covered in black fondant with red symbols. My only other tip is to make sure that the cake itself isn't too soft otherwise it might not want to hold it's own weight.

mocakiss86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakiss86 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:41am
post #7 of 15

I agree with TooMuchCake-with the mix you don't have to see all that die. Smoothing that way is the only way, too. It is the most crumbling of the cakes I do. If you use cream cheese filling make it stiff - it is a soft icing for support. I won't do a whole wedding.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 15

Not to hijack this thread....but I have a couple questions on this same subject. I have a bride who wants red velvet also. It is to be the top tier and the bottom will be white. She wants butter cream icing. My first question is does red velvet taste ok with butter cream. Second, does box red velvet taste close to scratch? I've had red velvet, but not for a long time, and I have never made one. Thanks

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 15

the big 14" heart of the wedding cake in my photos was red velvet iced in plain wilton bc. it was delicious! i used the doctored DH red velvet recipe from this site (add an extra egg, choc instant pudding, and sub water for buttermilk) actually i used skim in place of buttermilk because I didn't have any and it was still good lol, the doctoring makes the cake much denser. I had no dye bleeding problems and i don't crumb coat (i frost frozen though). the chocolate pudding makes the cake a little darker tinted but its still so red I don't add extra dye. i LOOOOVE red velvet cake!

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 15

There is a recipe on this site--"Sarah's Red Velvet Cake" or something like that. I just made one last week. It came out really good, except not bright red like I was used to b/c I didn't have liquid red color only gel and was unsure how much to use. Good luck!

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:05am
post #11 of 15

Thank You. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:06am
post #12 of 15

My first wedding cake ever was red velvet (see my recipe on this site). It worked fine w/o any problems at all! It was 3 tiers stacked w/ cream cheese frosting and I didn't have any bleeding problems at all!

mannjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mannjc Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:51pm
post #13 of 15

the waldorf astoria recipe on this site is the best red velvet cake i've ever made and i always get rave reviews! It uses shorteing instead of butter and i think that is what makes a world of difference with RV cakes! It doesn't even compare to a box mix, trust me!!! Also, the BC actually tastes pretty good with Rv since its not really a sweet cake, they balance eachother out. As long as you put the cake in the freezer for a little while to chill up and do a couple of thin crumb coats your cake will be a hit!!!!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 15

I have done entire Red Velvet wedding cakes and not had a problem.
I do use a doctored box mix, though.
To each box I add:
1/4 cup cocoa
2 T sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 extra egg
a splash of vanilla
3 T of water

(This is my doctoring though, so results may vary!)

Stick the layers in the freezer just until they are cold, not rock hard. Then crumb coat, stick in fridge for a bit, take out and frost as usual.

I've used buttercream and cream cheese icing...buttercream tastes great on it, too.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:25am
post #15 of 15

I have two wedding cakes for November with RV cake. They wanted to taste it, and I wanted to be sure that I could make it, so I doctored a box of BC Butter cake. I added 1/4 c of cocoa, substituted 1 c. of sour cream for the water, used milk for the rest, and added about 1/2-1 tsp or Red-Red gel paste. Very yummy cake! In fact, it was the first bride's idea, but the second bride loved it so much, she ordered it for her cake, too.
FWIW, I have read on another forum that there was a problem with a bride who had issues with buttercream on the RV cake. She did not want to pay for the cream cheese upgrade, then complained that everyone didn't like the taste of the cake with the buttercream. People expect cream cheese frosting with RV, so I will never sell anything but. It is part of the special flavor, and is charged accordingly.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%