Heavy Whipping Cream Question

Decorating By tcvillegas Updated 13 Sep 2006 , 3:26pm by frider

tcvillegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcvillegas Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 17

Need help!!! I am new at trying out new icing recipes and do not know what "HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM" is. the recipe calls for the heavy whipping cream to be boiled with other ingredients (I am trying to learn how to make caramel icing). Is this the same as a non-dairy whipping cream?

Appreciate all the inputs and tips I can get. Thanks in advance.

16 replies
JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 17

No it's not the same. It is cream with a high fat ratio. Where do you live? Here in the states you can find this in the fridge section where they sale whipped cream in the can.

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 17

heavy whipping cream us just whipping cream (35%). I wouldn't use non-dairy, it will break down when you heat it up.

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 17

I get my heavy whipping cream in the dairy case of Safeway (Ralphs or Lons in other parts of the country). It comes in a Pint or Quart sized container. There is Whipping Cream (less fat) and Heavy Whipping Cream (LOTS of fat). I always use heavy cream because it seems to make everything richer and smoother.

tcvillegas Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

No it's not the same. It is cream with a high fat ratio. Where do you live? Here in the states you can find this in the fridge section where they sale whipped cream in the can.

Thanks for the reply. I live in the Philippines. Any tips on how I will know if its heavy whipping cream. We have a local product which is an "all-purpose cream". Its packaged in a tetra-packaging.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 17

Look at the fat content. Heavy cream will contain 35% fat or more. You can increase the fat content of regular cream (about 25% fat), by adding butter. I found this out in the Cake Bible. If you need to know how to do it, PM me and I'll give you the instructions. The only cream I can get here is 25% fat cream, so I have to do it all the time, it works well!

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 17

It will say heavy cream on the carton. Not usually more than 8oz to a pint in size. icon_smile.gif

tcvillegas Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Look at the fat content. Heavy cream will contain 35% fat or more. You can increase the fat content of regular cream (about 25% fat), by adding butter. I found this out in the Cake Bible. If you need to know how to do it, PM me and I'll give you the instructions. The only cream I can get here is 25% fat cream, so I have to do it all the time, it works well!

Thanks so much for the help. Yes, will PM you for furthur instructions.

frider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frider Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcvillegas

Need help!!! I am new at trying out new icing recipes and do not know what "HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM" is. the recipe calls for the heavy whipping cream to be boiled with other ingredients (I am trying to learn how to make caramel icing). Is this the same as a non-dairy whipping cream?

Appreciate all the inputs and tips I can get. Thanks in advance.

Heavy whipping cream is also known as double cream. Half and half is single cream.

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 17

If using the cream in the carmel (melted sugar), and you can only find regular whipping cream it shouldn't make too much of a differance. If you are adding it to another part of the recipe, it may make a big differance.

frider Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 17

If you need to make your own whipping cream, you can try the following to make one cup of heavy whipping cream:

1/3 cup unsalted butter

plus

3/4 cup of whole milk or 1 cup of evaporated skim milk.

Good luck.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 17

Wow icon_surprised.gif
What a great tip about the butter/milk combo to make whipping cream! Didn't know that.

tcvillegas Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:58am
post #13 of 17

Thanks Frider, your tip on butter/milk combo looks interesting and cost-efficient!!! Whipping cream is quite expensive in the Philippines. One last (stupid) question though icon_redface.gif - do i simply combine the butter and cream (whisk it perhaps?) before using in the recipe. I am trying to learn how to make caramel icing and the recipe calls for the heavy cream to be cooked together with the other ingredients.

Appreciate your help! thumbs_up.gif

mid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mid Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:11am
post #14 of 17

Hi tcvillegas.... I'm from Singapore....For heavy whipping cream....I used Dairy whipping cream....I use it for making chocolate ganache, chocolate mousse cake.

But when you whip it, carefull not to overbeat coz it will turn lumpy.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:30am
post #15 of 17

I am also learning to make new things, such as the MMF I tried for the second time. It worked this time. I also made a whipped raspberry filling for another cake, and had to use heavy whipping cream. The first batch, I whipped too much.
When it says soft peaks, whip it until it looks kinda thick, but still a tad soupy. It will stiffen up. You just have to watch it and determine when its stiff enough. I got the second batch right. But the first batch turned kind of yellowish and lumpy, like curds almost.
Have fun experimenting! I know I'm having a very tasty time icon_smile.gif

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 3:24am
post #16 of 17

Yep, if you whip it too long you'll get butter icon_smile.gif

frider Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 3:26pm
post #17 of 17

Yes, too much enthusiasm and a brand new stand mixer will have you making butter each and every time.

tcvillegas, let both come to room temperature and combine. Whip after so that you don't end up with just butter. Btw, I got the tip originally from the software program I really like, Mastercook.

I also have a book by Bo Friberg about pastry baking that describes how to make ricotta cheese and marscapone and such. Turns out it's pretty easy and cost-efficient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%