Non Dairy Yellow Cake

Baking By kjgjam22 Updated 6 Feb 2013 , 9:04pm by nuzzymom1

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 9

i was asked to do a non dairy yellow cake. i bought an egg replacer. its a powder that you add water to. the cake didnt come out too bad. but it wasnt what i wanted. does anyone have a good recipe that they can share? no eggs butter or milk.

8 replies
kjgjam22 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 9

no one does vege cakes????

bump bump bump

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 9

Oh, do I have one for you! I was just experimenting with this very thing yesterday.

My favorite chocolate cake of all time is Crazy Cake. It's a recipe that came from the depression era, when staples were at a premium. No eggs, no milk, no butter. It's a vegan cake. But it's the most moist, perfectly chocolaty, fabulous cake ever. And more simple than a box mix. It's on the dense side, and very very moist. But it carves, stacks, an keeps very well.

For years I've thought, gee, I wish I had a white or yellow cake recipe as honking easy and wonderful as my crazy cake recipe. I've scowered the internet, I've tried many a recipe. Nothing impressed me. I was looking for incredibly easy + tasty.

Then yesterday I had my "doh" moment. What if I make crazy cake--and don't add the cocoa powder? I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it before. And the result was really delicious. Score! Here are the two recipes:

Original Crazy Cake (best freakin chocolate cake recipe ever, plus easy as can be)

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups cold water

Mix in your trusty mixer, pour batter in a 9x13 pan, and bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Yellow Cake Crazy Cake Variation

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (extra 1/2 c here to make up for the missing cocoa)
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 teaspoons vanilla extract (I boosted the vanilla. Gives it a gorgeous yellow color without eggs.)
2 cups cold water

Same baking instructions.

Want white cake? Use clear vanilla. Maybe a little butter flavoring. Want strawberry cake? Decrease the oil and add strawberry puree. Lemon cake? Throw lemon extract and zest in the mix. Go crazy!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 9

Wow that sounds awesome!!! I'm gonna have to try those recipes too - sounds simple enough! Another thing you could do is look at your natural foods stores or even some grocery stores for Cherrybrook Farm cake mixes - I think that's what it's called - you can find it online too. I'm pretty sure they are dairy free - I know they are egg and nut free. It's made by someone w/ food allergies for people w/ food allergies..... I think it has soy in it if I remember correctly. I haven't tried it yet but I'd love to hear your results if you do! It's in our "Sugar Free" section in the grocery store and in the baking aisle at the Whole Foods or Wild Oats stores. Good luck!

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 9

I don't know if it is dairy-free, but... the Aldi store brand cake mix(white) is milk-free. I use it for a boy at church that is deathly allergic to milk. It tastes prety good.

kjgjam22 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthyrth

Oh, do I have one for you! I was just experimenting with this very thing yesterday.

My favorite chocolate cake of all time is Crazy Cake. It's a recipe that came from the depression era, when staples were at a premium. No eggs, no milk, no butter. It's a vegan cake. But it's the most moist, perfectly chocolaty, fabulous cake ever. And more simple than a box mix. It's on the dense side, and very very moist. But it carves, stacks, an keeps very well.

For years I've thought, gee, I wish I had a white or yellow cake recipe as honking easy and wonderful as my crazy cake recipe. I've scowered the internet, I've tried many a recipe. Nothing impressed me. I was looking for incredibly easy + tasty.

Then yesterday I had my "doh" moment. What if I make crazy cake--and don't add the cocoa powder? I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it before. And the result was really delicious. Score! Here are the two recipes:

Original Crazy Cake (best freakin chocolate cake recipe ever, plus easy as can be)

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups cold water

Mix in your trusty mixer, pour batter in a 9x13 pan, and bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Yellow Cake Crazy Cake Variation

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (extra 1/2 c here to make up for the missing cocoa)
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 teaspoons vanilla extract (I boosted the vanilla. Gives it a gorgeous yellow color without eggs.)
2 cups cold water

Same baking instructions.

Want white cake? Use clear vanilla. Maybe a little butter flavoring. Want strawberry cake? Decrease the oil and add strawberry puree. Lemon cake? Throw lemon extract and zest in the mix. Go crazy!

thanks for the recipe... i will try it out and see how it works. i have bought this powdered egg replacer i will put it in and see how it works too. thanks again.

sectheatre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sectheatre Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 9

I am allergic to eggs and I mess around a lot trying to find a good egg-less cake recipe. I haven't found much yet, but I did find that the powdered egg replaced kind of sucks by itself. It does better if you add a package of gelatin to help it stick together. icon_smile.gif

kjgjam22 Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 9

i will try that. sounds good.

nuzzymom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nuzzymom1 Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 9

AI know I'm asking way after, but did the recipe actually work?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%